Jackson JS32 RR opinions?

Talk about your equipment
vinstech

Jackson JS32 RR opinions?

Post by vinstech »

As the topic title suggests.

I know there are some jackson/charvel aficionados here on the board. I've heard some good things about the JS32 series compared to the older cheapo jacksons. Has anybody here tried one? Would it be a good guitar to upgrade with new hardware/electronics?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Jackson JS32 RR opinions?

Post by Genebaby »

Being a longtime Jackson/Charvel guy I would advise to stay away from the JS32 series. I took home to try a RR3 like 20 years ago now and it may have been Japanese made back then, but as a bolt on and with the parts as well it was just terrible, so I took it back and said no thanks.

The Rhoads shape is one of those that needs to be neck through, and you will have a lot better time with with one of those.

I would go looking back for an older neck through model, as the new line of Jackson's are getting pretty pricey all round for what they are, with the US made stuff topping the list, compared to years ago.

In the new stuff it's the X series where better hardware and electronics would go a long way, along with maybe having a luthier do some fretwork as well. They are all 24 fret if that makes a difference. If you are ok with more traditional the RR5 wasn't bad that they used to make in Japan.

I got an Adrain Smith SDX and they traditionally come with junk pickups and the lowest quality Original Floyd copy. Those things are easy to fix, it already had a Goto trem, so I got a German Floyd nut and a new pickguard to suit two Suhr humbuckers, but it had weird issues in being setup to play well so it has been getting a full work order of new stainless steel frets and a full setup to suit. After all that, it will still be cheap for what it is, I got it for a great price a few years ago, and should be a monster player. I was pretty into having a Jackson strathead, instead of all the Charvels, so I'm looking forward to getting it back.

Otherwise the original US made Pro Mod series was cool, even had good Duncan pickups but I put in Original Floyds with nuts on those, and because I like it I put a Surh in the bridge position of each. You can still do that today with the Mexican made ones, or the Japanese if you can find them.

Sadly, like a lot of things, guitars are going up and the bargains of yesteryear are harder to find.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Re: Jackson JS32 RR opinions?

Post by shramiac »

An LTD from ESP would be a better made guitar. Or maybe a Solar Guitar from Ola Englund? Though Solars are more of a King Vee, than a Rhoads shape. Get some good specs on them though. S/Steel frets on some models, Evertune bridges/Floyd 1000s, etc...

https://www.solar-guitars.com/categorie-produit/type-v/
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(