Red guitars!!!

Talk about your equipment
Genebaby
Site Admin

Red guitars!!!

Post by Genebaby »

Forget blue guitars,this is a colour dear to my heart, especially with flames!!!!

It started many years ago when Jackson were offering a Ghost Flames finish on their US line and you could get green, blue, black and my favourite, RED!!!

It looked like this:

Then I saw THIS guitar and was intrigued by and fell in love with it's different style of Red Ghost Flames. I did some research and found they called this Advanced Red Ghost Flames.

This was in the early, early 2000's, and so it was that when I saw Megadeth play in Sydney on August 4 2001 I had this Jackson in the boot. I used the trip to pick it up after buying it shortly before.

When I was talking to the guy he said it had flames, but they were hard to see and now I know what he meant! It's an '87 Soloist, so made in Ontario and it has Invisible Ghost Flames inscribed in the trem cavity, along with NAMM, so I think this guitar was at NAMM in '87. Either way, someone decided to make some totally custom flames for it. Look closely, they're there!!!

Along the way I acquired this Charvel, not because it was red per se, but because it was very Strat like and had a Strat headstock, a rarity in the Charvel world, but something they were doing in the early 90's for markets outside the USA, which got a nasty, beak like, headstock on the same guitar.

It's still stock and needs better pickups and a setup, I haven't really used it or done anything with it. I tracked down a nice case for it and that makes me happy enough.

By now I had also had my custom Charvel strat from hell made locally by someone who has become a great friend. What colour did I choose? Red of course, but with a black burst. Tiger striped flame maple cap over a one piece mahogany body. My main player since it was finished until recently when my bands switched to Eflat tuning, so I bought new guitars to setup for that as all my others are in standard.

A matching Jackson Star is being built with the same wood combo for the body, but with a set-neck configuration and without the blackburst. One day I may have the blackburst on the strat removed as I really liked it when it was just red tiger striped but I continued with the blackburst as I had decided on it already. Here's what it looked like:

By now my hankering for a custom creation with a graphic was getting pretty intense and using a guitar generator available on the JCF at the time I made this up:

That was my concept for my ultimate ghost flame guitar. It eventually became this:

At some point I will probably get a neck pickup installed on this. One day......... :wink:

Now, after getting many oohs and ahhs about this beast at the JCF I was contacted by someone who worked for Jackson and I supplied some pics as I thought he just really liked it.

Later on Jackson announced a special, limited run guitar that looked like this:

You could have bowled me over with an Ibanez!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This was basically my guitar with black hardware. It was an Import model made in Japan. I could not believe it.

Funny thing was though that when they all arrived after actually being built they looked like this:

I laughed and laughed. They had more of an invisible flame paint job, NOTHING like the picture at all!!!!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Re: Red guitars!!!

Post by poserboy71 »

I wish I owned a CHERRY RED guitar. BEAUTIFUL !!!!
A few buddies own guitars exactly like this. Simple and awesome !!!!

I have a Model one in BLACK.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Fuck me PW !!!! That is a beauty. That's the kinda sugar Papa likes .

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Red guitars!!!

Post by Genebaby »

Good colour! Are those collectors items now?
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I hope not BECAUSE I STILL WANT ONE. Wish in one hand...

NEWBEGINNINGS
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

poserboy71 wrote:Fuck me PW !!!! That is a beauty. That's the kinda sugar Papa likes .
and when you do it, it drives me crazy

(drives me crazy)

:mrgreen:
n3p

Post by n3p »

Nice Vic! Love your Jackson concept! (not so much their limited run though ;) )

The tiger striped one looks sweet! Reminds me of a beauty my local luthier made for a customer:

Truth be told, I'm not usually a fan of red guitars (bit like Poserboy with blue) but there are exceptions to the rule. Only got a red SG (will try and dig up some pics later, it's at a friends house) which I got in a trade. Although there are guitars which I'd be happy with in any colour. Find me a Peavey Vandenberg in snot green and I'd still buy it!

Nick
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Genebaby
Site Admin

Red guitars!!!

Post by Genebaby »

That's a nice red top on that guitar alright Nick! Love it!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

how about bloodwood ? Image
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Red guitars!!!

Post by Genebaby »

The blood wood guitar is nice! I like it!
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

nice guitar but damn, blood wood sounds painful.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

It's naturally red. Ed Roman said it sounds bad but a friend of mine said its like ash but with a little more detail.
Bye Bye
metatron

Post by metatron »

Always dug these guitars....I know, I know, technically it's Magenta, not red. The PAGE HAMILTON MG & the PH-600 MG. Remindes me of the Charvel 750xl

Neck-Thru-Body Construction
25.5” Scale
Alder Body
Maple Neck
Ebony Fingerboard
42mm Locking Nut
Thin U Neck Contour
24 XJ Frets
Black Nickel Hardware
Gotoh Tuners
Floyd Rose Original Bridge
Dimarzio Air Zone p.u.
Finish: Distressed Magenta

[youtube][/youtube]
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
metatron

Post by metatron »

:?: :?: :?: :?:
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Genebaby wrote:Forget blue guitars,this is a colour dear to my heart, especially with flames!!!!
So you like Red Guitars & flames, eh?....Here you go Vic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

metatron

Post by metatron »

http://www.robbincrosby.net/guitars/bigred.htm wrote: JCF 02 - Robbin Crosby's "Big Red'

Background:

The Jackson/Charvel Forum ("the JCF" for short) has a Limited Collector's Series for their members. In a nutshell, it's a series that is meant to pay tribute to the historic guitars and players of Jackson/Charvel guitars.

Not many know that the Jackson King V was named after Robbin; most people associate the guitar with Dave Mustaine, and that was a small thorn in King's side. In a move to "right the wrongs," and to remind the world who put the "King" in the Jackson "King V," the JCF Administration chose "Big Red" as the model to have made for the second installment of their series. It made perfect sense to choose Big Red, as it is certainly one of the first guitars that come to mind when you think of him.

As part of the JCF Administration (past and present), we had asked Robbin if he was interested in participating in the project. Of the 30 guitars that was to be made, Robbin was to receive one of the guitars as a gift, and his was to have its own serial number of RKC - 00. Robbin's original reaction when he was asked to participate in the series was pure King; he quickly said "Fuck Jackson! I'm sick of selling guitars for them!" When he learned that these guitars would be pre-sold and bought by some of his biggest fans, he had a total change of heart.

I can say with no doubt in my mind that Robbin was touched by the idea of the project; he was amazed and moved that people not only still cared about him, but so much so that a limited series based on one of his beloved guitars was to be made. He was proud of this tribute, and the only thing that he asked in return was to have a letter drafted and sent to his parents, letting them know about the series.

Curt and Robbin drafted the letter, and armed with a silver paint pen, Robbin signed the plates that would cover the tremolo cavity. The plates have a brushed metal texture, and Robbin preferred signing the back of the plates,

because of their smooth surface. I know that he jokingly gave Curt a hard time about how he'd rather sign the backs of the plates. Robbin's signature was also to be on the face of the headstock as well.

I can recall many phone calls with Robbin during our friendship, and he'd often ask if they started on the construction of the guitar yet. This was something he really cared about. No matter how he was feeling, he'd always perk up and start talking about Big Red; things like how he wound the original pickups at Seymour Duncan's factory, and how he changed the Floyd Rose Tremolo from black to chrome because he thought the chrome one sounded better.

Sadly, King slipped away before the construction of the guitars would begin, and the series was cancelled during Jackson's buyout by Fender Musical Instruments Corporation in October of 2002. Thankfully, the project was resurrected a year later, and at the time of this writing (Sept. 2004), the 30 guitars are 95% completed, and will soon be shipped.

[youtube][/youtube]
ankh

Post by ankh »

red hot........

for Dino:

not really a guitar, but.............

“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I used to love the king v. Not as much anymore.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I remember JCF02 being talked about and finally built, before Robin passed away. The series ended after that one, too much to decide which guitar to do among other things.