My former collection (WARNING: superstrat overload)

Talk about your equipment
DarrenD

My former collection (WARNING: superstrat overload)

Post by DarrenD »

Parts mutt made from wenge/ebony neck and mahogany body. Neck made by Soulmate Guitars. It was sitting in a room for 5 years until I put it to use. The body was made by Riggs customs guitars. It is a 25.0 scale length with a Dimarzio Liquifire. I planned to put in a sustainiac but never got to it.

'81 Kramer XL8 8 String aluminum neck bass - my main player, but heavy. They don't make em like this anymore.

Rand guitar #1 prototype. This was the very first Rand guitar ever made - only 80 were made and this was the only bolt-on version. Plays like an early Charvel - an aged gig warrior nonetheless.

My main amp is a '68 Marshall Plexi clone done by Metroamp:

Hamer Californian Elite ('88): This is currently my main player.

Hamer Californian Standard ('89): This was a super guitar.

Hamer Californian Elite with EMGs. I don't know why I flipped this one. I wasn't a fan of the EMGs for this build, but Hamer USAs always are great guitars.

2005 Fernandes Revolver Elite MIJ - This was a great player and surprised me.

GREM USA Free Radical. This one was unique. I sent it to a local luthier for a finish, setup, and a sustain block addition, and it return oddly with many problems. Bill Leverty plays these still. The neck was super wide and thin - the opposite I prefer, so I parted ways.

Hamer Chaparral 12 string Bass. This was sounded killer, but it was tough to play and sing this 34" scale at the same time, so I sold it and had a custom one made, which is in the process of being built.

Kramer 650G Aluminum neck.

Tradition Michael Angelo Batio signature - 24 frets. These are nice import guitars that you don't see too often.

Tradition MAB signature with floyd. Only 75 of these were made. Nice player but the neck was the most thin I have ever played. Ever.

Washburn EC26. I loved this one playing wise, but I couldn't stand the finish. I'm not a fan of red, and I didn't want to refinish the 100% originality.

Washburn EC29. This was my first "good" guitar. The 600T floyd wasn't the best, but the rest was pretty sweet. I'll pick up another someday.

Washburn EC36. Wish I wouldn't have sold this one. It was modified for whole notes and a Duncan Axis Distortion. Why do I always sell good guitars?

Washburn HM80. This was made at the Mastomoku factory in '84 during a transitional period. It had an ebony fretboard, 24.75 scale, and a Kahler. This was a good player, but I probably played it 4 times in 6 years. I sold it to someone in Switzerland.

Washburn MG113. Made in the USA custom shop in '96. One-off ebony fretboard with Schaller and Duncans. Jennifer Batten used to play these when she was with Michael Jackson. Again, killer guitar. Don't know why I sold it, but I tend to eventually sell everything I have at a certain point. I have gotten better recently. :lol:

Washburn SS80. Highly underrated guitar. It needed a setup.....so you know, instead of paying for a setup I just part with it in a trade. For it, I'm getting a prototype ray-gun effect SS80 clone with a killer graphic.

Yamaha Pacifica 1221MS. Bill Leverty used to play these. The neck profile is very similar to the GREM, which means too skinny and wide for my tastes. Either way, this guitar had quality - Dimarzios, nice floyd, adjustable nut, carbon-reinforced neck. Great player.

Washburn MG900/Viper. Well, I almost had this one. A USPS employee stole it during the process and I never got it. The guy probably pawned it for $200 and it now resides somewhere unknown.

Doron custom. It was made by a luthier Doron Markowitz based in Florida. I bought the body core dirt cheap and gigged with it a few times cause it was super light. I gave it to one of my buds for free and he eventually gave it back to me butchered with odd drill marks and a scalloped fretboard. I knew I couldn't sell it for a decent price, so I took out the pups and shipped it back to Doron for free. He was quite excited to see it again. It was his first prototype build many ages ago.

Peavey V-Type Limited Edition. This was a copy of the Peavey Vandenberg Signature. This import had one of the best neck ever and was a great piece! I replaced the floyd with a Gotoh and it played like wonders. Sold it and lost my ass.

Well, that's about it. I'm expecting a build from John soon as well as a 12 string bass from another luthier. I also have a Steve Stevens type guitar being built at the moment. I made and lost money flippin, but I learned a lot about what I really want in a guitar. Now days I'm more into audio engineering and recording.

And since we are on guitar stuff, here's an EARLY version of my pedal board. It's a TT with Pedal Power 2, original MXR Flanger, Rockbox Boiling Point, and MXR Carbon Copy Delay. I plan on adding more in da future:
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: My former collection (WARNING: superstrat overload)

Post by Genebaby »

Wow, what a great lot of guitars you've had. I have the exact opposite problem to you, I just about never sell my guitars. I only sold one Jackson, a very nice Archtop Pro I got because I didn't like the case it came with. It was meant to have the original case and it wasn't so I didn't bond with it and got rid of it.

Also I sold a Koa SDII Charvel. I have a Koa SDI still, the II is the Wilkinson trem version and I am a Floyd guy so I got rid of it, made a bit of money but kept the case and neck plate. Quality guitars through and through but they had to go.

I have not sold anything since, and tried to think of something to let go in order to get a Charvel I saw but decided to leave things as they were, I have enough. There, I said it.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Darren, thank you so much for the post! That made me harder than Chinese Algebra! I dig looking at other peoples guitar collections and there are some folks on this board that have some amazing guitars! What a great collection you have posted here!

On this attachment do you recognize the neck on the Firebird 2nd from the left?

poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Kev, Is that Firebird a bolt-on ?
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

poserboy71 wrote:Kev, Is that Firebird a bolt-on ?
Yassuhh Mistah Schobel :wink:
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

My brain's exploding!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
DarrenD

Post by DarrenD »

27 fret firebird? nice! Looks stock too.

I really regret selling some of them, but I learned exactly what I want in my next guitars. Now days I'm more obsessed with pedals and amps. :D
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

What in the world is that Jem/Winger/Steinberger guitar Uncle Kev?????
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
metatron

Post by metatron »

Peavey V-Type Limited Edition...Got two. Love them, Black & Magenta. One of the best guitars I have. Got two of the original Peavey Vandenberg also. Awesome guitars. If I knew you where selling a white one I would have purchased that from you.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

shramiac wrote:What in the world is that Jem/Winger/Steinberger guitar Uncle Kev?????

Chinese Piece of Junk! LOL! When I retire in 20 years maybe I will shave the neck down from the C shaped Baseball Bat that it is, shim the neck, adjust the truss rod, level the frets just to start with to have any hope of making it an instrument some day LOL! I have very little in it but it will cost hundreds to make it playable.

A learning experience about a guitar that looked ok in a picture and then when you get it in your hands it's a whole different scenario.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Uncle Kev, It at least is a great conversation piece that can hang on your wall.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS