Post Pictures of your Parts Guitar Creations Here that you put together

Talk about your equipment
Slayer

Post Pictures of your Parts Guitar Creations Here that you put together

Post by Slayer »

Here is the spot to put pictures and stories of guitars that V.V.F.F. Members have built or modified to the point that they qualify as a rebuild

Have fun here

Kev
Slayer

Re: Post Pictures of your Parts Guitar Creations Here that you put together

Post by Slayer »

This is a parts Vai O Flame that I assembled. The body was acquired from Deep 6 Guitars which is the same place where Danni and I both purchased VVV Bodies and then the rest of the parts off of Ebay. I painted the guitar Orange and then the front Yellow. I'm not a good painter but I got the effect that I want as the guitar looks good from a distance.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Body came from Deep 6 Guitars
Neck and hardware came from Ebay
PU came from an Ebay Store that years ago was specializing in very high output pick ups
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

This was a standard $69 Chinese Strat Copy that was in typical Fender Fashion outfitted in white and chrome. Pick Guard was changed and everything else including all screws have been outfitted in gold. The Trem King that was added requires no routing to the front of the only the back cavity which is concealed underneath the tremcover.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

This started life as a cheapo Mexican Strat with a white pick guard. The neck was scalloped and the body was routed for a Floyd Rose Style Trem. A humbucking pick up was added in the bridge location and all hardware was changed to Gold.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Cool suff, Uncle Kev !
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

This Frankenstein Soloist from last Christmas is a favorite and plays and sounds great. It just needs one last tiny tweak with how the neck is currently sitting in the neck pocket to rightsize the string placement for the high E string. The soloist neck that Jixter purchased me was the wrong scale so I had to trim it down to the correct length to support accurate intonation.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

The Frankencaster was broken in 4 pieces when I picked in up. The headstock was broken in half into 2 pieces and so was the body. When this was put back together it was outfitted in chrome and left rugged looking for a road worn effect. The garage sale that I picked this up at in the late 1980's told me that 2 guitars were stage smashed like what Paul Stanley is famous for.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

This is a Chinese Malmsteen Strat that was routed for a Floyd Licensed Trem and a humbucker with a red mirror pick guard
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

But you love the white pick guard with white pickups, Kev! Why all the changes! Bwwwaaarrrhahahahahahah :twisted:

So the last one is a DHGate or TradeTang "Yngwie" then? How did it play when it was still standard?
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

You've sure been busy over the years haven't you Kev?

I don't have anything like this in my collection but maybe one day I'll build something out of parts. It just hasn't happened yet.

Well done.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
ankh

Post by ankh »

http://vvforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5571#p92101

fretless 12 nylon string out iof a cheap 12 string acoustic guitar, now it sposrts a piezo with preamp and eq

it is a 70's Italian guitar,made by melody.
the original puickups sound good, but i had it modded.A dear friend of mine-and a great inspirational musician- made it fretless with an unique finish, changed the bridge to a through the body one(almost like a tele),added an old 1980 Ibanez roadster pickup and then we did put an hot rail pickup copy(bought brand new from uk at 18 £) on the bridge,plus a coil switch.Two volumes one tone.Weirdily enough,the original tuning pegs give a more acousrtic tone
It plays great, and i did use it for makin some unusual sounds:

[youtube][/youtube]

Uncle Kev already knows those guitars, now i'm workin on another one,we'll see;)
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Ankh,
Please tell me more about the first guitar with the neck pick up only. I'm liking that one and I was thinking that our friend Dino probably had a wet dream when he saw it. I'm imagining it to have a mellow warmer sound? The more that I look at this axe the more I appreciate its simple but very stable design. Many of your guitars are quite unique compared to what we come across in the USA. I would guess that it is quite a challenge to find adequate parts too as many of your guitars have a vintage look and feel. With that said GREAT POST and GREAT SHARE ANHK!

Kev
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

shramiac wrote:But you love the white pick guard with white pickups, Kev! Why all the changes! Bwwwaaarrrhahahahahahah :twisted:

So the last one is a DHGate or TradeTang "Yngwie" then? How did it play when it was still standard?
LOL, you know me well from clear across the world at this point and over the years :-)

I really don't know the original source for this guitar as I was not the first owner. I wanted and purchased the guitar for the neck as a Malmsteen Neck even a copy can be pricey. The neck is a close match for the original and the frets were good. The initial challenge was how the neck rested in the neck pocket which was easily cured by adding a shim to the neck pocket to slightly change the angle. This guitar now plays and sounds great. I have one issue in that the "G" string doesn't hold tune as well as I would like so I feel that the permanent solution is to change the bridge and upgrade to a real Floyd or a very high end copy. I have several guitars that have these cheap import bridges based on a Floyd Rose design as they basically suck. They are better than a Fender Synchronized Tremolo but are miles away from the best available. As we know it only takes focus, time and money and as I believe Rick mentioned recently often after a long hard day it is easier to just grab a different guitar that is working 100%.......

Kev
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote:You've sure been busy over the years haven't you Kev?

I don't have anything like this in my collection but maybe one day I'll build something out of parts. It just hasn't happened yet.

Well done.
Vic,
I know that you have plans to eventually take apart that original Monster VVV. Sounds to me that the basics of the guitar are there after you rework the fret board and some cosmetic issues that don't agree with you. I know that at one time Trevor really liked that guitar until he got his hands on the famous custom painted Jackson that Andrew now has.

What I can tell you is this, if you came across a Charvel Body, Floyd Rose Tremolo, Your Favorite Hot Pick Ups and a can of glossy red paint (LOL) you would probably feel like a fun little kid putting those parts together. In the end after some tweaking at worst you would have a guitar that you could leave out in a busier room on a guitar stand that encouraged you to grab and play it at regular intervals and that you wouldn't fear the little ones bumping or hurting. I know that you take good care of all your guitars and usually keep them in their cases to protect them which I respect but for me I have to have something out that I can just grab and I make sure that is a road worn guitar or one of these beasts that I put together.

K
ankh

Post by ankh »

Kev, thnaks for yout words, i'm humbled! :oops: :oops: :oops:

the first guitar is a story in itself:
years ago i was in a special fair(sort of big flea market disguised as fair) and i did spot one old Egmond guitar.The guitar had tha t body and a strat type neck.I bought it for 8 dollars.
The neck was completely warped,it was attached to the body with just one screw and a microtilt like device.
However, what was intruiguing was the fact that the body, sideways showed a carved top.The guitar is a solid piece of wood tuil the bridge area, but the near around the bridge there's a sort of bulge, and the bodyitself is kind of hollow there.Even my luthier-a person of great experience, great knowledge and even greater patience when it comes about me- was surprised by that.The original owner added a patch of fake leather glued with trasnparent glue, i took it off and the guitar showed many traces of glue, spoiling its looks.

So i kept the body and i wanted to make a sort of jazz guitar.
I bought a gibson type neck off ebay,a tune-o-matic bridge off guitarfetish and then added gold tuners and a schaller minihumbucker bought at a local fleamarket.The rest of the bridge was taken off another vintage guitar.

The minihumbucker was placed on the right spot for maximum resonance

My luthier did put the three screws in the back and a brass plate.The pickup was attached to the body using a silicon based glue(this way you can remove it without altering the finish),commonly used for gluing furniture on tiles.He also modded the headstock and put lacquer on the back of the ( then unfinished) neck.A friend of mine restored the finish on the lower side near the bridge.
Since the pickguard was nowhere to be found and the one i liked was too expensive to buy overseas- based on a certain gibson jazz model- we did take a piece of fake glass( i think it was perspex) gave the actual shape and sprayed the back of it, conceiving the volume and tone pot-plus the jack socket- underneanth.

Surpirsingly enough, the guitar is good also to play rock since the minihumbucker has a pronounced midrange and is quite loud.

The guitar itself is light and very eassy to play.Many friends- who have many vintage and expensive guitars- were more thna pleasantly surprised.

“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

ankh

Post by ankh »

Kev, loved the guitar you showed here.And kudos to you for taking your time and patience to restore the guitars to your liking!! It is wonderful when a guitar is resurrected and plays again thanks to your personal effort.

About the g string problems, did graphite helped make things easier?

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

ankh

Post by ankh »

some more:

this is an original casio mg 510 MIDI guitar.The original pickups were kind of mellow, so i put two duncan ssl5 and the shadow eq5 pickup.The shadow is an active picku with onboard eq that allows you to reproduce the sound of many different pu's from fender to gibson to emg and the resemblance is uncanny.

i added three toggle switches,oone for active/passive, another for splitting the humbuycker and a third one to selct neck/brdige pickup or the three pickups together.

The guitar itself has been manifactured by fujigen gakki and has awonderful neck.

I also own the rare crazy shaped version with original case:

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

ankh

Post by ankh »

this one is an late 80's washburn g 2 guitar.

Bought it to get the wonderbar tremolo( it plays smoothly) unfortunately is multipply wood,but the neck feels nice.

I took off and sold the orginal pu and added two duncans a jazz in the neck and a jb model in the bridge.The center pu is by yamaha and it mix very well with the other two.I also added white volume and tone handles

Twop toggle switches for splitting the pu's and for selecting neck/bridge pu together or the three pu together.

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

ankh

Post by ankh »

this one(brown, Dino, brown!) in the back is an old kawai form the 80's:

i removed the original pu's, put a duncan 59 in the neck and a super distortion in the bridge, added schaller locking tuners and added another volume pot.The bridge was replaced with an old Ibanez one,resulting in more sustain.The handles were modded as well to better match the color.

It plays and sounds great.

Once a friend of mine was recording with a local famous singer and asked me for my Marshall.I took the kawai with me.He wasn't so convinced just by looking at it- he had 24 fret custom PRS, teles, p90 gibson and several strats, but eneded up recording his part with the kawai and an ac 30. :P

Each time he plays my guitar, he says "never part with it!" :mrgreen:

The guitar in the front is a zenon,with a neck the size of a baseball bat-literally.Since it doesn't tune so well,i tuned it in open g for slide.Also the pu's are kind of mellow and low output but when you crank distortion you can hear every note

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Lots and lots and lots of guitars!

I own a similar aged Washburn G8-V, ankh! Mine is a single block of timber and not ply. It has a Floyd too....well, the crappiest Washburn branded Floyd with the strings being fed through the intonation bolts! Blah! It's stiffer then Ron Jeremy!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
birnie

Post by birnie »

Bloody hell!
Well done Kev !
You've opened the flood gates!
This thread's tops !
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Ankh,
Great posts brother! I will reply more specifically to each in a day or so and I have some more posts too. The more you tell me about the work and love that you have put into the "neck pick up guitar" the more I seem to like it even more. I will have some comments and questions on the other guitars in the pictures too. I'm stuck in a very busy time right now but I wanted to acknowledge your tremendous posts and work history on the guitars that you are sharing.

More to come

Kev
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Slayer wrote:
Genebaby wrote:You've sure been busy over the years haven't you Kev?

Well done.
Vic,
I know that you have plans to eventually take apart that original Monster VVV. Sounds to me that the basics of the guitar are there after you rework the fret board and some cosmetic issues that don't agree with you. I know that at one time Trevor really liked that guitar until he got his hands on the famous custom painted Jackson that Andrew now has.

What I can tell you is this, if you came across a Charvel Body, Floyd Rose Tremolo, Your Favorite Hot Pick Ups and a can of glossy red paint (LOL) you would probably feel like a fun little kid putting those parts together. In the end after some tweaking at worst you would have a guitar that you could leave out in a busier room on a guitar stand that encouraged you to grab and play it at regular intervals and that you wouldn't fear the little ones bumping or hurting. I know that you take good care of all your guitars and usually keep them in their cases to protect them which I respect but for me I have to have something out that I can just grab and I make sure that is a road worn guitar or one of these beasts that I put together.

K

Yes, the Monster VVV does need some attention, but by a proper luthier, not me, after which it should be a pretty killer guitar. It did play really well prior to the fingerboard lifting up, but with that and some of the rough edges sorted, along with a headstock reshaping and new paint, it should be good!!!!

I hear you on the build thing but for some reason I never got around to building something from Warmoth etc. If I was going to do it I would probably get a Musikraft neck, but I know there are a lot of options for the neck and body and the rest is easy, two hums and a Floyd!!

Maybe one day, maybe one day...... :)
ankh

Post by ankh »

pickupedupa gibson copy in terrible state, so i decided to restore it and put p90 in them.
MY Luthier kindly routed the cavities for the p90s, then i brought it to a body shop car mechanic, asked him to fill the cuts and also to repaint it ferrari red using nitro lacquer i bought at a local shop.
I was quite happy, not bad considering it was the first time i did this.
Sounds very nice, the pickups are by Mighty Mite.A freind of mine had a Gibosn historic series goldtop with p90, he put minihumbucker in them, but, by his own admission, the gap isn't so huge,it is more a matter of hues, it is subtle.

now, the pics.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

the thing on the headstock was put for aesthetic purposes and also to balance the guitar out, it was light on that side.Next i'll put better tuners.Both the selector ring and the pickguard are cream colored(the flash of the cellphone didn't catch that) the pu's covers are vintage cream.

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Cool.

Look better if you could paint binding on the headstock...be a pain in the butt to do though.
ankh

Post by ankh »

with that color, i don't think the binding-of any color- would look good, especially around the body.It looks like a Guild/Gibby hybryd.

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Ankh,
You sure brought that scratched up Les Paul back to life!

Nice Job brother!

Kev
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

The Xmas Strat

This was originally Black on Red with Chrome Accessories and is now Black Accessories on Red and Green.

ankh

Post by ankh »

Kev,bro, thnaks for your words!

Love what you've done on the xmas strat, bet itlooks great under the lights,quite unique.Does the floyd have a routed cavity in the back for pulling upwards àla Brad Gillis?

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

Slayer

Post by Slayer »

ankh wrote:Kev,bro, thnaks for your words!

Love what you've done on the xmas strat, bet itlooks great under the lights,quite unique.Does the floyd have a routed cavity in the back for pulling upwards àla Brad Gillis?

Yes a kind of sloppy lions claw similar to an Ibanez
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Korean Strat transformation before and after

Essentially the only thing left is the body

Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Reb Beach Voyager Project

These bodies are available on Ebay and fit Ibanez Parts
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Cool Voyager, I remember when those came out, used to like playing one at my guitar store.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Genebaby wrote:Cool Voyager, I remember when those came out, used to like playing one at my guitar store.
Aha! So you ARE an Ibanez fanboy after all! Wait.... Ibanez made a red Voyager didn't they? :roll: :roll: :roll: Figures!!! :P :P :P
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ha ha, it was the natural model and before I got my first Charvel.
ankh

Post by ankh »

worked on some new creatures...

[URL=http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

picked up an old (Brown, Dino,Brown!!! :lol: ) Melody guitar.Originally it had two single coils,an old style trem,cream stracthplate.The body is made of mahogany and the neck is made of maple and rosewood fingerboard
Put a new neck(from another melody), filled the tremolo cavity and part of the body under the scracthplate that was painted it some sort of copper/brass mix color, added two GFS NY pu's and an handmade strat pickup in the center( i had to calculate and find the right spot where to put them),a 5 way switch and a special GFS tuneomatic and bridge to add more sustain.A lot of comsetic work still needs to be done,as you can clearly see, but the guitar is light,plays great, great tone, lots of sustain and the pu's are a sort of p90,Rick/ de armond hybrid.The tuners ,even tough they are old, add a bit of acoustic tone.

I was looking for a sound close to Eric Bell strat(he put on de armond 2000 pu's, they look like humbukcers but they are souped up single coils)

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

ankh

Post by ankh »

another one.....

A 80's Matsumoku / Vantage.
Neck thru with just one volume/one tone and two humbuckers.The neck pu was dead.An old framus single coil was added by the original owner.
I Put a GFS dream 180 in the neck, changed the bridge saddles to add more sustain, put two volumes-one is a push pull so i can split the humbucker- and a master tone, plus a kill switch.Added new knobs.
The Dream 180 is VERY versatile, with a sound of its own,a nd you can play from jazz to hard rock with it.The bridge pu sounds great too, lots of attack and sustain.

Last edited by ankh on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

ankh

Post by ankh »

that one was a sort of a puzzle.

Started as cheap EKO ( modern chinese factory made) that played good unplugged.Strings were simply attached to back of the bridge
I had the luthier drill the holes in the body to have the strings going through the body,like a real tele.Added the ferrules.Changed the tuners.Changed the bridge saddles from filmsy metal ones to brass ones, the first three were made of pure brass, so the famous tele highs wouldn't blow my ears off.
The original pu's didn't sound bad, but the neck one didn't have any highs-at all,and low volume.
First, i completely redid the electronics, especially the pu selector needed a completely different wiring.

Then i bought a very famous tele set,and put them in.Guitar sounded much better, but the neck pu's sounded too much like a strat.

So i had an idea.

I took the original set of pu's.Neck one was made of alnico, the bridge was ceramic.
Then i bought a children game called "Geomag".You can build some sort of geometric figures with it:
http://www.geomagworld.com/en

the little cylinders that conncet the steel spheres have little neodynium magnets at both estremities.
So i pull them out using a knife(they are covered with just a layer of plastic -in honour of the glam era, i bought the glitter dark pink set :P :lol: ).They are exactly of the same size of guitar pu's polepieces.

Put them one by one under the neck pu's polepieces.The bridge pu had two ferrite magnets,one under the pu and another under the brass plate.I removed the ferrite magnets, put the neodynium discs under the pu and polished and sanded the brass plate.

Removed the new pu's and put the original ones back in.

The guitar sounded more like a tele, but the neck pick still didn't have highs.
I removed the neck pickup tin cover.
The pu did get the highs back,sounded fully balanced, finally,but when i was bending the strings the sound went away.So i put one of the ferrite bar under the neodynium poles.
Strangely enough, the bridge pu was completely fine.
Now the guitar finally sounds like a real tele

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

ankh wrote:

So i had an idea.

I took the original set of pu's.Neck one was made of alnico, the bridge was ceramic.
Then i bought a children game called "Geomag".You can build some sort of geometric figures with it:

the little cylinders that conncet the steel spheres have little neodynium magnets at both estremities.
So i pull them out using a knife(they are covered with just a layer of plastic -in honour of the glam era, i bought the glitter dark pink set :P :lol: ).They are exactly of the same size of guitar pu's polepieces.

Put them one by one under the neck pu's polepieces.The bridge pu had two ferrite magnets,one under the pu and another under the brass plate.I removed the ferrite magnets, put the neodynium discs under the pu and polished and sanded the brass plate.

]
That's amazing! Now my son has to hide his Geomags from me...
say two sky two say fare
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

ankh wrote:another one.....

A 80's Matsumoku / Vantage.
Neck thru with just one volume/one tone and two humbuckers.The neck pu was dead.An old framus single coil was added by the original owner.
I Put a GFS dream 180 in the neck, changed the bridge saddles to add more sustain, put two volumes-one is a push pull so i can split the humbucker- and a master tone, plus a kill switch.Added new knobs.
The Dream 180 is VERY versatile, with a sound of its own,a nd you can play from jazz to hard rock with it.The bridge pu sounds great too, lots of attack and sustain.

In the early 1980's I started playing a lot of Aria Pro II Guitars that were plentiful in the guitar shop in my home town that we would frequent. These also were made at Matsumoku and over the years some of these guitars have become quite collectible. I still have a few of these guitars left.........

On a side note I see that Photobucket no longer hosts free picture storage so I'm going to need set something new up for some of the old guitar pictures.

Great Fun Ankh!

Kev
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

ankh wrote:that one was a sort of a puzzle.

Started as cheap EKO ( modern chinese factory made) that played good unplugged.Strings were simply attached to back of the bridge
I had the luthier drill the holes in the body to have the strings going through the body,like a real tele.Added the ferrules.Changed the tuners.Changed the bridge saddles from filmsy metal ones to brass ones, the first three were made of pure brass, so the famous tele highs wouldn't blow my ears off.
The original pu's didn't sound bad, but the neck one didn't have any highs-at all,and low volume.
First, i completely redid the electronics, especially the pu selector needed a completely different wiring.

Then i bought a very famous tele set,and put them in.Guitar sounded much better, but the neck pu's sounded too much like a strat.

So i had an idea.

Removed the new pu's and put the original ones back in.

The guitar sounded more like a tele, but the neck pick still didn't have highs.
I removed the neck pickup tin cover.
The pu did get the highs back,sounded fully balanced, finally,but when i was bending the strings the sound went away.So i put one of the ferrite bar under the neodynium poles.
Strangely enough, the bridge pu was completely fine.
Now the guitar finally sounds like a real tele

What a great Tale! I love Tele's! So bright and twangy
Kathyrindhoeps

Post by Kathyrindhoeps »

Here's my bits a caster. Built from mostly new parts. Mahogany body ( finish applied with a sponge) which turned out pretty good, surprisingly. MM2390 neck maple w/dunlop 6100 frets. Fralin bridge p/u SD neck p/u. Grover tuners, tusq nut. 250k vol pot. Never fit tone pots to my guitars. This one hasn't really been used in anger yet but it is my go to guitar. My other go to :lol: will be posted at a later date. Hope you like it. I know, another tele right, but I had to fit a strat neck as I hate the look of the standard tele headstock. Cheers all.
Attachments
20161029_125841.jpg
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Welcome here! Tele's are so bright sounding. Great job and we love guitar posts here at VVFF!
Kathyrindhoeps

Post by Kathyrindhoeps »

This one's not so bright (a bit like it's owner really) compared to a standard tele. A friend of mine played it, at my request, on one of his gigs and his fingers and the boogie seemed to make it sound awesome. It's definitely in the hands. It's great for rock stuff with a bit of bite on the bridge p/u for the leads. Still working on sounds with it but I think it's up there. I've pretty much always gone for strats previously. I just build my own out of bits these days because I know what I'm getting. It's by no means real guitar building but more satisfying than off the peg stuff when it goes right.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I dig a pony and like a Tele.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I'm not much of a put togetherer of guitars but I guess I have a couple of projects. Not on the boil as such, as these have been going on for a loooong time.

What you see is the Charvel sharkfin neck I just got from Ebay, with the body of a Model 4 Charvel I bought years ago, as a whole guitar, to give the neck to a friend.

After I gave the neck and plate away I sold the electronics and the Jackson trem.

Then I saw pretty much the same neck on Ebay going for a great price, and as I suspected in the auction pics, it has a proper Floyd nut factory fitted, which is what I love and it's the first of these early Japanese Charvels that I've seen that with.

Soooooo, I guess I'll be putting this baby back together, as I have some really cool Ultrasonic pickups I got from a Model 6 that has been undergoing surgery for 15 years and is now twin humbuckers so it doesn't need the Ultrasonic set anymore. I have a Charvel neckplate and a Floyd to suit.

Looking at the body for the first time in ages I realise I'll need some control knobs and switches too, forgot about that.

It's currently that metallic plum colour but I'm thinking I'll probably get it redone. Of course red is an obvious choice!! But!!!! If only my daughter was into her current electric guitar enough I would paint this her favourite colour, aqua/teal. Maybe I'll paint it that colour anyway to inspire her, it's a pretty cool colour for me anyhow.

Lying next to it is the very mint Model 1 neck I also got a long time ago and it used to live in that case with the Model 4 body. It now lives in the Soloist case I bought for the Model 6 whenever it's finished *never*cough*cough*never*.....the plan with the Model 1 neck is to remove the clear coat and oil it up like a US Charvel neck and eventually make a hardtail strat out of it. I do have an old Charvel brass hardtail bridge, which needs a polish, the big missing item is the body to put it on and then choose pickups.
20161108_210624.jpg
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

One of my favorite guitars that I own is a Charvel Model 4 with a maple fretboard. OOH LA LA

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

oooh, you got the maple boarded version, nice, they are fairly rare.

Doing some more research I have found some other necks like this one that normally don't have a Floyd nut but it seems some Japan only models in late 88/89 were made with Floyd nuts and matching Schaller trems, like the toothpaste logo Charvels were about to get in the next production run.

This neck could have come from a Model 3DR like this one:

poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

The Charvel Model 4 seems to have a bigger body than most Strat-style guitars. It fits well on my big frame. I wouldn't mind finding more of them.

NEWBEGINNINGS