My band, 4th Degree - Live!

The VVFF has some talented members, here is where you can check them out
Genebaby
Site Admin

My band, 4th Degree - Live!

Post by Genebaby »

Ok, we did our 3rd show last night and it was pretty cool. It was part of a benefit concert with other bands before and after us. We got a pretty good slot at 8.30pm and rocked for about 50 minutes.

I would have liked to have kept going, I was having lots of fun by the end.

Here are some songs I've posted up:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Warrior

Re: My band, 4th Degree - Live!

Post by Warrior »

I am glad you had a good time Genebaby. It must be so rewarding to be good enough to get get up and play in front of people. I did have guitar lessons when I was 13 but didn't have the have any ability.
Real jealous brother.
birnie

Post by birnie »

Good work Vic!
Evryone''s having a great time too :)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks Warrior, but trust me, I didn't have any ability when I started. Some guys literally can play anything with little effort, or even none at all. I know guys like them here, they are very lucky.

Keep at it, I am not a natural, but I like doing it so I get out there. This show was a bit nervy as the place was full of musos.

I'm glad to be in this band, it's been a while and now I have to get back into playing live with a different guitar and a new POD setup. All the guitar is coming from the POD HD500 into the back of my Marshall. This was our third show and my third radically changed guitar sound. I think I'll stick with this one.

Luckily this Charvel is playing fantastic, that helps too.

Yeah Jason, the crowd were digging it, we got a great response. Lonely Boy was our second song. Very different for me, the bass player suggested it. We also do Gold On The Ceiling at other gigs.
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Genebaby wrote:Thanks Warrior, but trust me, I didn't have any ability when I started. Some guys literally can play anything with little effort, or even none at all. I know guys like them here, they are very lucky.
It is on my Bucket List to give it another go, I guess you are never to old ?.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Never too old, never!
n3p

Post by n3p »

Very cool Vic! What happened to Mattersphere though?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
mrblitz

Post by mrblitz »

sounds good! inspirational..
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Rock on!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

n3p wrote:Very cool Vic! What happened to Mattersphere though?
Ah, Mattersphere. I joined them as a cover band, like what this is now, which is what I was looking for. That was called Mooseknuckle.

The singer and bass player who were the nucleus also had an originals project, Mattersphere. I was cool with doing both but really wanted to have fun getting out there and playing, which the covers band was going to take care of.

Mooseknuckle only ever did one live show back in April last year. It never got off the ground after that for the rest of the year and at the start of this one they ditched Mooseknuckle so I went looking and found Adrian, the drummer here, who was putting a new band together after his old one broke up. It was just what I was looking for. Took a while to find a singer once we got the bass player shortly after I joined.

Now we are doing a few warm up shows to fill out the rest of the year and will go at it next year.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I realised the other day that I uploaded another clip from that show we did last year that I thought was pretty cool but didn't update the thread.

So here we are doing Nothing But A Good Time, the first Poison song I've ever learned, in the new home of The Musician's Corner!

[youtube][/youtube]
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

Very Cool Genebaby !!! Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed watching and listening. If I lived closer, I would definitely come out and support you guys. The Charvel sounds great ! Good job bro !
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Killer! You should call your band VICtory... or Vic Vincent Invasion! ;)
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Hit it Cee Cee :-)

Great Tone Vic! I think that I'm hearing a "G Chord" ringing and those open strings sound terrific! What could be better than that great Charvel through that Marshall.

You rock our brutha from down undah!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks guys, that was an enjoyable night, there were lots of musos there checking out the new band, we showed them what we could do.

While we were struggling to come up with a name I did suggest "Vic and the other guys", and it was used as the most likely to win if someone didn't come up with a better idea! :)

The Charvel was on fire that night!

Post by 1031 »

Great job, I am basically doing the same with my rig using the Line 6 m13 in to the clean side... its just a lot easier switching from song to song and getting the sound closer to the song.

Glad you had a blast !
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
metatron

Post by metatron »

Vic, You Rock Hard, baby!
Awesome playing
:D
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Love the half drunk dude on the right getting into it after the solo in Nuthin but a Good time!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks guys, I just do my best out there.

The punters were loving our set filled with 80's hair metal, it was good getting a great reaction.

Plenty of drunks too at every venue, as you'll all know.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Well guys, after a bit of soul searching (yes, I have one, I think....) I made the decision to leave 4th Degree, and bands in general for the time being.

For the longest time it's been all I wanted to do, and I continued doing it when we had our first child. In fact I was running the band back then, as I had been for many years. Now I was content to be a regular band member, but it was getting too much and something had to give.

Two children now is that little bit harder, and then I added another hobby, off-road RC racing, so I was away a lot and very tired.

The band stuff is being let go as the thrill of playing live has lessened to where the impact it has on my sleep no longer makes it worth it to me. Sad but true. Gigging doesn't suck, but maybe like a junkie who needs a bigger hit over time, the gigs aren't as exciting as they used to be, or are for the other guys in the band.

So to be fair I called it a day, allowing them to find someone as keen to be there as they were. They did some auditioning and have now found a guy to rehearse the set with.

Strangely enough, he found out about the gig through a mutual friend where I work, not from the muso scene the other guys did. He is currently in a duo with none other than my old singer from Mattersphere. He will be giving notice to that gig. He offered it to me but I politely declined, lol.

I will miss it, but I won't miss the lack of sleep, and the other time I will have back to work on my RC cars during the week, and to spend more time with the family as well.

I was on the Committee of a 1:1 car club and I resigned from that too, so I've cleaned up the hobbies, and am just down to my new love, RC racing!
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Gotta admit I don't blame you for "retiring"... especially playing covers. Playing covers in my band Xerockx (and selling artwork) are my only sources of income so I gotta do it to stay away from the life I knew for 20 years... back-breaking, shit-pay mill jobs. But the thrill of getting up and plowing thru the same old cover tunes for the last three and a half years has definitely worn thin. The new original music project I'm working on with my twin has reignited some kinda spark... lord knows playing Livin' on a Prayer for the 1000th time and hearing a request for fukn Wagon Wheel, the Wobble or Freebird for the (refused) millionth time extinguished the spark long ago. But at least I do have the gigs and income and a wife who doesn't mind me being poor... helps having a giant cock I suppose. ;)

Anyway Vic, have fun with your new hobby! My dad is absolutely addicted to RC planes and cars and has been all his life!
birnie

Post by birnie »

Good onya for having a few cracks anyway.
Looks like a blast!
I've never done it but would love to
You've had more stage time than VV so that's always a plus (although an easy plus)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, the RC certainly has become an addiction. I hope to get the kids involved too, ha ha. My daughter has a fleeting interest and my some is on 16 month old, so I'll have to see if he's more keen.

The band stuff has always been for fun and some flash cash, which has come in helpful for setting up the RC stuff, but I'm so busy I needed to unclutter my schedule and concentrate on family and RC.

Hopefully the new guy is coming to the gig this Saturday, we're playing in Bowral, about as close as we get to Sydney. I should be giving him a lift as we both want to head back right after the show. Normally we stay overnight.

He's been learning the set list and I am keen to see them play without me later on.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Jason, it's never too late, and it is a blast.

The nerves I used to get a LONG time ago when I played, I get when I race with the RC club. It's good I'm not nervous anymore on guitar, there is usually one guy watching you play all night, with an "impress me" look on their face. Then there are the drunk punters who think you're awesome, ha ha.
birnie

Post by birnie »

Hahah ! That's soo true !
I've done the "impress me" look before..all night :)
Probably done the drunk punter....umm. definately
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

All musos do it when they are out and see a band. I check what the guitarist is doing, and what he's playing and all their other gear.

Joining a band is as easy as replying to a classified ad, or starting your own, but joining someone else's band is easier.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I will surely return later on when the home stuff is easier to manage and I'm not as new on the RC scene as I am now, there's a lot to learn to be competitive.

My ideal band now would only play a few gigs here and there, so a high end corporate band would be good. Less gigs, more money, free food.

I need to make myself keep practicing, and even try to get better even! Lol... At least I need to keep my chops up and not lose my callouses. Bending can hurt if your fingers are soft!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

8) 8) 8) 8)
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS

Post by 1031 »

RC is very cool, I am feeling the drain of cover band playing myself. I may be going back to just doing my own recording and doing sit ins.

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I am amazed still at the amount of attraction to RC racing, my brother and I are in deep now.

Had a jam last night to help the new guy out and it looks like I have the three August gigs to go, with Phil taking over from early September where they go to Parkes, which is about 3.5hrs away.

I may get a call at some time if they are stuck, I'll take it as it comes.

Post by 1031 »

Genebaby wrote:I am amazed still at the amount of attraction to RC racing, my brother and I are in deep now.

Had a jam last night to help the new guy out and it looks like I have the three August gigs to go, with Phil taking over from early September where they go to Parkes, which is about 3.5hrs away.

I may get a call at some time if they are stuck, I'll take it as it comes.
Holy road gig Batman, 3.5 hrs to a gig ? dam I bitch if its over 45 min to get to the gig..

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, the guy that started the band has contacts out of town, which is fun to play to people in other towns but not as much if I were single etc.

I had only done it a few times over the years before and never that far, but an overnight stay is an overnight stay.

Luckily I travel with the singer who has a company car with free fuel! Comfy too!
ankh

Post by ankh »

thumbs up! congrats!
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Well, the end is drawing near. We had a gig last weekend which was cancelled due to illness, so I'm down to my last two gigs coming up this month and then the new guy takes over.

First is this Saturday night, the 10th and then Friday the 23rd. Unless something else comes up, which it does every now and then, we knocked back two last minute gigs due to someone being unavailable, so there is the possibility it could happen again before the end of the month.

Looking forward to finishing up but a bit sad at the same time.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Next in line Vic!
Next in line
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ok, the last gig has come and gone and last Saturday night the band played their first show with the new guy!

Here's a pic I took at my last show of the Charvel I've been using a lot lately, and my first ever guitar, the Fernandes Les Paul Standard. Still a fantastic example of an LP, it even has binding over the frets.

I brought it as we quickly learned a drop-D song, which I don't even like, Place Your Hands. I used to play the LP all the time back in the Kiss covers days but it hasn't seen a stage in a long time before this.

Funny thing but I noticed that my high E string had snapped at the tuner, but as it was still held down by the nut I just let it go and kept playing. Go the Floyd Rose!!!

Here are some other photos taken by the venue photographer from that night.

Ha ha, during the first set I had my daughters Hello Kitty Kiss necklace thingy hanging from my headstock:

This is the band from a previous time at the same venue, the original 4th Degree!!
birnie

Post by birnie »

Awesome stuff !
Love the photos
Some bright orange/yellow pants with a black tshirt, with that guitar would look interesting, with that flame up effect :)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks Jason.

Ummm, lets just say I don't own any pants that remotely fit that description! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post by 1031 »

Sweet charvel !... I guess this is count down for both of us on who cracks first looking for a cover band again.. LOL

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

1031 wrote:Sweet charvel !... I guess this is count down for both of us on who cracks first looking for a cover band again.. LOL
Thanks, that one was a great Ebay buy, after a few weeks of self denial, then I couldn't stand it any longer! I'm glad it got some decent use, as I envisioned it as being very cool to play live with.

So far I'm not cracking, ha ha. I let go of two of my "responsibilities" and I'm digging spending more time with the family, and fiddling with the RC stuff if I want, and nothing if I feel like it.

It's pretty sweet so far, but yeah, it's been a long time where if I wasn't in a band I was actively looking to be in one.
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Vic, you look a bit like Joel McHale from The Soup:

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ha ha, in that picture maybe, but not usually. 8)

I usually get that I look like Sheldon...... :| :| :| :| :|
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

yep Vic... retirement sounds so good right now... may follow your lead...
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah man, if it becomes a grind and the fun is gone, it's time to move on to something else. Life is too short.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Vic why not start up a vinnie vincent forum?
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Really Dino, you think I should?

Is there even a call for one of those? :)
n3p

Post by n3p »

Vic now you've stopped playing I am assuming the Charvel has to go. I'll gladly take it off your hands ;)
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

n3p wrote:Vic now you've stopped playing I am assuming the Charvel has to go. I'll gladly take it off your hands ;)
You might think that, but the opposite is true, which is why I need your unloved and unused Shannon Soloist, before your house is overrun with Ibanez's!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Ibanez's what? You mean Ibanezes!!! Or is it Ibanii! :P :D
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Who even knows man, you're not supposed to have more than one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!