Carvin Ultra V

Talk about your equipment
metatron

Carvin Ultra V

Post by metatron »

Man. I've always liked this guitar. There is one on e-bay right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123
Been talking to the seller & he has estimated the postage to be between $700 & $800 (FUCK!)
Does anyone know the Deal with Carvin's Custom Shop.
The guy in this videos below seems to have a new Ultra V with the block inlays like Vinnie's.
Anyone here have any info? I just sent him a message on his youtube page.
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Got Carvin's e-mail export@carvin.com & Will e-mail them when I get home.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
doublev2

Re: Carvin Ultra V

Post by doublev2 »

yeah they will make a block inlay ultra v '88 style. you can get reverse headstock like vv's too. they are cheap. easier to order if you live in the states. if the website blocks you use something like hidemyass to get in.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i think the standard ultra v and all carvins in the late 80s were made of Poplar. Thats not everyones favourite. I always wondered if VV had them do his in maple. They have a better selection of wood these days.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Uncle Kev is in the VVFF"s Southern California chapter. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i always think of the nice places Kev is driving around in Southern Cal.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

doublev2 wrote:i always think of the nice places Kev is driving around in Southern Cal.
Sunset Bve and Rodeo Dr???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
metatron

Post by metatron »

shramiac wrote:
doublev2 wrote:i always think of the nice places Kev is driving around in Southern Cal.
Sunset Bve and Rodeo Dr???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yer & Kevin is listening to
[youtube][/youtube]
, but the Steel Panther version while he is driving around in his
Image :D
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
TJMonster

Carvin Ultra V

Post by TJMonster »

Carvin guitars need poplar to sound good. they are uber bright and tinny. I own one and have known 4 others and we all have had the same problem. Poplar softens the high end but it's still a lot.
If you want to talk Guitars, PM me!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I'm not a big Carvin Fan these days but they are ok. There closest store to me is in Santa Ana to the West of where I live. You know living here is really a mixed bag. This year we are having a drought which means water rationing can be right around the corner which SUCKS! Today was 50 degrees cloudy and windy but no rain. In two days we are expected to have a Santa Ana Wind Event with 60 MPH Winds and 85 degree temperatures. Monday 2 days ago was a storm from the North with snow down to 2000 feet. (609 meters) At its best where we live the Mountains are less than an hour away, the Pacific Ocean is less than an hour away and for those that like it the desert is less than an hour away. Declared unemployment is around 15% but actual unemployment is over 20% right now. I got 91 octane gas in the Corvette on Monday and paid $4.52 per gallon. Housing prices are down 60% from 2007 which is great if you want to buy and terrible if you want to sell. I'm looking forward to the elections in November so that we can show Barack Hussien Obama the door. I'm working but earning 40% less income than I did in 2008 and 2009. The are over 25 million people living in Southern California so getting around can be difficult sometimes with the incredible traffic. There are some great people who live here, lots to do, great entertainment and where I live about 9 months per year of great weather.

So where am I going with this?
What is life like in your worlds these days?
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Our 91 unleaded is around $5.50 a US gallon and has been there for about a year now! And that's with our dollar buying $US1.08 at the moment!

Diesel is at about $5.70 a US gallon! I buy approx 25,000 litres (6,600 US gallons) a month of diesel!!!!

Business is steady so can't complain. This is our quieter time but still have to pay our 11 employees!

P.S. Vdog, I have 2 secretaries!!!!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
n3p

Post by n3p »

Don't get me started on the UK! Unleaded is around $8.15/US Gallon, the weather is mostly miserable and unemployment is rather high. Oh well :lol: Work wise I'm ok though, I work in oil & gas so demand will always be high.

Back on topic, the Carvin looks rather tasty!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
metatron

Post by metatron »

shramiac wrote:
P.S. Vdog, I have 2 secretaries!!!!
Do they both take good Dictation? 2 secretaries you say. shramiac, if their is any conversation you don't need to be involved 8)
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

they are upping gas prices because cars are becoming more efficient. when they get 100mpg we will be paying like 3 times we are now.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

The thing is in Oz, we have to travel long distances to get between places! We send 3 trucks a day on an 800 km (500 mile) round trip every week day.

But yes, back to the Carvin!!!! Interesting what TJ said about them being a bright guitar. Some of them have beautiful maple tops. The Carvin page has a nice vid of a CNC (that TJ would kill for, sorry man!) cutting out a body.
TJMonster

Carvin Ultra V

Post by TJMonster »

Even the guitars that don't have maple tops have a strange really high frequency.
Gas, compared to gold, oils price hasn't changed barely at all if at all. Best way to take over a country is put them on a fiat currency. They will collapse eventually.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Carvin Ultra V

Post by Genebaby »

Is it the Carvin pickups that are doing this TJ? I am guessing you've swapped yours out?
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

tj, the carvin on vv's reh video sounds a little hight to me too. I doubt VV's is poplar but on those VV it seems like the neck wood would be the biggest tone influence ???
I would get a walnut neck and maple body from Carvin. Walnut is very very warm .

I was listening to Becker play his Carvin in Japan and I didn't notice it to be very high frequency but I will listen again.
Bye Bye
metatron

Post by metatron »

Found this on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-Ultra-V- ... 4164082550

Has anyone ever seen this? Kahler locking bridge (no whammy bar option). What's the point. It looks like a normal Kahler tremolo, but with no hole for the bar (hole...bar...) & it says locking. Weird.

shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Mustaine's later Jackson Vees had these on them. Maybe Friedman's Jackson Kelly's had them too. I'd rather one of these on a non trem guitar rather than a LP style bridge or a string through the body bridge. Mustaine used to call trems "cheat bars"???? He now has a couple of Floyded guitars he occasionally uses. :lol:
Although they both didn't use the locknut, I can see being able to bend the strings wildly and staying in tune with the locknut.

Floyd Rose should make a hardtail. No crappy string balls to deal with. You know, for us tight wads that re-use strings when they break on our Floyds!!!! :oops: :lol:
TJMonster

Carvin Ultra V

Post by TJMonster »

I've seen them. Really want one. They were under $100 last time I looked. Which was like 6 years ago.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

metatron wrote:Found this on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-Ultra-V- ... 4164082550

Has anyone ever seen this? Kahler locking bridge (no whammy bar option). What's the point. It looks like a normal Kahler tremolo, but with no hole for the bar (hole...bar...) & it says locking. Weird.

Dannii,
I have one on a Custom Made Jackson Soloist Telecaster that I have. It is sweet and that guitar is Ultra Stable in its tuning. I knew little about this bridge at 1st but our friend Vic shared some information on it and I have since read more up on them.

http://www.kahlerusa.com/scripts/prodLi ... ategory=31

Kev
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Good bridge. I used to be a kahler spyder guy as I was used to it. Very big but worked like a dream .
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Carvin Ultra V

Post by Genebaby »

Those bridges were on all of Dave's Jacksons. They don't have the hole for the spring mechanism underneath so just sit flat on top of the body.

They are very configurable as far as setting up string height and spacing is concerned.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I had the PDF of Mustaine's Jacksons when he sold them all but I can't find it!!!! I'll keep looking!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Here we go! (need power point viewer) Click first red link.

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla ... emID=32391

You can see the non trem Kahler on his 90's King Vee (the 1st silver one) and also on his original black one (the second silver one)! I'll admit I'm surprised to see it on his original Jackson. I assumed it just had a regular Kahler on it.
metatron

Post by metatron »

doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

love it. Next the upside down vv model.
Bye Bye
metatron

Post by metatron »

Hey does anyone live near
Paragon Music
2119 W. Hillsborough Ave
Tampa, Florida 33603

If you do, & your in the neighborhood, go in & say hi to
Wade Hayes for me.

Post by 1031 »

I have a Carvin Ct4 being built, should be here at the end of Sept. I will do a full unbiased review I am not a fan boy of any builder but was very impressed by the one I had in the shop. They have a 10 day no questions asked return policy so it was worth the gambit. The one that was in the shop didn't seem to have weird high frequency's
pickups sounded different but in a good way more of a even tone. Neil Zaza uses the pickups that will come with mine in a Ct6 the Ct4 is the same just no flame or quilt top just maple. His has no tone knob but a load on the volume to simulate the load of a tone pot off.

[youtube][/youtube]
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Neil is a NorthEast Ohio boy. I've seen him quite a few times. You can see that he has some chops but he never put it together to my liking. He has ALWAYS been an extremely nice guy and easy to talk with.

He used to have really cool Hamer guitars with Marvel Super Hero graphics.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
metatron

Post by metatron »

Yer, maybe next year, I'll order a Carvin Ultra V. Always like them....see how the funds situation is in 2013.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Get an ultra v with a bigsby in brown. Heeeeee he.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Eewwww Dino, just eewwww!!!!! :)
metatron

Post by metatron »

doublev2 wrote:Get an ultra v with a bigsby in brown. Heeeeee he.
Genebaby wrote:Eewwww Dino, just eewwww!!!!! :)
NO!, NO & NO! Dino, Naughty! :D .
Dude, that's like putting wood-grain paneling on a Lamborghini & then getting it to tow a box trailer.
I'm sure there is a purpose for the station wagon with the wood-grain paneling (no quite sure what?), but certain horses for certain courses. (Please don't tell me you want to put woodgrain panels the Lambo)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i love wood sided cars. Good idea with the Lamborghini.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i love the INTERNATIONAL SCOUT Image
Bye Bye