I've been wanting to rebuild my Dean ZX for somtime, I decided to metal flake the whole body a dark ruby red, as well as the headstock. The metal flake didn't take as well as I hoped on the wood originally, but after multiple coats and a lot sanding it finally took and started to come through. I than threw on some candy to make the red pop, this was all done about six months ago. I will try to find the pics of that process....
The guitar eventually got caked by over spray, because of a project car being redone in the garage. So I was pissed at this point, because a nice crack showed through the paint right where the neck bolts in. The guitar was prepped horribly from the get go, so I decided to take it back from where it had resided for the better part of two years and redo it.
I stripped the guitar to its base on the front by hand, leaving the sides and back painted. I also stripped the headstock and left the winged logo with a burned effect (the original blueprint for an Explorer showcased the now famous Dean version). I beveled the edges by hand and applied more red pearl overy the flake to give it a deeper look. The sides are pretty chunk from the stripper, as I had no intention of leaving the original color. It gives it some charcter looking appropriate given the age. I wet sanded the neck, thinning it a good inch for less action and way more slick feel. The necks feels as thin as a Mosrite would now. It has a bit off buzz, but with 10s it pretty stiff and feels like a Jackson or higher end Dean would. I rewired new pick ups and sanded the frest lightly with mineral spirits. The clear coated the front and headstock, but I left the neck bare on the back for smoother feel.
I love the Explorer shape and felt this a perfect Frankenstein body, as I already have Gibson V that I cherish daily.!!!
Thanx for lookin you animals!!!