Talk about your equipment
Slayer

Post Pictures and Share the Love of Telecasters Here

Post by Slayer »

Top Left - Bulls Eye Parts Caster Patterned after a Charvel

Top Right - Jackson Soloist Custom Shop Tele from the late 1980's

Bottom Left - Blue Jean Parts Caster Relic

Bottom Right - The infamous Frankencaster with a Strat Neck

Twangcasters are a nice change of pace from Strats so who likes Telecasters out there besides me and Chris Bickley?
tukoztukoz

Re: Post Pictures and Share the Love of Telecasters Here

Post by tukoztukoz »

Nice collection, Kev! Which one do you prefer? Which one has the biggest value?
When I hear the word "Telecaster", I always think about Keith Richards. I still like his 1988 album "Talk is cheap" and the Telecaster he has (see the picture, back of the album cover - his fingers didn't look like pumpkins at that time...)
I have one Telecaster-shaped guitar. I'll post a picture of it one of these days...
say two sky two say fare

Post by 1031 »

Dude do you kill polar bears and cover your chairs or what !! LOL... Also love teles dont have one right now but love them !

Oh and love the three pickup Dean caddy custom in the back
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

"tukoztukoz" Wrote

Which one do you prefer? The answer changes at times but right now the Blue One. It currently has a "Screamin Demon" Pick Up in it and is a hot treble sounding rock n roll ax.

Which one has the biggest value? The Jackson Soloist Custom Shop probably by a long shot - this is a heavy sturdy neck through the body telecaster

I have one Telecaster-shaped guitar. I'll post a picture of it one of these days... - Make it so please and I can't wait. Many of us like the guitar show and tell sections here!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Dude do you kill polar bears and cover your chairs or what !!

LOL - So the story is this, my bride used to have that as a throw rug underneath the coffee table in our formal living room. In California a formal living room is the museum room that you never go into except in the event that you have an informal unknown visitor. LOL :-) Anybody that you know and hang out with makes it farther into the house to a place like the den. In typical wife fashion when she decided to change things she was just going to throw this fine specimen away so I naturally appropriated it to throw over my worn out guitar chair. She thinks that I'm so fucking tight that I squeak except of course when she is spending my money LOL :-)

LOL... Also love teles dont have one right now but love them !

I'm really a "Fat Strat" guy at this point in time but I really love and enjoy a variety of guitars. Being a luthier you get to work on, play and handle so many guitars it may satisfy your natural male whore-monger tendencies some but from what I have seen you have a nice selection of tasteful guitars yourself.

Aside from the Charvel San Dimas Style you don't see many Telecaster Shapes with Tremolos and when you do it's usually a Bigsby. I like things that are different and modified however I'm not as brave as Tukoz and have never taken a guitar as far under the knife as he has that Strat of his and that brother is courageous!

I really like reading the recaps of the guitars the come across your work bench and I enjoy learning from your guitar wisdom. Tele's can really have a bright sound!

Oh and love the three pickup Dean caddy custom in the back

I have a USA Anniversary Model and a European Model and they are both nice but very different from each other.

tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

This is my Charvette by Charvel I bought in 1991. Made in Korea. Not really an electric guitar, not really an acoustic guitar... I remember it had heavy strings when I bought it, and I put standard electric guitar strings on it after a while, which is not a very good choice I think nowadays. I will put Argentine Savarez strings on, they are great for acoustic guitars.
IMG_0699.JPG
say two sky two say fare
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

LAWDY LAWDY LAWDY !!!!

THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

tukoztukoz wrote:This is my Charvette by Charvel I bought in 1991. Made in Korea. Not really an electric guitar, not really an acoustic guitar... I remember it had heavy strings when I bought it, and I put standard electric guitar strings on it after a while, which is not a very good choice I think nowadays. I will put Argentine Savarez strings on, they are great for acoustic guitars.
IMG_0699.JPG
Tukoz,
What is the neck like on this guitar? Would you say that it is more the feel and shape of an electric guitar or more like an acoustic? It is a beautiful instrument either way!

Thank you for this great post!

Kev
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I'd forgotten about those, they are like the Kramer Ferrington, which I almost bought a few times back in the day.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

What is the neck like on this guitar? Would you say that it is more the feel and shape of an electric guitar or more like an acoustic? It is a beautiful instrument either way!
The neck is close to a Jackson neck (I can only compare it to my Jackson RR pro made in Indonesia...) : kind of thin with jumbo frets. The difference is that the Charvette's neck is screwed on the guitar body, and it's made of two pieces of wood. Small trees in Korea...
IMG_0701.JPG
What I don't like about this guitar is the fact that the neck is too heavy compared to the body, and you always have to hold up the guitar while playing. Maybe it's a balancing problem that Telecasters all have : I had an Epiphone Telecaster that was not well balanced too (I sold that one).
Also, the action is a little bit too high, and it seems impossible to set it lower without modifying the metal pieces on the bridge.
IMG_0703.JPG
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

That style of two piece neck is normal for Jackson necks, it's called a scarf joint and makes the neck strong against the angled back head stock.

One draw back on these cheaper acoustics from years ago is that the action does go to pooh. The laminate top is to blame. I have an Epiphone just like the one Ace played in unplugged, that I bought in 94 which has suffered the same fate over time. I bought it for looks and the playability of the thinner body.

I finally bought a solid top acoustic a few years ago, these days you can buy a solid top acoustic quite cheap compared to 94.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Oh, be careful doing anything at the bridge, you may kill the eclectics. I tried to have my action adjusted there by a luthier but it wasn't possible to make a dent in the height, it was too far gone.
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Genebaby wrote:Oh, be careful doing anything at the bridge, you may kill the eclectics. I tried to have my action adjusted there by a luthier but it wasn't possible to make a dent in the height, it was too far gone.
Ok, thanks Genebaby, I won't destroy that guitar... I did once lower a bridge made of wood on an acoustic guitar. The action was good, but the sound seemed to be less powerful. I guess acoustic guitars need higher action than electric ones.
say two sky two say fare
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

eric galletta guitar (the guy who worked with Wayne Charvel on Ritz guitars) Image
Bye Bye
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Beautiful post Dino
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

over the top for me. but great work. he pioneered the cracked shell thing. Wayne Charvel said it was way too toxic and time consuming to keep making Ritz/WRC's. I noticed Eric used the old WRC headstock on this one. The same one Mark Slaughter had. I was always more into the Ritz Headstock. I have said this before but every Ritz is like a different make of guitar. The sound, the look, the way the play. I used to hear guys say we had a ritz guitar and it was horrible, and would say they are all bad but actually you can not judge one ritz as the whole collection. They struggled at the end on making necks so a lot of the late models had customised Warmoth necks which was just about the only uniform thing about them. Great necks though. The original necks tended to be a bit chunkier. Galletta however still makes the cracked shell finishes in his California shop
Bye Bye