Post Pictures of Your Charvel Axes Here! :o)

Talk about your equipment
Slayer

Post Pictures of Your Charvel Axes Here! :o)

Post by Slayer »

Here's what my 4 Charvels look like!

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nice setup there Kev.

Two Model A's? Love the trans red one.

When did you get the yellow/orange one? Recent USA build?

The sliver sparkle looks like a 375.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Loving the yellow/orange Charvel.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote:Nice setup there Kev.

Two Model A's? Love the trans red one.

When did you get the yellow/orange one? Recent USA build?

The sliver sparkle looks like a 375.
Vic,
You know your guitars bro! The Yellow and Orange Charvel I've had for a few years but I believe it to be a guitar from the 80's. It is one of my absolute favorites. I know that you know the feeling of when you see something and you just have to have it? That was me with this guitar. I personally really like matching painted head stocks.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It's a killer guitar for sure. What's the serial number on the back?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

This is my Bullseye Charvel. Made in a special batch of 30 in 2003 for Charvel fans on the JCF (Jackson Charvel Forum).

It was designed to around 83/84 specs, when Charvel's came with pointy headstocks, 22 frets, a strat body, rather than Dinky, and the typical one pickup arrangement with a non-recessed Floyd.

I was wanting an old school Charvel, and they weren't being made back then like today, so the chance to get a brand new one was very tempting. The maple board sealed the deal and I was in!

I still remember the day she arrived.

These 30 guitars have very, very rare neck plates. The USA Charvels made in the 90's featured flat neck plates with laser etched Charvel logos and serial numbers. The 80's guitars had 3D carved neck plates.

Jackson went to the trouble to produce 50 neckplates like the 80's ones, but with the current Ontario, CA address, instead of the old San Dimas one. 30 of these plates are on Bullseyes like mine, and the other 20 went to other custom ordered guitars from the time.

teej

Post by teej »

nice .. reminds me of my first guitar .. a Charvel Model 1
We will make monkies of these monkies

One time owner of the first ever Monster VVV, and one time owner of the Origional series Jackson VVV
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

That is basically a Model 2 because of the Floyd Rose. Correct?

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The Model 2 was the Japanese made equivalent of the previous custom ordered US Charvels, when they were discontinued in 1986.

The Model 2 started out with a dodgy Kahler fulcrum trem, then got the Jackson JT6 Floyd in 88.

The Model series are great guitars in their own right, but cheapened the Charvel brand, something ESP were smart with when they took production away from their original location, which for them, was Japan!

US Charvels, as with Jacksons of the time, were ALL custom ordered in the colours and pickup combinations. The Model series were limited to set specifications.

A Model 1 has a vintage trem, no Floyd.
teej

Post by teej »

I know man .. it had no locking tuners either but it was a great place to start and all I could afford .. were going back to maybe 1987 ? Some time arround there maybe 1986 .. but i remember it being a great guitar .. I traded it for a really early ibanez iceman with a very weird bridge with huge chrome cover on the bridge ... anyways ,... I painted it black to look like Paul's and lent it to a guy I never saw again .. thats the story .. but the model 1 was black with a great maple neck ... since then I have owned nothing but Charvel / Jackson .. i love that company .. I even played a £1200 Ibanez last week and it was the biggest piece of cow dung i have played in memory ... nothing compares to what I have or a good well made usa Jackson .. perhaps a good TJ MONSTER is close .. but otherwise .. most guitars suck chocolate salty balls IMO

One time owner of the first ever Monster VVV, and one time owner of the Origional series Jackson VVV
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I've got a maple Model 1 neck at home. I plan to strip the lacquer off it, oil it up and put it on a body with an old brass hardtail Charvel bridge I have.

One day. I have all the parts bar the body. It's on the project guitar list.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I have a black model one with pinstripe flames . The model one is a great guitar- simple -no bullshit.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote:This is my Bullseye Charvel. Made in a special batch of 30 in 2003 for Charvel fans on the JCF (Jackson Charvel Forum).

It was designed to around 83/84 specs, when Charvel's came with pointy headstocks, 22 frets, a strat body, rather than Dinky, and the typical one pickup arrangement with a non-recessed Floyd.

I was wanting an old school Charvel, and they weren't being made back then like today, so the chance to get a brand new one was very tempting. The maple board sealed the deal and I was in!

I still remember the day she arrived.

These 30 guitars have very, very rare neck plates. The USA Charvels made in the 90's featured flat neck plates with laser etched Charvel logos and serial numbers. The 80's guitars had 3D carved neck plates.

Jackson went to the trouble to produce 50 neckplates like the 80's ones, but with the current Ontario, CA address, instead of the old San Dimas one. 30 of these plates are on Bullseyes like mine, and the other 20 went to other custom ordered guitars from the time.

Sweet, I love that baby! Another thing that I like for my guitars is reverse headstocks. I think that gives guitars a cool far out look.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Uncle Kev, You're GROOVY !!! 8) 8) 8)

NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

poserboy71 wrote:Uncle Kev, You're GROOVY !!! 8) 8) 8)
Let's date ourselves.

How did they used to say things in the 70's?

Far out, Peachie Keen, Sock it to Me, Sweetie Bone? :wink:
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Reverse headstocks you say Kev?

This is the Charvel Model 88. Build of 1000, 500 for the US, 500 for the rest of the world. Mine originally came from the US.

African ribbed mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard with sharkfin inlays on a reverse headstock.

Came with a single, slanted pickup which is now a Duncan. I think I remembered to put a non F-spaced one in there.

This guitar was refinished after I majorly scratched it with a screwdriver trying to put the trem springs back in. I was so pissed and I immediately pulled it apart and took it to my guitar guys house.

During the refin he installed Schaller trem posts, including the bushings in the body, a new Shcaller Floyd and nut. This replaced the aging Jackson JT6 with Kahler style nut.

It turned out excellent. I have the original chainsaw case and managed to score a Certificate of Authenticity that came with these when new.

Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote:Reverse headstocks you say Kev?

This is the Charvel Model 88. Build of 1000, 500 for the US, 500 for the rest of the world. Mine originally came from the US.

African ribbed mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard with sharkfin inlays on a reverse headstock.

Came with a single, slanted pickup which is now a Duncan. I think I remembered to put a non F-spaced one in there.

This guitar was refinished after I majorly scratched it with a screwdriver trying to put the trem springs back in. I was so pissed and I immediately pulled it apart and took it to my guitar guys house.

During the refin he installed Schaller trem posts, including the bushings in the body, a new Shcaller Floyd and nut. This replaced the aging Jackson JT6 with Kahler style nut.

It turned out excellent. I have the original chainsaw case and managed to score a Certificate of Authenticity that came with these when new.

I like them both alot but that 's what I'm talking about Vic. That's also a work of art! Great job customizing the white and black. I too have fucked some things up and had to take them to my guitar shop to fix them up for me. I really like the Black Les Paul too! One of these days when money is a little looser I 'm going to put together a John Sykes style Les Paul.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks Kev. The white/black bullseye is stock, that's how it came from Charvel. They are well known in Charvel circles, it was a successful run of guitars.

John Sykes was a bad ass LP player, a guitar like his would be nice!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

This one is a Charvel CX291. Not the most exciting name is it? It was made in the early 90's at a time when the Charvel brand was really at it's lowest.

After the successful run with US guitars up to 1986, then the Japanese made Model series, the 90's and grunge killed off most of the models in the range.

I bought this one for two reasons. Firstly, it has a Strat headstock, something now allowed on a Charvel since the early late 70's, early 80's original US guitars. A few artist guitars did get out with Strat heads, like Adrian Smith's guitars.

It seems that for markets outside the US a nice Strat head was available. In the US it came with a nasty beak-like head stock.

Secondly it is the most Fender Strat like guitar I own, with the strat head, pick guard, 3 singles, vintage trem etc. Two Charvel features are the edges on the body are not as rounded as a Strat, they are more like a Jackson Dinky, and the input jack is still on the side, not on the face of the guitar. Plus it only has volume and one tone knob.

I don't play it much, the stock pickups are fine for clean but a really buzzy with interference when using distortion, so it needs new pickups on day.

Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote:It's a killer guitar for sure. What's the serial number on the back?
I did a little research when I saw your question and it appears that the guitar in fact is from 2005 as it has a raised 3D Charvel Neck Plate Chrome Plated on Black serial 2872. I originally believed it to be from 1981 to 1986 both those plates are gold plated and mine looks the same and is chrome plated.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

With your serial number it is a late 1983 build guitar.

Looking at the nut it it seems it was modded for a Floyd. How long have you had it for? I'm guessing you got it after 2005 or you would know it's older.

Can you tell if it used to have a vintage trem under the floyd?

Where did you get it from? Does it have a Charvel case?
teej

Re: Post Pictures of Your Charvel Axes Here! :o)

Post by teej »

Slayer wrote:Here's what my 4 Charvels look like!

http://img535.imageshack.us/i/charvel.jpg/
Can I have the silver one please? :P

Actually thats the colour I debating refinnishing my VVV into with purple sparkle shadow fins ... ala VV

doublev

Post by doublev »

why not do the new vv colors before vv does. Gold (like the creatures one in 82 and a darker gold behind it). I wanted a black flake front and silver or dark silver rear. Seen as VV most likely repainted his pink one to silver/purple you would be making your vv really authentic. I wonder who did the paint work on Vinnie's.
teej

Post by teej »

honestly I hate the colour gold so it's silver all the way for me .. it's wont happen overnight but I've been toying with the idea for a few yrs now .. silver and purple are my fav colours .. many things in front of this in priority but i can see it happening in the nxt yr or so .. it matters little to me if it affects the 'value' of the guitar because even tho I have played with ideas of selling it .. thats never realistically gonna happen so i figure why not .. maybe pink sparkle shadow fins .. we'll see .. but I'm pretty much sold on the silver

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Teej, you're not talking about your snakeskin Jackson? If you want a different coloured VVV get another from TJ, the paintjob on your Jackson is priceless. Well, it has a price, but it's a high one.
teej

Post by teej »

yes Vic but it is my baby and i will no doubt haev it forever so I figure something more atune to what I want to look at ? the hell with the legacy and all that jazz .. we all know it was repainted by the origional artist so who cares really ...

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Fair enough man. I think that guitar has an awesome paint job, it's frikkin' cool....
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I would like to see a picture of it GLOWING in the dark. How about it Teej???

NEWBEGINNINGS
teej

Post by teej »

ok sure .. I'll try it tonight ..

teej

Post by teej »

doesnt work .. camera cant pick it up in the dark even in night mode .. will have another shot at it tonight .. was too interested in the pub last night :P

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Depending on your camera setup, what would be good is a DSLR on a tripod on a long exposure. I think that should work.
teej

Post by teej »

dude .. your talking technology again .. brain fade .. lol

teej

Post by teej »

ok didnt work again .. it's a shitty camera I think .. will see what I can do once I get a new mobile fone

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

teej wrote:dude .. your talking technology again .. brain fade .. lol
Ha ha, I only know a bit about photos from friends who do and have the gear. If you know someone into photos with a good Digital SLR they will know what to do.

That's how I got the cool shots of my car at night, long exposures, it's cool stuff.
Slayer

Re:

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote:With your serial number it is a late 1983 build guitar.

Looking at the nut it it seems it was modded for a Floyd. How long have you had it for? I'm guessing you got it after 2005 or you would know it's older.

Can you tell if it used to have a vintage trem under the floyd?

Where did you get it from? Does it have a Charvel case?
I missed this question back in the day so I guess it's good to go back through these threads every once in a while. I purchased this in Southern California in 2006 or 2007. There are not 6 holes or visible patches underneath the floyd where a synchronized tremelo used to be installed. It came with a Charvel Tweed Looking Case (brown / black) in very good shape but older looking. I believe it to be a one of a kind guitar but I'll yield to your vastly superior Charvel Knowledge. :) Your correct in that the nut was never routed for a Floyd locking nut which to me would imply that it's older. It's in good shape and I was told when I bought the guitar that it was early eighties and I was confused when I thought the serial number indicated that it was 2005. 1983 as you suggest goes much better with the time line that I was told when I purchased the guitar.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Can I see a pic of the case Kev?

It is good to go over this stuff, the Bullseye guitar is one I am playing a lot lately and in my new band venture. I gave the setup a tweak and she's ready to rock!!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote:Can I see a pic of the case Kev?

It is good to go over this stuff, the Bullseye guitar is one I am playing a lot lately and in my new band venture. I gave the setup a tweak and she's ready to rock!!
That will be a little bit of work but I'll get the job done! :-)

This is a reference to the case being at the bottom of a closet with a bunch of other cases stacked on top of it

Kev
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Man up Kev, it wasn't right at the bottom.... :wink:

Just as I thought, the case is not original to that guitar. The Charvel tweed cases were for the Japanese Model series. You'll note the logo has the pointy headstock, something that happened when production went to Japan, even though US Charvels by that time were also using the pointy headstock, their logos were still the original 3-a-side headstock.

This is fairly typical of a Charvels from that period, they were often modded, some much to their detriment, others so they played better for the owner as many came with Fender style trems so a lot got Floyd mods, which were not always fantastic.

Yours is another strange one as I wonder what trem it may have had before, but we'll probably never know.

Great guitar, hang on to that one.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

"Man up Kev, it wasn't right at the bottom.... " Vic wrote

Vic, when you reach my advanced stage of decay this shit starts to feel like work and I start to feel lazy. :-)

Thank you for your expertise brother.

Whatever abomination this is it plays great, sounds great and for me I like the way it looks.

I hope that you had a great weekend even though your probably on your way to Tuesday in Australia
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Tuesday is just one hour away now Kev. You scored well on that one.
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

Here is a pic of my Fusion Custom / Desert Crackle
Charvel  Fusion Custom - Desert Crackle -1.JPG
Charvel Fusion Custom - Desert Crackle -1.JPG (74.51 KiB) Viewed 14078 times
Charvel  Fusion Custom - Desert Crackle - 2.JPG
Charvel Fusion Custom - Desert Crackle - 2.JPG (87.53 KiB) Viewed 14078 times
Charvel Fusion Custom - Desert Crackle - 3.JPG
Charvel Fusion Custom - Desert Crackle - 3.JPG (82.3 KiB) Viewed 14078 times
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Awesome, I have a desert crackle Charvel. So that one is a bolt-on?
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I have a fire crackle Model 6. It's basically a Soloist.

NEWBEGINNINGS
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

No "GeneBaby", it is a neck thru .....

Do you have pics of yours up "Genebaby".......

Would like to see your Fire Crackle also "Poserboy"
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

Uncle Kev, as I have told you before Bro..... Great Collection !!!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

FREDDYB3 wrote:Uncle Kev, as I have told you before Bro..... Great Collection !!!
Fred, I've admired your Charvel for years! It's very nice piece as well as your others. For those that may not know Fred owns one of the white and gold VVV's that TJ Monster used to play live and made years ago!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Freddy, get some pics up of your Monster VVV!! Also, as it's a neck thru, which I suspected, your guitar is a Charvel 650XL, which was what they called the Model 6 when they changed the logo and went to a Schaller trem.

Kev, what is the bullseye guitar you sometimes have in your avatar?
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

Thanks Kev !! I have always amired your collection as you know. My measly 3 guitars pale in comparision to your great clollection . That's interesting Vic....Thanks for the info..
(It was listed in the blue-book as a Charvel Fusion Custom)
There is a interesting story about that guitar and me owning it (twice actually) .....
The Cliff notes version is : I purchased it ( the first time ) used from a place called Bill's Music House , I was still playing and recording with my last band and only had my Soloist . So I wanted a second guitar , but wanted something that felt close to my Jackson. (without the cost of my Jackson) I got it for a great price and it was in immaculate condition...... (fast forward a couple of years) I was done with the band thing and not recording any longer and needed some cash , so I sold the guitar back to Bills'. (fast forward another year or so) I went back into Bill's to pick-up some other stuff and the guitar was still there hanging in the used section. I took this a sign that the guitar was meant to be mine and purchased it for a second time... LOL Silly I know, I know

It has the Jackson active electronics and tuners and has a built in pre-amp the 3rd rotary knob is the control. The trem is a German made Schaller
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

GeneBaby, my monster hasn't changed any since I owned it (expect for the straplock change)
There are already pics of it here somewhere I believe ??? I will definitely get pics up after it is finished being re-painted, along with some other changes that I hope to get done.