Lick it up faults

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
doublev2

Lick it up faults

Post by doublev2 »

I just thought I would add something I dont think discussed. I am a big fan of what Micharl James Jackson and engineer did with killers and creatures especially the thick drum sound but I think the production on lick it up album is very week. The drums sound thin and plasticy and I feel at times the arrangement and mixing is poor. While creatures is so strong and feels like a lot of time went into production, arrangements, mix and mastering l, lick it up on the other hand feels a bit rushed , neglected or just a weeker production.

I can not stop thinking how much better the album could be with all the elements they had. Nothing against the songs and musicians.
Maybe I am wrong but listen to I'm a legend tonight or I still love you next to a million to one and see how thin a million to one sounds.
Bye Bye
youngnwasted

Re: Lick it up faults

Post by youngnwasted »

I've always preferred Lick It Up over Creatures. While it doesn't have the bombastic drum sound, I feel the songs are much stronger than Creatures although Creatures has its moments in songs like Danger, War Machine, title track, etc. I think Lick It Up was a much more cohesive effort with a finalized lineup instead of several guitar players coming in and out, playing on different songs. I prefer the heaviness and attitude of stuff like Not For The Innocent and Young and Wasted over Saint and Sinner and Rock and Roll Hell. Basically, if you put the best moments of both albums together, you'd have the best Kiss album.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I am not talking musically I am talking production , mixing, engineering and mastering etc. My point is I think lick it up is a better album or as good as but the recording is very plastic and the Drums at times sound like drum pads (I know they are not).

I am just saying my thoughts on the recording not the musicians or the songs.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I am not talking musically I am talking production , mixing, engineering and mastering etc. My point is I think lick it up is a better album or as good as but the recording is very plastic and the Drums at times sound like drum pads (I know they are not).

I am just saying my thoughts on the recording not the musicians or the songs.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I've always liked the LIU production better than Creatures, it's more balanced and just seems to sound "metal", if that makes sense. The drums sound good to me and are in a good place in the mix, and I really like the tone of the guitars on LIU.

The production on Killers is killer too, I like the songs and the sound.

Too bad they didn't do more work with MJJ, or Vinnie of course, lol.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I agree with Dino. LIU is too "mid range" for my tastes, not enough dynamics. CoTN is to be honest, a very raw sounding album, which could be reason for my appeal towards it.

Even though it technically has two cover songs on it, I would still chose CoTN over LIU for song quality. The only "weak" song on it is Love it Loud whilst LIU has a few on it. LIU itself is not great, Dance All Over Your Face is meh and same for 8th Day....All Hell's spoilt by the rapping but I'll admit, I hate ALL rapping!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

OMG, I LOVE Dance All OVer Your Face....Listen bitch, I've got news!! Fantastic Gene song.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:42 am OMG, I LOVE Dance All OVer Your Face....Listen bitch, I've got news!! Fantastic Gene song.
THIS!
metatron

Post by metatron »

shramiac wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 pm Image
Love my Cheese. It is it's own food group you know?
Man, you can give me $250/kg Cheese or nacho liquid (God know what that shit is) cheese whip & I'd eat that stuff up.
LOVE the Cheese!
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
ankh

Post by ankh »

there was a debate about the LIU drum sound was sampled from Quiet riot's "mental health"......
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

ankh wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:12 am there was a debate about the LIU drum sound was sampled from Quiet riot's "mental health"......
Why would anyone copy anything to do with Frankie B-Anal-I ?

I don't understand how he gets anything resembling credit or appraisal for his lackluster drumming.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

ankh wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:12 am there was a debate about the LIU drum sound was sampled from Quiet riot's "mental health"......
I can totally imagine that. I don't hear Eric Carr at all in the drums and I don't really hear real drum sound.

As for Banali he has a great drum collection and Andre la belle thinks he is great. I don't know myself. Saw him with wasp a few times and seemed good.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Listening to the quiet riot stuff , yes it sounds the same and not too good at that. They could have used the sinclavier back then to sample of changed the sound or Eric's playing again with the synclavier or even fairlight.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

The snare on lick it up sounds like hitting a giant plastic blow up sex doll with a pool stick. The Tom's sound like hitting the underwear of the sex doll with a pool stick
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I really do like the drums on LIU, no issue with them at all. The album sounds balanced, it's the very definition of modern (1983) metal. Liquid metal I think of it as.
ankh

Post by ankh »

sorry if i wasn't clear in my statment, rumours were spread from the QR camp that LIU drum sound was lifted off their records.It had to do with the drum sound itself and not the performance.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

ankh wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:29 am sorry if i wasn't clear in my statment, rumours were spread from the QR camp that LIU drum sound was lifted off their records.It had to do with the drum sound itself and not the performance.
You were clear.
I just don't believe anything associated with QR would need to be copied.
Hacks 101
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Did we have the technology to lift a drum sound and use it on another records performance in 1983?

I can't see it happening. Surely, they just miked up Eric's kit and then twiddled the knobs.