Pine guitar!!! (One for Dino :P )

Talk about your equipment
shramiac

Pine guitar!!! (One for Dino :P )

Post by shramiac »

Local fundraising event, using pine pallets to make furniture etc... My luthier decided to do something different! First acoustic he's ever built too. Modelled it off a 30 year old Yamaha he owns. Only non pine bit is the rosewood fingerboard and he's going to make pine inlays for it.

Dig the nail holes!
The flyer for the event.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Pine guitar!!! (One for Dino :P )

Post by Genebaby »

That's a good cause. Not a bad job for his first acoustic.
Commander in chief - VVF Army

Post by 1031 »

Thats very cool.... I doubt the neck "if its pine" holds true for long. But outstanding effort for great cause !! cudos !
One of my favotite builds was a notty pine tele white washed... the body was crazy soft though I think you could dent it setting on your lap LOL.
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

How did you know I dream of a pinecaster? Pretty good assumption sham

No way is a pine neck going to work though.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

He reckons neck will hold up alright. It's bolted via 2 threaded inserts in the heel and glued onto the body.

He was more worried about the bridge area so it's re-enforced on the inside. To be honest, it didn't sound any different to the Yamaha he based it off when you did a "knock test" on the body.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

doublev2 wrote:How did you know I dream of a pinecaster? Pretty good assumption sham

No, you've made light on your pine fixation before! :P :D :lol:
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Oh. Didn't know. Pine kicks ass.
Bye Bye

Post by 1031 »

shramiac wrote:He reckons neck will hold up alright. It's bolted via 2 threaded inserts in the heel and glued onto the body.
Oh yeah it should hold to the body fairly well, the relief is what I was talking about and the neck twisting. There has been a lot of pine used for bodys I believe Dean made a acoustic body thats pine it has thick poly coat though. its just so soft that you have to live with comes with that but it makes a very cool tone wood. I love that hes thinking out of the box
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I dare say it won't be getting heavy gauge strings!!!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I use 12 gauge and would love larger but my guitars don't have rods in neck. That said all my 60s rodless necks are perfectly straight.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Well I was wrong! He said it's getting 10s put on it and he's very confident the neck will hold up fine. Though, if it fell........guessing the headstock may snap pretty easily!?!?!?!

He decided to put a slight stain on it to "cover up the imperfections" but I think it turned out well. Still needed a final coat and a sand 'n' polish but I won't see it before it goes to the auction so I snapped these!
Pine trussrod cover and my ute in the background! lol
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Looking good!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Well! Low and behold, I had to pick up some gear from a shop next door to Specu and I got to see the finished product! He gets the action sooooooo low on his guitars, it's amazing. When you see his left hand, you'll see why he gets it so low.

A bit glary, sorry!

Sorry the sound is so low, my iPhone is aging fast!
[youtube][/youtube]
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Wow, it turned out great. Not sure how it will go over time but he did a great job.

Low action? He's my kinda guy.