Guitar question !

Talk about your equipment
michellenicole92

Guitar question !

Post by michellenicole92 »

Hey guys!

So I have a quick question and I wasn't sure where to post it but here seems to make sense! Anyways, I want to buy my first guitar because I'm going to finally get around to learning how to play. I've wanted to for ages but I've always just stuck to piano my whole life haha. I wanna branch out and was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation of what to buy. I've never had a guitar nor do I know anything about them so some friendly advice/guidance would be lovely :)

Thanks!
shramiac

Re: Guitar question !

Post by shramiac »

Acoustics: Get a Washburn, an Ibanez or even a cheaper Fender model. Should be able to pick one of those for a couple of hundred bucks in the US. You'll be getting good quality with those brands, even with the lower end models.

Electrics: Probably an LTD or a RG model Ibanez. Maybe go for one without a wang bar for ease of tuning until you're used to playing. Maybe later go for one of the higher end Ibanez, Jackson, Fender...etc

Don't worry about fingerboard radius or anything like that. Now doubt as a woman, you were blessed with long skinny fingers that can play any shape neck.......jealous! :( :P :D

Being in Cali, you will probably have the greatest selection of new and 2nd hand guitars in the world!

Having said all that, you could sweet talk Kev into selling one of his! :P :P :P

Sorry Kev! I know they're all your babies! :D
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
michellenicole92

Awesome!! Thank you thank you, that really helps a ton! :)

Hmm now does it matter whether I start with an acoustic or electric?

I'm going to start shopping around so hope I find something soon :)
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Electrics are a little easier to play due to the thinner strings, they're quieter, you can plug them into a phone app to practice & they look cooler :8

That said, learning on an acoustic has its benefits too...stronger fingers for sure. I know my hands die pretty quickly when playing an acoustic! :(

Sadly, even though they in many respects should be the same, acoustics & electrics are very different animals to me. Lazy bastard I am! :(
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
michellenicole92

Ahhh I really REALLY want an electric! That's what I've had in the back of my mind so it will be my top priority when looking haha

I'm so excited! I'll update once I make a purchase :) thanks!
LLinvasion

Post by LLinvasion »

Hi , i live in socal as well and im selling some guitars if your interested actually. Let me know i have them up on craigslist for the time being, but i assure they are way better quality than what you pay for at guitar center or sam ash for the prices im selling them for.
michellenicole92

Awesome man yeah send me a message with info and such :)
ankh

Post by ankh »

michellenicole,
as advice i would suggest to look for a few things.

First, check the guitar neck and see if it fits nicely on your left hand(or right one if you are left handed).Guitar necks have different shapes and profiles and a neck that feels confy can be a huge plus.Then check the guitar action(the strings' distance from the fretboard).Many guitarists started with battered acoustics with action too high and that made things so much difficult to learn.
Guitar needs to have a good balance and not neck heavy,as this can influence the postion you play and make it harder on the arms and back.
Since you want an electric, i would suggest you to listen to the guitar unplugged first.Pickups can be changed but you can't improve what it is just a plank of bad wood.
When you sturm the whole guitar body had to resonate well wqith good sustain and you should feel a wide spectrum of vibrations,this will confirm you that it is a good guitar.
Then you can play it plugged in and hear if it has a nice sound to you,with a nice dynamic range,regardless of the brand name.I've played many famous guitars that were just barely above firewood and found many obscure guitars that played great.I would stay away from guitars with too powerful pickups as they sound muddy when you play them with tons of distortion.
Sorry as it may sound TMI, but such things can make a diffrence and may help enjoyng the instrument of your choice much more.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Great suggestions from both Shram and Ankh
michellenicole92

Ooooh more lovely advice, thank you so much ankh! :) that's really helpful as well! I have a lot to consider now. hmmm wish I could take you all guitar shopping with me haha!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Put it in your hands.
If it feels good and you can make some pleasing sounds come out of it, then that is the instrument for you.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
LLinvasion

Post by LLinvasion »

Pm the guitar info to you, i never used this messaging system on here so let me know if ya got it!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

C'mon...tell us all what you've got for sale LL?

You never know, there might be some other interested persons here in purchasing your gear.

Michelle gets first pick of course! :mrgreen:
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

shramiac wrote:C'mon...tell us all what you've got for sale LL?

You never know, there might be some other interested persons here in purchasing your gear.

Exactly. Pay no attention to the FOR SALE OR TRADE section... ...or to the man behind the curtain. ;-)

NEWBEGINNINGS
ankh

Post by ankh »

michellenicole92 wrote:Ooooh more lovely advice, thank you so much ankh! :) that's really helpful as well! I have a lot to consider now. hmmm wish I could take you all guitar shopping with me haha!

too kind, but i already have ttoo many guitars and i don't want to fuel my guiotar fetish too often.

Rick gave you a great advice .Pick a guitar that makes you want to play.

Recently i was in a store and there was a cheap tele copy.I was intruigued, i did play it and then bought it on the spot for 40 $ used.It sounds great.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
LLinvasion

Post by LLinvasion »

shramiac wrote:C'mon...tell us all what you've got for sale LL?

Ha okay, i might have some interesting stuff in the next couple days. Ill post it in that for sale trade section lol.
michellenicole92

poserboy71 wrote:Put it in your hands.
If it feels good and you can make some pleasing sounds come out of it, then that is the instrument for you.
Don't know if the sounds will be too pleasing yet but I'll try! :)
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

This guitar would be good in my opinion http://m.ebay.com/itm/1985-Robin-Medley ... nav=SEARCH
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

These new Chinese bc rich gunslingers are good in my opinion http://m.ebay.com/itm/B-C-Rich-Gunsling ... nav=SEARCH
Bye Bye
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

I'd say go get one of those signature guitars of a guitar player you like. Some are not too expensive : Lavigne telecaster, Orianthi PRS, Jay Mascis Jazzmaster, Adrian Smith Jackson, Paul Stanley PS, etc.
say two sky two say fare
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Michelle,
Have you decided on a budget that your comfortable with and I assume that this budget would be for the guitar, amp and a tuner that you will need if the amp that you choose doesn't have a tuner built in. What you feel comfortable spending will determine what you can get.........

K
michellenicole92

Oooh thanks for the suggestions guys :) I appreciate it!

@Kev hmmmm I never really set a budget in my mind haha I mean, I don't wanna get crazy yet and buy something super amazing but I want to make a good investment that I can use for a while. As for exact numbers, I have no clue ha ha
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

michellenicole92 wrote:Oooh thanks for the suggestions guys :) I appreciate it!

@Kev hmmmm I never really set a budget in my mind haha I mean, I don't wanna get crazy yet and buy something super amazing but I want to make a good investment that I can use for a while. As for exact numbers, I have no clue ha ha
If you want to make a good investment and get a guitar and amplifier that will retain some residual value after your purchase you will want to buy something gently used, a respected brand and your budget should be around 1 thousand dollars. You could definitely get into something for much less but if you do it may not be something that you will want to keep and if later you decide to sell it you may only get pennies on the dollar paid.

I would consider brands like Charvel, Jackson or Ibanez in a Stratocaster Shape and for a practice amp look for Peavey, Roland, Fender or Beringer with a tuner built in. This would be a good starting point but remember there are lots of good ideas and there isn't just one good way to go but many good options once you decide what you think looks good for you. Andrew is correct in that you should avoid a tremolo on your first guitar so that you can tune up quickly and easily. Trem's can be cranky to keep in balance even for long time guitar players.............
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I believe that I have a solution. Guitar Center has the lower line Nuno Bettencourt models on sale for roughly $80.00. A small yet sturdy guitar that would be perfect and inspirational to learn on. Non-floating bridge, low action, comfortable,and portable.

NEWBEGINNINGS