Crazy or Genius?

Talk about your equipment
Kuron

Crazy or Genius?

Post by Kuron »

NAMM 2019: Ernie Ball unveils VPJR touch-screen tuner and volume pedal.

This is certainly one of the most unique items in past years. It is space-saving, but I would imagine the screen is only readable at certain angles. Of course, with my eyesight, I probably couldn't read it at any angle. :|
Vinnie who?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Crazy or Genius?

Post by Genebaby »

Cool idea. It sounds like the display is good in the dark and if playing outdoors.

I don't use extra pedals, my account and amp and POD are all I need, and it keeps it simple.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

I am not sure how long the display would hold up with a foot being slammed into it all of the time. However, Ernie Ball pedals are built like a tank. Unfortunately, they are usually the size of a tank.

I generally do not use pedals except for recording. However, for a country gig, a volume pedal is pretty darn handy.
Vinnie who?
DaddyNoBucks

Post by DaddyNoBucks »

i don't know...i think it's genius if you're trying to shrink a pedalboard down as far as possible so it would really help to have 1 pedal that did 2 different things. i don't know if i would buy one though even though my volume pedal needs to be upgraded in the world's worst way. i'm kind of picky when it comes to tuners (i've bought 2 tuner pedals in the past 12 months and i'm not really crazy about either of them) so if i bought it, i'd still probably end up keeping a tuner pedal on my board so that kind of defeats the purpose of having a pedal that does 2 different things.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Why do you need either pedal ?
If you play on ten ,no one can hear if you're in tune anyway.
SEE ? I am a problem solver !!!!
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

DaddyNoBucks wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm. i'm kind of picky when it comes to tuners (i've bought 2 tuner pedals in the past 12 months and i'm not really crazy about either of them)

Like you, I am picky about tuners and have gone through a lot of them over the years. My main gripe is the accuracy of most tuners. I need accuracy. I am convinced there is not a perfect tuner. Here is what I settled on:

https://www.turbo-tuner.com

It is the most accurate tuner I have ever used. Five years ago when I bought it, I did the math when comparing it to a Peterson and a BOSS. It is more accurate than a Peterson and way more accurate than a BOSS. I am not crazy about the interface (needs more colors than just red), but it is a compromise I am willing to make for the accuracy.

It might be worth a try if you aren't happy with what you have. Tuners are a very individual thing, much like picking out your wife.
Vinnie who?
DaddyNoBucks

Post by DaddyNoBucks »

Kuron wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:26 pm
Like you, I am picky about tuners and have gone through a lot of them over the years. My main gripe is the accuracy of most tuners. I need accuracy. I am convinced there is not a perfect tuner. Here is what I settled on:

https://www.turbo-tuner.com

It is the most accurate tuner I have ever used. Five years ago when I bought it, I did the math when comparing it to a Peterson and a BOSS. It is more accurate than a Peterson and way more accurate than a BOSS. I am not crazy about the interface (needs more colors than just red), but it is a compromise I am willing to make for the accuracy.

It might be worth a try if you aren't happy with what you have. Tuners are a very individual thing, much like picking out your wife.
thanks for the heads up. i will look into those. i have high hopes for the new peterson strobe pedals that were at namm. i've got an ibanez big mini (which was $50 straight down the dumper!) and a polytune mini 2. the polytune is decent in strobe mode and i feel like i can do a decent intonation with it (which is more than i can say for the ibanez). the multi mode (where you strum everything at once) gets a little wonky from time to time. i don't know if its picking up buzzing or some other noise or something but the multi function will show everything off a hair but when i check each string by itself its dead on.

i've gone through a bunch of tuners in 18 years but only one wife. i must have done a better job picking out the wife...
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

DaddyNoBucks wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:29 pm thanks for the heads up. i will look into those. i have high hopes for the new peterson strobe pedals that were at namm. i've got an ibanez big mini (which was $50 straight down the dumper!) and a polytune mini 2. the polytune is decent in strobe mode and i feel like i can do a decent intonation with it (which is more than i can say for the ibanez). the multi mode (where you strum everything at once) gets a little wonky from time to time. i don't know if its picking up buzzing or some other noise or something but the multi function will show everything off a hair but when i check each string by itself its dead on.

i've gone through a bunch of tuners in 18 years but only one wife. i must have done a better job picking out the wife...

When my studio is up and running, I build guitars and repair them and do setups for people. That is why accuracy is so important to me. I appreciate the feedback on the Ibanez as I was considering one of those for gigs as it has a nice display. I took it out of my Amazon cart.

I am also considering this one for live use, as I have the clip on version of this I use for acoustic gigs and it is really good.

Where I live, you do not really see any music stores until you get into Nashville (the traffic alone will keep you out of there). There is a Sam Ash in Madison, but that is still a hike for me. Somewhere is a Guitar Center (I think it is in the mall), but it is against my religion to go in a Guitar Center. There is a pawn shop type of place in Lafayette that has a tiny bit of music stuff, and a Grandma & Grandpa one in Westmoreland, but they mainly cater to country (not a put down, just a fact) and they barely have anything. There is one in Portland (again not close), but I never get out that way and have never been in it. So, I have to order gear and if I do not like it, return it or take it to the pawn shop or put it on ebay. I have easily been through two dozen tuners in the past 10+ years.

Been with wifey since late 2015 and known her since late 2014. It took a while, but I found the perfect one and she was worth the wait. I am truly blessed. :)
Vinnie who?