Floyd Rose Guitars

Talk about your equipment
metatron

Floyd Rose Guitars

Post by metatron »

I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Floyd Rose Guitars

Post by Genebaby »

Are they still going? No interest in being locked in to the special strings, especially over here.

Shortly after they came out Phil Collen got a speed loader equipped guitar from Jackson which he used for a bit. Don't think he still does.

Floyd trying to reinvent himself.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Re: Floyd Rose Guitars

Post by shramiac »

These ones are regular strings buy the look of it. And look just like a guitar that could be made by any company.

I know the Billy Hydes store up here dumped the two they had for $500-$600 a year or so ago! They were both the special string version though, one trem, one fixed bridge. No doubt they would be well made and great for a pro who changes strings every show or two but for regular hacks, they could be a pain! Having said that, I get my SIT strings to last ages!!!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Oh yeah, they are normal style, he must have adapted as the market was probably non existent for the speed loader bridge and strings.

That said, I'd have grabbed one at those prices!!!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I thought about it!!! Tried to talk one of my employees into buying one of them but he didn't! He's a tight ass!!! :P :P :P

Too be fair, I only change my strings once a year(!), so even I could have gotten away with a speedloader....until the D string breaks and you can't just trim it and re-use it like you can with a standard Floyd! Used "the once a year string change theory" with my guy too but he didn't bite.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

shramiac wrote: Having said that, I get my SIT strings to last ages!!!
SIT is a short car ride from my house.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I always used SIT in the 80s.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I always used GHS but when I started playing after a long break, I got the SITs as they were the only 8s in the shop. Still use them and stuck with the 8-38!!! I use a 1mm pick too!! Just to confuse everyone.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

You beat up those skinny strings with a 1mm pick? The poor things!!!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Ha. I have 14s these days but never play.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Genebaby wrote:You beat up those skinny strings with a 1mm pick? The poor things!!!
Just like Yngwie does!!! :P :P :P
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

No wonder!! He doesn't have any natural vibrato, the strings can't help but bend out of tune. Lucky he gets it to sound ok!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote:No wonder!! He doesn't have any natural vibrato, the strings can't help but bend out of tune. Lucky he gets it to sound ok!
Are you saying that Yngwie Malmsteen doesn't have any natural vibrato???? WOW !!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I'm just joking, but I don't really listen to him much anyway. I should have put a smiley at the end! :wink:

I just think 8's on a guitar is so flippy-floppy. Like down tuning but not using thicker strings to compensate. I'm used to 10s so I think I would break a set of 8's.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

LOL,
It depends on the guitar for me but I use nothing lighter than 9's and some 10's. I have too much hand and I would break and e string and I find that the complete lack of tension makes it uncomfortable to play but go Andrew go if you like 8's :-)
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i like the Thomastik power brights now http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products ... ings_09_46
also the flat wound jazz swing strings http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products ... ings_10_44 sound great with PAF pick ups, i believe they are more like the kind of strings that would come on a 50s lp
Bye Bye