Oops I did it again......again!!!!!!

Talk about your equipment
Genebaby
Site Admin

Oops I did it again......again!!!!!!

Post by Genebaby »

So just like the other Hangover movies, where it "happened again", another guitar purchase "happened again".

But this is no ordinary guitar my friends. Browsing the marketplace on my phone I had to look twice to double check what I thought I was seeing.

What I thought I saw was a Jackson 1991 Limited Archtop Soloist. A one of 200 very rare cousin to my Charvel 750XL. This was the holy grail of these guitars and one I never thought I would even see, let alone own.

Featuring Brazilian rosewood for the fretboard, with sharkfin inlays with a split of abalone and mother of pearl and a bound neck and body and gold hardware this was the most espensive Jackson of it's day.

I began to talk with the seller and after a few days, which I was sure someone else was trying to snipe me!, we struck a deal and the guitar was on it's way. He was the first owner so he says and I can't beieve he let this one go.

So here we have the two together, the 750XL in Cherry Sunburst I bought in '93, and the 91 LTD in Tobacco Burst I got last month.

I pulled the LTD apart for all the usual work and found it a new home in a Soloist case I bought a long time ago for a guitar that doesn't need it.

I was going to replace the trem but I decided to keep it original so I put it all back together.

So I can at least try it out with the band I'm settig it up in E flat, the 750 is in E and both guitars feature a Gibson scale length. The Reflex pickups seem pretty cool and they are at least partly active as it needed a new battery to make noise. Inside the cavity there is little box with resin as part of the system. There's a lot of wires and I'm leaving them all alone.

Reflex pickups were used on the top guitars from Japan back then. I did once have a regular Jackson Archtop Soloist, one of the few guitars I've sold, which I would have kept today, and it had Reflex pickups too.

Either way, I'll keep this one all original and played or not, she's staying in my collection.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
tukoztukoz

Re: Oops I did it again......again!!!!!!

Post by tukoztukoz »

Nice guitar, congrats!
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks. I can't build them, so I buy them!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

:lol:
n3p

Post by n3p »

Yes!!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

That's a great looking guitar!!!
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

Here´s two of my latest purchases; Ibanez PR 1660 (1985) and Ibanez Destroyer II (1982) :D
Attachments
IMG-20201229-WA0004.jpg
IMG_20200904_112601__01.jpg
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nice scores you got yourself there too! How many guitars do you have now?
metatron

Post by metatron »

Nice score. Always wanted the Ibanez PR 1660 (1985). Vic will probably remember this, 1986, Brashs megastore at 244 Pitt Street, Sydney.
Upstairs, Marshall worked there. They had a baby pink Ibanez PR 1660. Would eye it off every time I was there. Apparently Marshall still plays around doing covers @ RSL's. And he still shreds. Yes, I'm missing the young daze.
Video is for Kevin. First every recorded Blacks on Blonde video. Love my Jean Beauvoir, 'the Gamblin Man!'
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nice one Dannii, if only it was a pink Jackson Jean was playing. I'm sure he, like the rest of us, is REALLY missing the young days these days! And it ain't getting any better!!!!

I stupidly ignored a pink, original of course, HM Strat in a pawn shop, for AGES and AGES. Then I'm like, stuff it, I'll go and make an offer, get it refinned or something, who cares. Then it was gone.....you snooze like sleeping beauty, you lose.....
metatron

Post by metatron »

Funny you bring the Fender HM Strat up. Saw a new one, White at Logan's Burwood the other day, $2500

But hey, here is 2nd chance for you!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fender-Mad ... SwjbpfXMlc
Attachments
Fender HM Strat s-l1600.jpg
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The new ones are nowhere near as good sadly, they did not make them to the same standard. Old ones only, but hey, I don't need any more guitars!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Free guitars are a different story, show me what you got!!!
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

Genebaby wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:09 am Nice scores you got yourself there too! How many guitars do you have now?
I think I have 8 now :) Those two Ibanez + 2 Firebirds, a strat, a Les Paul, 2 Flying Vs
I've noticed that some guitars are so much better for recording and some only for live work. It depends of course.
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Missing the young days, yes. I’ll get my Washburn RR I talked about in another thread soon.

Meanwhile I’ve ordered a yellow HM strat, funny you talked about HM strats... I have to show some pics when it’s here.
say two sky two say fare
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I've got the same Destroyer II as well. Got it at a pawn store for $200($US150) with the case, back in the early 90's. It's as beat up as all hell but I got it in honour of Adrian Smith who used one as his main guitar on the Number of the Beast and Peace of Mind tours. The bridge P/U squealed like hell so I fitted a DiMarzio PAF Pro like my Jems have.....and I scalloped the fingerboard!
Was disappointed to find out that the one Smith used was a set neck, not a bolt-on like mine! :(
Oh well, close enough!

And you're right about the HM Strat. Way overpriced for what you get. A Floyd Rose Special!!! Seriously???? At least put a Korean FRT1000 on there, not a shitty Chinese made "special"!!!!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Oooh, you are both piling on the guitars!

I have also reconciled that not all my guitars I will want to play live, some I am more comfortable playing at home, and that is fine. I have read many articles where on an album one guitar was used for all/most of the rhythm work and another was the guitar for leads.

I find I really need to be really comfortable with a guitar in style and shape to play with it in my band. Right now I'm using my two USA San Dimas Pro Mod Charvels. They are my go-to gigging guitars, and I am getting very used to them and having 22 frets, whereas before my gigging guitar was 24 frets and I wanted 24 fret guitars.

Andrew, you scalloping fiend! Ruining guitars, who do you think you are? EVH? :D :D :D

Yes, for the price it's disappointing what Fender are doing, but the new Charvel 2021 line just came out and there are Japanese guitars again, but a lot of guys are getting sticker shop, the prices have all gone up.
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

shramiac wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:24 am I've got the same Destroyer II as well. Got it at a pawn store for $200($US150) with the case, back in the early 90's. It's as beat up as all hell but I got it in honour of Adrian Smith who used one as his main guitar on the Number of the Beast and Peace of Mind tours. The bridge P/U squealed like hell so I fitted a DiMarzio PAF Pro like my Jems have.....and I scalloped the fingerboard!
Was disappointed to find out that the one Smith used was a set neck, not a bolt-on like mine! :(
Oh well, close enough!

Interesting that you should say so, 'cos I got my Destroyers (this ia my 3rd), because Adrian Smith!!! Number Of The Beast has always been my favourite Maiden-era :lol:
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Cool!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Update on this sweet guitar. I tried to work with the original trem but the previous owner had done damage to the weak link on those original Schallers, the intonation screws! So I got a new one and set it up back and now she is singing like a diva!

Looks pretty much the same as before!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Very Cool Vic
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks Kev! I was playing this one yesterday. I think I'll take her to band rehearsal this week.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:28 am Thanks Kev! I was playing this one yesterday. I think I'll take her to band rehearsal this week.
Outstanding, Andrew and I were both complaining the other day that we have both lost all of our callouses LOL

K
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, that's a problem man, you gotta keep feeding your fingers the steel so they remain tough!

There's nothing like calloused fingers that can imperviously bend those strings to their will.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Genebaby wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:31 am Update on this sweet guitar. I tried to work with the original trem but the previous owner had done damage to the weak link on those original Schallers, the intonation screws! So I got a new one and set it up back and now she is singing like a diva!
Not original now!!!!

I'll give you $50 and half a pizza crust for it! :P
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It could be argued that it's better than original now.

You'll need to revise your offer. More zeros!!!!!