New NFT Floyd Rose

Talk about your equipment
shramiac

New NFT Floyd Rose

Post by shramiac »

The Guthrie Govan Charvels are finally seeing the light of day, though apparently they are going to have one more modification! The bodies are now going to be "burnt/caramellised" as the necks were. Very picky is young master Guthrie! Cool specs for what is really just a "superstrat" but at $US4500 ish........don't think there's going to be 1000s of them built!

But interestingly there is a new NFT Floyd on it! And FINALLY it has what looks to be a pop-in arm! Yay! No more wobbly thread like a regular Floyd and easy removal! Guessing it's a similar bar to the Gotoh Floyd or the Wilkinson wangbar. Wonder if Charvel will market them out as a replacement. Vinnie and Brad Gillis would snavel them up for sure!

Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: New NFT Floyd Rose

Post by Genebaby »

The pop in arm was what Floyd's originally had, the collared arm works great for me on quality, real Floyd's, it's all the cheapies that maybe give the collar a bad name.

I guess with the right not and the locking tuners this will work.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Original Floyd had a screw in arm like a Fender. Bastard to set up and remove but great for flutters. My Petrucci has a pop in arm similar to the Gotoh and they are fabulous. You can set them to firm or swinging and there's still no slop.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Does it have bushings?
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Don't think it would. The Ibi Edge & Lo Pro Edge have the bushed arm like the JT6 (they are/were made by Gotoh) but the Gotoh Floyd itself doesn't use bushes, just the nylon sleeve in the arm holder with a grub screw to set the firmness. The Petrucci arm works in a similar way but has the small notch on the tip where it clicks in. Looks like the JT6 & Ibi arm but without the bushes. I love the Petrucci wangbar except for the dang ball ends. <---- tight#ss doesn't want to buy new strings!!! :P :lol:

Have a fiddle on your bud's new Majesty if he lets you. You'll love the feel of the bridge.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Just saw this video of Guthrie explaining his use of the old style Floyd.

One thing I found interesting, as his reasons were what I was expecting, but is it just me or is he screwing the middle pickup down so its out of the way?

This is what I do on my one guitar with a single coil in the middle (other than my Charvel strat with three singles) but I"m wondering why he would do it, being the designer of the guitar. If I was doing it, there would only be two hums. If I put a pickup in the middle I wouldn't screw it down as it would make sense that I would be using it.

[youtube][/youtube]