PALMER PD I-09-THE JUNCTION

Talk about your equipment
ankh

Post by ankh »

Sice i wanted to use more my amps and having difficulties in recording thanks to many different factors, i've jumped the chance and bought this device.It is a palm sized version of the more famous Palmer speaker emulator, the main difftrence being the attenuator(also know as power soak) being absent.You put his device between your amp's head and the speaker,part of the signal still goes to the speaker and another goes to an XLR out.You have the chance to to attenuate the output according to where you will link it to, and it has also a three EQ preset.Of course, you can also add an EQ afterwards and modifyng it a bit.So far i've tried at home, and it really works.The sound you get is very similar to a mic response.Of course, for a number of reasons is not the same, but it really helps out a lot.I think they 've nailed a great frequency response.AS bonus, when i was reharsing/jamming with my friends, i was just using a yamaha magicstomp( a great little device), linked to a mixer.Even tough the simulation and the effects are great, adding the palmer after it really did take the sound to a different level, more focused and less digital fizzness.I've found out that many simulators are good for recording but they sound fizzy and without the right punch when you put them through a PA.Using the Palmer solved the problem, even if you just use an effect, like, say, the phaser, it thickens and rounds the sound up into the right frame.
Apart from recording, a good way to use it is to go onstage with your amp, adn then , instread of miking the amop, send the signal from the Palmer to the PA.it saves a lot of time during the reharsal and also that way both you the sound man will be happy.

The device is completely passive, it doesn't require power, and sounds better than similar products.it cots more or less, 89 euros.

Playng with a guitar, the behringer vintage tube monster(VT99) and the pdi09(no amp) i've almost nailed the Judas Priest sound on "you don't have to old to be wise".The Behringer is a great od/distortion device, if you have the chance, try it out, it can downsize products that cost three times the price.And, if you change the tube inside, the sound can change alot.if you put a 12AT7 instead of the 12AX7, you can get sounds form light overdive to distortion.it has an inbuilt noise gate and three excellent tone controls.And it costs around 55 euros.

Btw, i've also tried , on suggestion by Scott Henderson, the maxon SD9, it is much transparent and better than the ts9.

Hope this can be interesting for some you :)
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

So the Palmer unit is better than sending a signal from my Pod HD direct to the PA? I will be using it in my new band live, with my Marshall TSL as the power amp but was going to mike it up.

Would it be better sounding to go direct with the Palmer? In my last band I went direct from the XT Live with no other amp, the other signal went to my monitor. This time I'm being more traditional with an amp onstage.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
ankh

Re: PALMER PD I-09-THE JUNCTION

Post by ankh »

Genebaby wrote:So the Palmer unit is better than sending a signal from my Pod HD direct to the PA? I will be using it in my new band live, with my Marshall TSL as the power amp but was going to mike it up.

Would it be better sounding to go direct with the Palmer? In my last band I went direct from the XT Live with no other amp, the other signal went to my monitor. This time I'm being more traditional with an amp onstage.

Gb, i don't have an IPod, but, so far i've seen how much of a difference an analog device makes when you link it to a pA.The magicstomp has excellent simulations, some say better than line6, but there's a certain lack of punch.I've AB 'ed the magicstomp simulation with an anlog device called award session JDII( jerry donahue model) ,it's an analog, FET filled preamp with speaker simulation.There was a huge difference.
It''s is like- with the palmer -you get a more focused signal.Also, some poeple are arguing about not going straigh from the guitar to the pod and devices like that for impedance problems.Like, when you use an amp the signal you got is modified at the jack, while with the pod and so on it is a bit like putting the guitar into a mixer input.Some poeple hacve used a passive device made by radial pedals and swear the signal is stronger and clearer:

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-dragster.htm
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

that looks great. thanks ankh
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Great, thanks for that, I'll be checking them out!
ankh

Post by ankh »

thanks to both of you for your kind words!

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

thanks for your kind words back.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

No worries ankh, this is very cool. I think the Dragster is for me most likely.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I have ordered a Dragster to see how it goes!
ankh

Post by ankh »

please let me know what do you think of it.

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

No worries, will do! I'm interested to hear how it affects the feel and sound of my rig.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Damn!!! I got the box yesterday in time for last nights jam but then with all the rushing about to get out the door I forgot to bring it!!!!

Will try it when usign the PC next to practice during the week, see if I notice, then use it again with the band, but I only use a spare amp the drummer has. The big test will be using the POD HD through the Marshall at a gig, but I'm hoping to hear something at rehearsal and the PC too.
ankh

Post by ankh »

no hurry;).

Saturday i reahrsed some riffs with my drummer, i did use this setup:

Klein copy, behringer vintage tubemonster, palmer and the ensoniq dp/2, into a mixing console and out to the mixers speakers( two differetn cabinets with a 12" and a 15").The sound was powerful and clear, with more sonic spread than using a normal amp.I perfer the map myself, but some of the presets i've made have very complicated sonic nuances and so the pa is better.Also, since i want to play for pictures and paintings exibitions-anbd hopefully for teather and , in the future some short vids-i wanted to experience playng through a different setup thna normal guitar and amp.In the future i'll buy some powered speakers just for that.Palmer sis still doing great so far.

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nice! It's good when you have a setup you're happy with. I'm looking forward to playing my full rig through our PA soon.
ankh

Post by ankh »

well,would love to use the 1967 Fender bassman i own, but it is a bit heavy........and in my country and city, to use smaller equipment is benefit, especially if you don't play usual venues or clubs.Having said that, a friend on mine is used to play with three guitars, 20 pedals, three mutlieffects and one Hiwatt on one side and a JMI( a handwired version of the Vox ac30, made by the original engineeer)heads and 2x12 cabs for each head............

last year i played in a sinagogue-sorry VV- and i did have to use two amps,a class A fender Champ 12 and a 1970 Farfisa valve amp equipped with a 12" jensen,plus the ensoniq and the magicstomp, the sound was great.On the vids i do for youtube, i go direct.

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

oh boy, i just played my old Guild Thunder amp. That is one of the most underrated things ever. If I ever learn to play well (time is running out) I may get the courage to post online. Sometimes I can do it and sometimes I feel like I am going to faint or low on blood sugar.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

ankh wrote: last year i played in a sinagogue-sorry VV- ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
ankh

Post by ankh »

Genebaby, did you test the dragster? Opinions about it?

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

ankh

Post by ankh »

btw, the last viddeo i've uploaded was created using the VG8 by Roland a great device that now is on sale for cheap and, once tweaked is capabel of creating great sounds, esepcially in the alternate tunings, 12 strings, all the way to wacky stuff.

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I am digging the box. Using it at home for practice and at rehearsal so far. The big test will be when we do a full band rehearsal and I crank it up nice!!! Can't wait to do that actually.