no truss rod

Talk about your equipment
doublev2

no truss rod

Post by doublev2 »

Now thats what I call a guitar.. no truss rod. Bring on the Broadcaster!!

http://www.themusiczoo.com/custom/Fende ... r_Info.php

Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: no truss rod

Post by Genebaby »

Ok, that's crazy. Not what I was thinking.

The Danelctro necks used on Randy's Polka Dot V didn't have a truss rod, but I don't think it was made like these ones.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Steal reinforced.
I can not believe fender make new strats with no rod. Good on fender
Bye Bye
syncophile42

Post by syncophile42 »

Talking truss rods, a few years ago I was having setup problems with my Charvel Model 2 so I had it professionally set up. When we had it right the guy said there was no tension at all on the truss rod, like it didn’t have one! I was a bit bemused by this so he showed me how to check it and adjust it properly; I checked it a lot at first but rarely now, it has never needed adjusting since, solid as a rock.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

cool.

Vic. Danelectro neck on Randy's polkadot? Can you tell me the story. Was it a 60s neck? Sounds interesting. I think you get a better sound on a semi acoustic without a truss rod but who much better when your neck is twisted I don't know. lol
Every Teisco I ever saw without a truss rod had a straight neck. The steel in there is good.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I believe he broke the headstock off of the polka dot guitar and it was repaired as well. 8) 8) 8)
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

he liked Danelectro necks??
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I guess Sandoval had one in the shop???
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS

Post by 1031 »

There is a reason truss rods were put in 60 years ago.. and who ever buys one of those will figure that out in a few years

The old luthiers used to use wider tangs on frets to adjust more back bow on guitars with no truss rod.. crazy man could you imaging all the work just to get more back bow...
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Danalectro necks was what Sandoval was using. Randy played one of his guitars that Lynch had and liked the neck so requested the same when he commissioned his V.

He did break the headstock off and had it repaired.

Randy picked up that V after paying it off on my 6th birthday!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

so where the danelectro necks from the 60s?
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I don't know that part of it, just that they were the necks used and they were without truss rods.

I found it weird he wasn't using his own necks, and weirder he was using those without the truss rod.
ankh

Post by ankh »

i've one old japanese guitar that has no trussrod, but the neck is so thick that it doesn't need one, it seems:

Some old guitars also had neck made of different vertical layers of wood, and this did prevent neck twist.

However, i must add that i've seen even a warwick bass neck(the one with with two trussrods) bent to the point that it wasn't possible to recover it.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Wood can twist and nothing can fix it sometimes.

Alternating layers will help keep it true but I will always rather have one.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

ankh wrote:i've one old japanese guitar that has no trussrod, but the neck is so thick that it doesn't need one, it seems:

Some old guitars also had neck made of different vertical layers of wood, and this did prevent neck twist.

However, i must add that i've seen even a warwick bass neck(the one with with two trussrods) bent to the point that it wasn't possible to recover it.
That's a "Dino guitar" if I've ever seen one!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Too much pearl for me. My meazzi has no truss rod. Is from 66 and the neck is thin and light and its straight . No idea why. I am affraid to string it with anything heavier than 12s though.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, is there a particluar gauge a neck with no truss rod is meant to be strung with?

Cause normally when you change gauges you adjust the rod. Or do these rodless necks offer so much strength they don't move regardless of the string tension?
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

the new fender is very strong . the 60s ones have steal frames (or most). I dont think they move easily.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i just spoke to my friend whi is a danelectro expert and he said those polk a dot necks do have a truss rod. you adjust it from the end of the neck not on the headstock.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i trust him but it maybe wrong
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ok, here's the scoop:
Contrary to popular belief, these necks did have truss rods. As Sandoval describes them, “It’s two I-beam, non-adjustable truss rods glued into the neck before the fretboard is glued on. If you look at the end of these necks, you’ll see two slots. That’s where these on-edge I-beam truss rods are. It’s like an inch-thick steel that will not bend. And it makes a maple neck very heavy. I think that’s what contributed to the sound of Randy’s guitar. There’s a lot of metal there."
They had non adjustable steel beams, so as far as we're concerned there is no truss rod you can adjust the action with, but there is reinforcement to give strength.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

ok. but some danelectro you can adjust at the base too, but maybe not the randy ones. thanks vic.
Bye Bye