Floyd Rose stabilizer

Talk about your equipment
tukoztukoz

Floyd Rose stabilizer

Post by tukoztukoz »

I found a nice Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 1988, bought in San Francisco at the time. The guitar needs some cleaning (electronics, screws). The body and the neck are in a very good condition.
The Floyd made some strange spring noises as I tried it. When I opened the back of the guitar, I discovered that stabilizer I never heard of.
I found this oage on the internet, not very enthusiastic...http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/FloydRose.html
What do you think about that, is it useful ?
Here' s a picture ofmy Kramer. I removed the three trem springs.
stabilizer kramer.JPG
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It does not sound promising does it?

I would take it out.
shramiac

Re: Floyd Rose stabilizer

Post by shramiac »

Ugh!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I have a few trem-setters in some of my guitars. I don't keep up on them so I couldn't give you a vote positively or negatively.

I do know that Steve Vai utilizes them.
1:30 mark:
[youtube][/youtube]
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

First time I saw Vai in "97, we went across the road to get a drink at McDonalds after the gig. Thomas & Dave Weiner walked in and were quite pleasant. Which was amazing as they had to endure a rancid fart that my mate had let go while waiting line!!! :P :shock: :oops: :(

Back on topic...

Never seen, let alone used any sort of trem stopper/stabilizer.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

I read that Kramer didn't insist much with those stabilizers.
As I said, it was noisy and ask more power to do trem bendings. I've removed it, but I'll try it again while fluttering or simulate a broken string (some people say that the guitar will stay in tune...).
I find it strange that people like Steve Vai use a tremsetter. Aren't Floyd always supposed to stay in tune ?
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

You would use something like a tremsetter to allow for going to Drop D or similar, not for tuning stability in general.

I tried a Tremel-No a few years ago to facilitate the use of a D-Tuna on two of my Charvels. The Tremel-NO was fine for it's purpose, you could lock it down for no movement like a fixed bridge, or only allow the bridge to move up, not down, like EVH does, or go back to full floating.

The D-Tune itself was kind of crappy as it has a fine tuner you need to adjust with a tiny hex tool and I realised that my 46-10 strings, already tuned to E flat on this guitar did not take too kindly to going down to D flat. I put thicker bottom strings on one of them but just gave up on it all and went back to standard.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Ok, I think I understand, thanks.

I still wonder why does Vai use a tremsetter. Is the D-tuna the only reason?

I never tried any D-tuna. Once I thought about getting three of them, for the three strings I tune down - I've been tuning all my guitars in open G for years (DGDGBD). But I forgot about it, since I don't play with the standard tuning anymore. So nobody plays my G-tuned guitars except me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I just don't bother much with songs tuned in Drop D, or I just play the 4th and 5th strings together if the songs doesn't need any open D chugging.

With the Floyd floating I find I don't have any issue doing double string bends. I think I must compensate or something.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

I took it out. Here are some pics of the kramer pacer ( i cleaned it ,soldered one wire that was out, and oiled the seized switch).
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
say two sky two say fare
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

That's a sweet ride !
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
metatron

Post by metatron »

Think you need a Schaller 'Sure Claw'.
Attachments
The Urban Myth :)
The Urban Myth :)
Stabbliser.PNG (369.28 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
Schaller 'Sure Claw'.
Schaller 'Sure Claw'.
Schaller - Sure Claw 73___377.jpg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

metatron wrote:Think you need a Schaller 'Sure Claw'.
Interesting. I checked youbtube videos about that Sure Claw, enjoying discovering guitar gadgets I don't know about...

The picture shows a pink/blue/black guitar. Is it the first AZG VV ? Same as the one we can see on the left and right on this forum? Plus there is the photoshop pics that Poserboy showed recently... Just wondering where is the first AZG, and if there is another one around?
say two sky two say fare
metatron

Post by metatron »

tukoztukoz wrote: Interesting. I checked youbtube videos about that Sure Claw, enjoying discovering guitar gadgets I don't know about...

5f652407a2f2f1b0eb041462afd304be365e6e94c8eef53105357379df2df49b.jpg
5f652407a2f2f1b0eb041462afd304be365e6e94c8eef53105357379df2df49b.jpg (36.18 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
Oh, tukoztukoz, stay tuned. VVFF elders have some Guitar Hardware that will literally make your head spin.
tukoztukoz wrote:The picture shows a pink/blue/black guitar. Is it the first AZG VV ? Same as the one we can see on the left and right on this forum? Plus there is the photoshop pics that Poserboy showed recently... Just wondering where is the first AZG, and if there is another one around?

Tukoztukoz. Spot on. That is the one of a kind Pear guitar. Not aware of any others like that one around. There were the other 4 (AZG) that VV stolen from Tom by VV. So that is 5 all up (4 AZG plus one Pear) that as far as anyone is aware. VV has/had them all in his possession. None of which he paid for. & Yes, in the spirit of not letting the whole truth get in the way of a good story there was a little magic touch (or more LOL) of Photoshopping applied to that image residing left and right of this forum as a backdrop. I like that your inquisitive. You seek the Holy Gail of Guitars.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
ankh

Post by ankh »

tukoztukoz wrote: I find it strange that people like Steve Vai use a tremsetter. Aren't Floyd always supposed to stay in tune ?
the idea behind a tremsetter is to stabilize tuning when you break a string or when you are making double bends(ala country style).

The way a Floyd-or any kind of floating -trem works, when you break a string there's an unbalance in the trem equilibrium and strings go out of tune.

Also, when you bend a sigle string, the nearer open string goes out of tune,same with double bends(let's say 15fret, second string, and 14 fret ,third string)the other strings in a Floyd equipped-or any kind of floating trem-guitar will go noticeable out of tune.

Having said that, the tremsetter itself it is a bit of a bitch to set it up properly,at least the first models were so.I did use one for a while,many years ago, and it helped,but of course made the whole trem a bit stiffer.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

metatron wrote:

Oh, tukoztukoz, stay tuned. VVFF elders have some Guitar Hardware that will literally make your head spin.

I'll be very happy with it... It's funny that I've been playing the guitar for almost 30 years ( :shock: time goes so fast!) never really caring about guitar hardware, and now it's been three years since I got interested into hardware and regular guitar practice (jazz, jazz chords and gipsy music). Three years that I've discovered VVFFforum too... I guess it goes all together. I even dream sometimes of working as a luthier, but... Well, let's stay an amateur...

Tukoztukoz. Spot on. That is the one of a kind Pear guitar. Not aware of any others like that one around. There were the other 4 (AZG) that VV stolen from Tom by VV. So that is 5 all up (4 AZG plus one Pear) that as far as anyone is aware. VV has/had them all in his possession. None of which he paid for. & Yes, in the spirit of not letting the whole truth get in the way of a good story there was a little magic touch (or more LOL) of Photoshopping applied to that image residing left and right of this forum as a backdrop. I like that your inquisitive. You seek the Holy Gail of Guitars.

Thanks for that information. There was a some kind of a mystery about the Pear guitar. I think I saw some pics of the Pear on the internet, making me believe it was in someone else's hands than Vinnie. I remember Tom Palecki told about Vinnie getting his guitar in a restaurant in the nineties, but is there any pic of Vinnie with that guitar?
say two sky two say fare
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

ankh wrote:
tukoztukoz wrote: I find it strange that people like Steve Vai use a tremsetter. Aren't Floyd always supposed to stay in tune ?

the idea behind a tremsetter is to stabilize tuning when you break a string or when you are making double bends(ala country style).

The way a Floyd-or any kind of floating -trem works, when you break a string there's an unbalance in the trem equilibrium and strings go out of tune.

Also, when you bend a sigle string, the nearer open string goes out of tune,same with double bends(let's say 15fret, second string, and 14 fret ,third string)the other strings in a Floyd equipped-or any kind of floating trem-guitar will go noticeable out of tune.

Having said that, the tremsetter itself it is a bit of a bitch to set it up properly,at least the first models were so.I did use one for a while,many years ago, and it helped,but of course made the whole trem a bit stiffer.

Thanks, I'll try one as soon as possible. It's true that double bends don't sound ok with a trem-equipped guitar
I wonder if flutter is possible with a tremsetter?
say two sky two say fare
ankh

Post by ankh »

i think the schaller claw mentioned by metatron is easier to mount.Tremsetter needs to hacve a hole scerewed in the back of the guitar, between the two spring claw and not necessarilyan horizontal hole, since it depends at which angle the whole trem stays.Trem setter pointy end needs to travel freely in and out(i just can imagine what PB or Metatron will make of my words :P)of the cavity to counterbalance trem action.

https://www.hipshotproducts.com/faqs/ca ... r-faq.html

sustain will be improved a bit merely since you add mass,and the whole trem will feel stiffer(again.... :roll: ) but you cna do everyhting you did before,including flutters, it just needs a bit more energy.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

But a Sure Claw is for setting the springs' tension easily, which is different from a tremsetter (hipshot). Am I correct?
Anyway I definitely have to try one of those tremsetters!
say two sky two say fare
metatron

Post by metatron »

ankh wrote: have a hole scerewed in / pointy end needs to travel freely in and out (i just can imagine what PB or Metatron will make of my words :P ) of the cavity
feel stiffer /fluffers needs a bit more energy.

Yep, you know me well :)

tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

metatron wrote:
ankh wrote: have a hole scerewed in / pointy end needs to travel freely in and out (i just can imagine what PB or Metatron will make of my words :P ) of the cavity

Sexshops sell pink vibrating bottlenecks that you can use as an ebow!!! :lol:
say two sky two say fare
ankh

Post by ankh »

tukoztukoz wrote:But a Sure Claw is for setting the springs' tension easily, which is different from a tremsetter (hipshot). Am I correct?
Anyway I definitely have to try one of those tremsetters!

yes, you're right, maybe something lik the tremol-no should be more appropriate..
or:

[youtube]http://www.tremol-no.com/faq.asp[/youtube]

or:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=602658

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments ... omparison/

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

ankh

Post by ankh »

metatron wrote:

tsk,tsk,that's sick aand perverted.......... please repent and listen to the wise words of preachers.....

[youtube][/youtube]

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

metatron

Post by metatron »

Love Sammi Curr
ankh

Post by ankh »

back on topic, you can try this tone too:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/goeldo_backbox.htm

if you read the comments, it seems to be easier to install than the tremsetter, the instructions are in german(or you can look for "Kluson backbox) but there are viedeos on youtube where it is explained how to set it up properly

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

15 €, that's not too expensive. I'll get one next time I order something at Thomann. They have a nice Rickenbacker 620 MG for example...
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It says it's for vintage trems?