steven rosen in 2008

Post Vinnie and Vinnie related interveiews here
doublev

steven rosen in 2008

Post by doublev »

This is from an email with Steven Rosen in 2008. I had asked him about the interview he did and if he knew if V was still playing music...
Hey Dino: How are you. Yeah, I did an interview with Vinnie for a project called Pro-Talk - a little audio tape that was put out by a company called REH Publications. I'm surprised you knew about it. I met Vinnie through my friend Jimmy Waldo. Jimmy was (is) keyboard player in a band called Alcatrazz. They've reformed with an amazing new singer and guitar player - watch for them. But Jimmy had worked with Vinnie before.

Vinnie is a funny guy. He put out that Vinnie Vincent Invasion album and it was the worst. He had pissed off his band - the one that went off to form Slaughter - and then put out the garbage with the VVI. Vinnie has to have things his own way. He thought he needed to be this over-the-top screaming player playing a million notes a minute. He can play that stuff but what he's really amazing at is more controlled playing ala Beck. He's an incredible songwriter and could have done something like a really heavy Bon Jovi.

I think Vinnie moved to Nashville but I'm not really sure. I think he still does sessions as a guitarist and may still be writing.

But I loved Vinnine. He was nice enough to sit down with me and do that Pro-Talk tape. He was holding a guitar and he was showing me his little licks - they were incredible. Vinnie just couldn't get out of his own way. He could have been a huge artist if he'd been willing to listen to other people.

Anyway, hope this helps, Dino. Be well.

Steven Rosen
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

Did they meet in 2008 ?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Hammer. Nail. Head. Bang.

Sums it up perfectly, sadly enough. Some people don't like the VVI stuff, though we do, it's a smaller audience than what Vinnie could have achieved considering his incredible talents.

Vinnie's problems with other people led to the demise of his own band, which robbed us of further albums there. A heavy Bon Jovi thing, Vinnie style would have been awesome.

If only Vinnie would have trusted and listened to others. If he'd listened to Gene and Paul together they would have ruled as they wrote fantastic songs together and the vocals were awesome on LIU.

If he'd not pissed off his own band we could at least have had more VVI type stuff but we are still waiting for that. Always waiting.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Again, Why not release albums under different musical genres. Shredder ,pop/rock, rock/jazz/fusion (ala Jeff Beck), Country,etc...

Vinnie could have, AND STILL CAN, have it all if he would only "get out of his own way."

Vinnie , we still believe. THAT says a lot. WE are still here.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

No the interview was audio only in '88 or '87. I spoke to him in 2008. I was trying to find a copy of the interview on tape. I didn't post it as I didn't think it painted the best image of v, but now it seemed accurate some what. A lot of the old timers didn't understand that some great violin masters played that fast, it was just because it was present so over the top they didn't like it. Grover Jackson said just about the same story but a little stronger and he didn't like vvi either
metatron

Post by metatron »

Personally I love the Invasion albums. They don't sound wrong or over the top fast to me. But that's what I'm into. And like Dino pointed out, some great violin masters played that fast. That was the style. Can't bag Vinnie for that. Think he was in some ways turning up the eXXXcitment. He was in KISS after all. Where do you go from that. Bigger, Faster Louder. 2 be played a Maximum Volume.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

metatron wrote:Personally I love the Invasion albums. They don't sound wrong or over the top fast to me. But that's what I'm into. And like Dino pointed out, some great violin masters played that fast. That was the style. Can't bag Vinnie for that. Think he was in some ways turning up the eXXXcitment. He was in KISS after all. Where do you go from that. Bigger, Faster Louder. 2 be played a Maximum Volume.
He can do it all.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Spacewig

Re:

Post by Spacewig »

doublev wrote:No the interview was audio only in '88 or '87. I spoke to him in 2008. I was trying to find a copy of the interview on tape. I didn't post it as I didn't think it painted the best image of v, but now it seemed accurate some what. A lot of the old timers didn't understand that some great violin masters played that fast, it was just because it was present so over the top they didn't like it. Grover Jackson said just about the same story but a little stronger and he didn't like vvi either
Did you ever find a copy of the interview?
poserboy71

Re: Re:

Post by poserboy71 »

Spacewig wrote:
doublev wrote:No the interview was audio only in '88 or '87. I spoke to him in 2008. I was trying to find a copy of the interview on tape. I didn't post it as I didn't think it painted the best image of v, but now it seemed accurate some what. A lot of the old timers didn't understand that some great violin masters played that fast, it was just because it was present so over the top they didn't like it. Grover Jackson said just about the same story but a little stronger and he didn't like vvi either
Did you ever find a copy of the interview?
When I had correspondence with Grover, he never said a thing about HATING Vinnie. He feels badly for him that Vinnie takes things to heart and it affects him in a paralyzing way.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Streetbeat

Re: steven rosen in 2008

Post by Streetbeat »

Yes i totally understand what happens to him, its more than clear, same exact thing my aunt lives with.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yes audio is somewhere on Internet we did find it. Link here somewhere
Bye Bye
Spacewig

Post by Spacewig »

I purchased this in 1988 and still have it!!!
Attachments
691.JPG
689.JPG
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

Cool
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yes I bought it in 88. It was advertised in magazines as mail order. I loved it when it came out.
Bye Bye
Spacewig

Post by Spacewig »

Same here, around the same time I bought the VV instructional VHS. I ordered both from an ad that was in a guitar magazine. "Guitar for the practicing musician" I believe.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

So................spacewig ole buddy, ole pal! Any chance of an upload of the tape?? Ole buddy, ole pal! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
shramiac wrote:So................spacewig ole buddy, ole pal! Any chance of an upload of the tape?? Ole buddy, ole pal! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NEWBEGINNINGS
Spacewig

Post by Spacewig »

shramiac wrote:So................spacewig ole buddy, ole pal! Any chance of an upload of the tape?? Ole buddy, ole pal! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I don't see why not. However, I'm extremely slammed with my business and work! I also travel A LOT with my job. (Like they say, you don't own the company,..the company owns you!) I'll do it for you guys when I manage to get some time off.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Much appreciated. :D

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Spacewig wrote:
I don't see why not. However, I'm extremely slammed with my business and work! I also travel A LOT with my job. (Like they say, you don't own the company,..the company owns you!) I'll do it for you guys when I manage to get some time off.
I hear ya!

Thanks for when you get to do it!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Some parts or all here under vinnie vincent pro talk http://www.kissfaq.com/multimedia/audio/index.html
I am.certain it's on this board somewhere though
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

It's here in parts. Scroll to pro talk 1987 interview http://www.vinnie-vincent.com/multimedia/index.html
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

This is the one you need to scroll to at this site http://www.vinnie-vincent.com/multimedia/index.html By the way first lie in number one. Vv was not IN kiss 2 and a half years. 1 and a half at most.
Vinnie Interview, "Pro-Talk" (Early 1987):
Vinnie interview with Steve Rosen, released on audio tape. Dates from the period that followed the end of the "Invasion" tour and release of "All Systems Go." It's losely broken up into the following sections, but does cover other questions not listed here...
1) What really happened with you and KISS?
2) The time between leaving KISS and releasing "Invasion"?
3) What you learned from KISS?
4) Was it a conscious reason not to use keyboards?
5) Was Hendrix someone you listened to? Influences?
6) Your style?
7) Carmine & The Rockers?
8) Recording with Carmine?
9) 1979/80?
10) Has your guitar sound changed?
11) Were you capable of playing like you did on "Invasion" with KISS?
12) Were you afraid to go out on your own after KISS?
13) Most guitar players write?
14) Mick Jones, Foreigner, song-writing & Vinnie's first recordings?
15) Promoting Vinnie and magazine lying?
16) Transformation from fusion?
17) The next record?
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Note to thesphinx. In number 1 vinnie said kiss were extremely good to him in a lot of ways.
Then 10 years later he said not paid enough touring ruined his life.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Just a note steve hated vvi and the question on number 3. is this the real vinnie? Was really him asking why he wasn't doing the pre kiss beck thing that everyone loved in the guitar business.
Bye Bye
Spacewig

Post by Spacewig »

I remember when Vinnie was asked if the feedback @ the beginning of "Boyz Are Gonna Rock" was a tribute to Hendrix. Vinnie said it was an accident.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Spacewig wrote:I remember when Vinnie was asked if the feedback @ the beginning of "Boyz Are Gonna Rock" was a tribute to Hendrix. Vinnie said it was an accident.
Yet they dressed as a futuristic Band Of Gypsys.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I heard a kiss interview with vv and he said hendrix, harrison, zeppelin and beck his influences.
Bye Bye
Spacewig

Post by Spacewig »

doublev2 wrote:This is the one you need to scroll to at this site http://www.vinnie-vincent.com/multimedia/index.html By the way first lie in number one. Vv was not IN kiss 2 and a half years. 1 and a half at most.
Yes, that's the same interview that's on the cassette. It's all there, just broken up into pieces.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

People who think vv shredding was nonsense don't listen to classical violin. No one goes to Lincoln center and comes out of a paganini concert saying perlman was shredding nonsense. Complete misunderstanding of vv. What didn't help was the glam look but if vv had been in a tux playing a classical acoustic that fast they would all be giving a standing ovation
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

doublev2 wrote:People who think vv shredding was nonsense don't listen to classical violin. No one goes to Lincoln center and comes out of a paganini concert saying perlman was shredding nonsense. Complete misunderstanding of vv. What didn't help was the glam look but if vv had been in a tux playing a classical acoustic that fast they would all be giving a standing ovation
Fuckin aye! 100% correct!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

In my job I work with london philharmonic orchestra a lot and I assure you guys shred on violin all the time and no one turns their noses up at them.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

You lucky VVFF people have had access to this interview since 2010 when I uploaded it for your Vinnie listening pleasure!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

http://vvforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=203
Commander in chief - VVF Army