NGDx2: Swirly Content

Talk about your equipment
n3p

NGDx2: Swirly Content

Post by n3p »

Now I know that some of you may not dig these, but i thought i'd share a couple of new additions :)

Never used to be a fan of these guitars at all, but they play so well!

1990 Ibanez UV77MC (Universe). Currently on an 'Out of This Swirled' body. It also came with the original MKR Japanese swirled body which the previous owner changed over as he wasn't a fan of the yellow. I am still undecided whether to change it over or not, I do like the yellow, and the pink on the OOTS is a bit extreme. Thoughts?

Pictured next to my JEM77PMC which has already featured on this forum.

Sod's law being what it is, an extremely rare guitar came up for sale at the same time, and I knew I'd regret not buying it. Annoyingly it's still in Customs but all being well it should be in my hands next week sometime.

Ibanez JEM77GMC:

This baby has been signed by Steve Vai, has a couple of battle scars but the swirl is killer. Will post another pic once the family is together :)

Nick
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
doublev2

Re: NGDx2: Swirly Content

Post by doublev2 »

Didnt like them when came out because so popular but I like them now
Bye Bye
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I love Jems!
They have fantastic necks and I'm also a fan of the Edge Tremelo.

I don't own one but then I don't need to as my guitar partner Jixter Tate has at least a dozen different Jems and another dozen RG450 and RG550's so I can play these guitars anytime.

The new Jems from Indonesia are surprisingly good instruments as well

Kev
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nice pickups Nick. I will never get a 7 string guitar myself but some of the 6 string ones seem nice to me.

I can't help you with choosing bodies but its cool you got both.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Slayer wrote: They have fantastic necks and I'm also a fan of the Edge Tremelo.

YES!

The new Jems from Indonesia are surprisingly good instruments as well

They're probably better now then my Japanese built ones!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Really Andrew? Is that due to age and condition of your Japanese ones?

What if they were both new?
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Yeah of course! Technology to make them gets better, hotter pickups, fret work on the Premium range is said to be first class, 5 piece neck with titianium rods, All Acess Neck Joint (my 2 have the old "bulkier" square neck joint, not that it's really that bulky as Nick's photos show on his) and it's Sea Foam Green :P :D (joking)!!!!!

My No.1 Jem has a really crap scallop job! Not that it matters way up there.

Sad that you don't get a case with the Premium Jem though? It's still a higher mid-range priced gitstick and deserves one as part of the price! At least a discount on the price anyway!

Good to see that the Original Edge comes with the Premium Jem too! Though the radius has gone from 17" to 16" for some reason? The neck is 1mm thicker too on the Premium and all other Jems then mine, as for some reason the 777VDY (Vine inlay/Desert Sun Yellow) had the thinnest Wizard neck on them? Don't think you'd really notice!

As well, for some reason the 777VDY had lower & wider frets (6140 rather than 6105)??? Must have known I was going to buy 2 and made them as different as me!!! :lol: My No.1 had a re-fret back in '98 and it got 6105s put on! Due for a re-fret again, stainless next time!

I'm surprised that the Jems don't come with a full scallop as Steve has his done that way now!

Nice finds there Nick!!!! You lucky, lucky bastard! :)
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Are Steve's fully scalloped now? I didn't notice.

I'll have to check out a new Jem. I do like the vine inlays.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

He's been using the True Temperament Fret system on some of his guitars too!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

You can really see it there. Cool. Not for me though.

Post by 1031 »

Sweet great guitars ...
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
n3p

Post by n3p »

shramiac wrote:Yeah of course! Technology to make them gets better, hotter pickups, fret work on the Premium range is said to be first class, 5 piece neck with titianium rods, All Acess Neck Joint (my 2 have the old "bulkier" square neck joint, not that it's really that bulky as Nick's photos show on his) and it's Sea Foam Green :P :D (joking)!!!!!

My No.1 Jem has a really crap scallop job! Not that it matters way up there.

Sad that you don't get a case with the Premium Jem though? It's still a higher mid-range priced gitstick and deserves one as part of the price! At least a discount on the price anyway!

Good to see that the Original Edge comes with the Premium Jem too! Though the radius has gone from 17" to 16" for some reason? The neck is 1mm thicker too on the Premium and all other Jems then mine, as for some reason the 777VDY (Vine inlay/Desert Sun Yellow) had the thinnest Wizard neck on them? Don't think you'd really notice!

As well, for some reason the 777VDY had lower & wider frets (6140 rather than 6105)??? Must have known I was going to buy 2 and made them as different as me!!! :lol: My No.1 had a re-fret back in '98 and it got 6105s put on! Due for a re-fret again, stainless next time!

I'm surprised that the Jems don't come with a full scallop as Steve has his done that way now!

Nice finds there Nick!!!! You lucky, lucky bastard! :)

Sage words Shram, you sure do know your Jems! I much prefer the maple fretboard on the PMC, but i almost feel bad for playing it as it is quite rare! I have my eyes on a new Jem actually, an FP2 to be precise. I think it looks great!

It's funny, local to me amongst friends and friends of friends are some of the rarest Jems/UVs around! 3x PMC, 3x GMC, UV77MC(MKR), VSK(!!), DNA to name a few. The LNG has eluded us all so far though!

To everyone else, thanks for the kind words. They really are great guitars to play and shouldn't lose their value. I'm now torn regarding my Shannon Soloist! Keep or sell?! It's almost a crime to have it sat there unplayed :(

Nick
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Don't fret (fret, get it?) about the Soloist Nick.

Vic's shelter for unplayed Charvel and Jackson guitars is always there, ready and willing to look after another stray.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Funny you mention the Loch Ness Green (LNG) one Nick, as birnie and I were having a chat about them on Saturday arvo while we were both on FB. There is one for sale in Australia on eBay. He wants $AU3999 but says he'll only post to Oz? It has the original trem hand rest still on it that I think only came with the green one!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ugh, another ugly Jem, lol.

The 505 looks interesting. You can get it with a maple board and its made in Japan with the Edge term. Just may need better pickups.

There is a guy in the US selling a very nice looking guitar he calls a Jem but it looks more like an RG, no monkey grip. Reasonably priced though.
Iceman75

Post by Iceman75 »

Love the swirlys!
Didn't Steve Vai do a limited issue swirly with his blood in it?
I'd keep the Shannon Soloist.
They're becoming harder to find.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

n3p

Post by n3p »

Iceman, the one you are talking about is the DNA. Also stupidly rare! and mega expensive.

What are you doing showing me that ebay ad shram!! Damn... My brother lives in Oz, and this is all becoming far too tempting!

Edited to add: Just seen the seller is in Sydney. Bro is in Adelaide. Probably for the best!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Shipping to Adelaide is cheap and easy Nick! ;)
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Genebaby wrote:Shipping to Adelaide is cheap and easy Nick! ;)

Indeed! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: