Wiring diagram needed

Talk about your equipment
Trixxy

Wiring diagram needed

Post by Trixxy »

i got my 80s super distortion but it is 2 wire (black/white) plus the bare wire, i need a diagram for a hss with 1 vol, 1 tone, and a 5 way switch, and a coil tap/killswitch
Sandimas

Re: Wiring diagram needed

Post by Sandimas »

You can't "coil tap" that DiMarzio unless you pull it apart and fit a 4 conductor cable, assuming that by coil tap you mean take out one of the coils via a switch to give a single coil sound.

The black and white plus separate bare wire (the screen) setup is so you can reverse the phase if you need to, by hooking either the black or white up to the screen, and the other wire to the hot.

To mod the pickup for coil tapping (a misnomer, tapping actually means hooking up less than the full winding and is pretty rare to find these days. Ibanez used to offer this on some of their hot single coil guitars, Blazers etc.) you need some 4 way plus screen cable, and you simply hook up the 4 wires to the two coils, and the screen to the baseplate. It's easy to mess it up though and needs careful disassembly and soldering.
Trixxy

Re: Wiring diagram needed

Post by Trixxy »

i actually got it soldered in by following the original wiring, i turned the coil tap into a killswitch