EMG

Talk about your equipment
doublev2

EMG

Post by doublev2 »

I know EMG'S get very mixed reviews. Anyone like those 80s emg's vv used and I guess metalica etc
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Re: EMG

Post by poserboy71 »

I believe:

You can put an EMG into anything and it will sound
basically the same. You get the sound of the pickup.

Certain pickups enhance the sound of the woods that make up the instrument. Like a PAF-type ...
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Ok so you put them in crap and they sound ok
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:07 am Ok so you put them in crap and they sound ok
Pretty much.

I always joke that you could put them in a pine 2x4 and it will sound good.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

They are not quite like that. They sound different in my Les Paul, to my 750XL, to my Rhoads.

I changed pickups in that Rhoads a bit and now it has Duncan's.

LP sounds great with the EMG's. Great sound to play Estranged on the neck.

They are good pickups. KISS used them in the 80s too.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Vic, Compared to other pickups , EMGs are kind of a one trick pony evrn though they can be much more.
You don't really put in EMGs to get different tones...ie.- in/out phase, coil splitting,etc...

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I have some Spector pick ups (guitar not bass) and I am told they are EMG . I like the sound but I think they are not that classic tone but I guess you can tone your sound with effects as much as I don't like doing that
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

So EMGs really lost popularity since the 80s?
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:04 pm So EMGs really lost popularity since the 80s?
Not at all. They are still popular.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

poserboy71 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:00 pm Vic, Compared to other pickups , EMGs are kind of a one trick pony evrn though they can be much more.
You don't really put in EMGs to get different tones...ie.- in/out phase, coil splitting,etc...
You can do coil splitting with the EMG 89, though I'm not big on that kind of thing, like the Jimmy Page LP has in spades.

So much so that when I went to replace the volume knob in my main player after many years I had forgotten that it was setup with a coil tap option, so we replaced it with a regular pot.

EMG singles are great, you won't get any hum.

Another benefit of EMG's is your guitar can't electrocute you if you step in a puddle or get wet or something on stage. People have died due to this, which sucks.

The only tones I use are bridge pickup, or neck pickup, with maybe both on for a different clean sound. And my preference is humbuckers.

A few of my guitars have singles, which are either EMG's, or the original Jacksons that also operate as stacked humbuckers.

EMG's are hugely populer still, and with the solderless setup they went with years ago it's easy to change them out to a different one, for a different sound, or add their signal boosters.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I understand that cooils can be split,etc...
What I am saying is that you usually get EMG pickups because they simple.
Little option compared to other companies.

You know that your Strat or LP will sound good with a basic EMG set.

Other companies lend themselves to more tedious experimentation. I'll let Lynch and Eric Johnson do that type of shit.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I don't have the patience to swap out pickups often. Most of the popular ones work fine, if you have an idea what you're in for.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Batteries are for calculators and dildoes, not pickups! :D

That said, I'd use a set of Marty Friedman EMGs.... but they're passives.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
ankh

Post by ankh »

Zakk Wylde switched to emg sinc ehe said tha t for fast 32th notes the standard pu's weren't clear enough.

Never used the emg's myself, but in the bridge of my Casio Mg 550,in the bridge position,i use the Shadow EQ5 pickup,with onboard EQ:
with a few turns of the screws, you can get the following sounds:

it does work, quite effectively, of course when you try to "mime" the sound of a neck pu,the sound is not the same because of the stiffer sound due to the string inferior travel span.

When activated the built in preamp does boost the volume of the complete pickups set( in my case two Duncan SSL 5/neck/center)
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
DaddyNoBucks

Post by DaddyNoBucks »

Genebaby wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:42 pm
poserboy71 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:00 pm Vic, Compared to other pickups , EMGs are kind of a one trick pony evrn though they can be much more.
You can do coil splitting with the EMG 89, though I'm not big on that kind of thing, like the Jimmy Page LP has in spades.

So much so that when I went to replace the volume knob in my main player after many years I had forgotten that it was setup with a coil tap option, so we replaced it with a regular pot.
250 or a 500k
EMG singles are great, you won't get any hum.

Another benefit of EMG's is your guitar can't electrocute you if you step in a puddle or get wet or something on stage. People have died due to this, which sucks.

The only tones I use are bridge pickup, or neck pickup, with maybe both on for a different clean sound. And my preference is humbuckers.

A few of my guitars have singles, which are either EMG's, or the original Jacksons that also operate as stacked humbuckers.

EMG's are hugely populer still, and with the solderless setup they went with years ago it's easy to change them out to a different one, for a different sound, or add their signal boosters.

duuuuuuudde,
i got soooo jammed up trying to put an emg ssh set in a custom guitar body (sa, sa, 89). i bought all the ez connect/ plug in stuff (1 push/ pull volume pot, a tone pot and a 5 way blade switch). the control cavity didn't have enough room to mount the 5 way switch in let alone enough room to plug the cables into so i went the solder route (which meant using the old tone and volume pots that came with 89). after i got everything wired up, there was static in the volume pot that didn't go away with 3 doses of contact cleaner. i can't figure out the value of volume pot (i don't think it would be a 250 or 500k) so i couldn't swap it out. i just gave up and wired up a set of dimarzios (true velvet single coils and a 36th anniversary paf in the bridge).

in all fairness, it probably would have been easy peasy guitar with more "standard" control cavity.