My guitars

Talk about your equipment
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Bare knuckles have a good reputation. My luthier uses them a lot, but I haven't put any on my guitars...
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

This is the guitar I saw that made me want to get the GMW in the same finish:

This is a mock-up I made of the guitar how I wanted it to look:

That guitar when I saw it had the coolest Red Ghost Flame paint job I had ever seen. Different to the normal one. When I asked about it they told me it was the Advanced Ghost flames graphic. Dan Lawrence painted it of course!! Yeah!....pity the rest of the guitar wasn't as hot as the graphic...
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

This is a mock-up of how the Star I have commissioned will look:

It started out with a strat headstock and dots but I changed it to Jackson and sharkfins!!! It is set neck, and the maple cap will have natural body binding like my Strat with the same kind of top, except no blackburst this time, just red.

After I designed it ages ago I saw one of Gus G's guitars at a NAMM show on display and was like, wow, that's just about like my guitar!!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

That's Akira and Gus G's ESP shape! The modified Explorer shape. Still, the grain and binding set it off nice. My Ibi Destroyer is an uncomfortable guitar to play. Super strats for me!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Amen to SUPER STRATS!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

shramiac wrote:That's Akira and Gus G's ESP shape! The modified Explorer shape. Still, the grain and binding set it off nice. My Ibi Destroyer is an uncomfortable guitar to play. Super strats for me!
Buzz...fail!!!!

That's a Charvel Star shape, stolen like a lot of designs, by ESP.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Superstrats do indeed rule but I am hoping I'll be comfortable with this and it will have excellent top fret access for my tragic noodling in that area.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Vic,

'Tragic Noodling' should be the name of your CD/ instructional DVD. :D

Rick -PB71-
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Genebaby wrote:
shramiac wrote:That's Akira and Gus G's ESP shape! The modified Explorer shape. Still, the grain and binding set it off nice. My Ibi Destroyer is an uncomfortable guitar to play. Super strats for me!
Buzz...fail!!!!

Sorry GB, I don't know much about Hacksons! Ha ha. Just fooling. But yeah probably "stolen" by ESP like all designs are/have/will be..........hmmmm can ESP be sued for copying that shape? Hmmm can TJ be sued? Just a thought!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

poserboy71 wrote:Vic,

'Tragic Noodling' should be the name of your CD/ instructional DVD. :D

Rick -PB71-
IF I ever do one, I will consider calling it that, ha ha....
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

shramiac wrote:
Genebaby wrote:
Buzz...fail!!!!

Sorry GB, I don't know much about Hacksons! Ha ha. Just fooling. But yeah probably "stolen" by ESP like all designs are/have/will be..........hmmmm can ESP be sued for copying that shape? Hmmm can TJ be sued? Just a thought!
No worries, lol, here comes another history lesson!

This is the "First" Star guitar....

Eddie did this and ruined a good Destroyer. He took it to Charvel who made this design from it and called it a Star.

I of course want 24 frets, set neck and a Jackson headstock.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Eddie always said he ruined the tone of that guitar by chopping it up. Can see why Ibanez ran into trouble with Gibson with their Explorer and LP copies! I don't think Gibson really won anything though? The LP are all bolt-ons as far as I know but the Destroyers were glued in judging by the Van Halen clips. Ace used Ibanez Detroyers in the 70's when Paul was using the Iceman. I've got a metallic red Destoyer II from 82'. Same as Adrian Smith's. Was beat up as all hell when I got it in 95'. Cost me $200 with a stinky hardcase! Scalloped the whole neck and put a PAF Pro in it as the Ibi pickup squealed ALL THE TIME! Very big sounding guitar.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I think Stars are pretty cool to play. One day when mine is done I'll find out.

I bought a case for this Star when I ordered my GMW, so the case arrived in 2004 and has been waiting ever since. I ordered the case because I knew the Star was going to happen, so got the case ready.

I'm a sucker for a form fit matching case. I would love to get a G&G style vinyl/wood case for my Monster VVV.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Now that's a new one which is super vintage Charvel style. I'll stick with mine for 24 frets and a Floyd.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I would need the strat headstock with the STAR.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Sandimas

Post by Sandimas »

Here's my favourite Jackson. It's currently perfect as far as sound and playability are concerned, when I gig it I feel totally connected to it, like it's an extra pair of hands in itself!

Built in 1987, most all Jacksons were still custom order at that point, the reverse headstock idea was something the guy in the Jackson dealer store and myself thought we'd invented for ourselves, and he got a shock when the costs came back $500 more than he thought because of that. He waived it on the final cost though, so he must have had enough of a markup to swallow it.

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

poserboy71 wrote:I would need the strat headstock with the STAR.
The first design I made for the Star had the Bengal Tiger finish, all maple neck with Strat headstock.

I decided to change from an 80's look to more modern and the Jackson headstock seemed to flow better.

I was using a program from the Jackson board to make the prototypes, was fun.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Sandimas wrote:Here's my favourite Jackson. It's currently perfect as far as sound and playability are concerned, when I gig it I feel totally connected to it, like it's an extra pair of hands in itself!

Built in 1987, most all Jacksons were still custom order at that point, the reverse headstock idea was something the guy in the Jackson dealer store and myself thought we'd invented for ourselves, and he got a shock when the costs came back $500 more than he thought because of that. He waived it on the final cost though, so he must have had enough of a markup to swallow it.

Awesome Soloist!! In '87 they were all indeed custom ordered only. Is it Ferarri Red?

My Soloist is an '87 in Ferarri Red w/ Transparent Ghost Flames and standard headstock.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I can totally see that the lines of the guitars shape would flow better with the pointy headstock. Actually ,I believe the first STAR that I remember seeing was EVH's black and white STAR(Fair Warning tour ?) with the three-to-a -side E.S.P. headstock. ''Think'' Akira Takasaki's original red STAR.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Sandimas

Post by Sandimas »

Genebaby wrote:
Awesome Soloist!! In '87 they were all indeed custom ordered only. Is it Ferarri Red?

My Soloist is an '87 in Ferarri Red w/ Transparent Ghost Flames and standard headstock.
Yes, Ferrari Red indeed! It's a shade lighter than my Rhoads.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

poserboy71 wrote:I can totally see that the lines of the guitars shape would flow better with the pointy headstock. Actually ,I believe the first STAR that I remember seeing was EVH's black and white STAR(Fair Warning tour ?) with the three-to-a -side E.S.P. headstock. ''Think'' Akira Takasaki's original red STAR.
Yeah, that's a strange guitar of Eddie's. Cool graphics on it though.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Sandimas wrote:
Genebaby wrote:

Yes, Ferrari Red indeed! It's a shade lighter than my Rhoads.
Nice. Looks to be in great shape. I bought mine as a well used beast from a guy in Sydney. The Transparent Ghost Flames are truly hard to see, that's how transparent they are. Mine also has something about NAMM written in the trem cavity but I've never been able to find out what guitars they had at '87 or'88 NAMM.

Did you spec the 5 way switch as well? Three toggles was more the usual back then.

What does the other mini toggle do? Boost swtich? Are the pickups original?
Sandimas

Post by Sandimas »

The 3 mini toggles are a pain to work with, and I preferred a 5 way strat blade. The min toggle cuts out half the bridge 'bucker,and the working coil plus middle pickup are in hum cancel mode when I select them together. I replaced all 3 pickups, neck and middle are Duncan quarter pounders, bridge was a JB on the pic but is now a Guitarforce Erupter (EVH clone, 9K ohms, nit too powerful but great full yet clear tone.This is the axe I'd be buried with. It was a huge deal at the time I ordered it, the wait was almost unbearable, and I'd been after a Jackson for almost 5 years after seeing VV on lick it up tour 83. They only became available in UK in 1986 or 7, and we couldn't get a Floyd at first, just either a Kahler or a Vintage trem (so my dealer would then fit the floyd, however I didn't trust their tech - he made an arse of my Destroyer fitting a strat trem!)

As soon as the JT 6 bridge came out I ordered it, and replaced it with a real Floyd, including surgery to fit a Ahmed for thenut.
Sandimas

Post by Sandimas »

Damn iPhone, ahmed had nothing to do with it that should have read a shelf fir the floyd nut. I do all my own repairs, guitars and amps. I use what I'd assume is the oldest gigging Marshallamp in existence, even older than the one Marshalls Ken Bran was trying to sell a couple of months ago.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Holy Crap! How old is that Marshall of yours? I bought a TSL100 in 99 which I don't often use as in my covers band I go through the PA and use a POD XTL, which does the job fine.

I am doing a Kiss covers band on the side and will pull out the Marshall for that, which will be cool.

I like the mini toggles, or just toggles in general as I don't use any of the sounds you get with a blade.

Good job on the Floyd conversion, including the shelf for the nut, that's really cool. My Jacksons that had JT6's got the same treatment, but I didn't do the work.
Sandimas

Post by Sandimas »

The old Marshall is from about 1963/4 - here it is in action. Backup amp is a 1966 JTM45/100. Both amps have Mullard preamp/GEC KT66 power tubes, and have incredible tone, right out the box. Every few gigs, I leave the pedalboard at home and just plug straight in.

poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

No need for that bottle of spray lube next to the speaker cab. I'm already wet !!! DAMN THAT'S PURTY ! :D

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Here's my scabby collection!

Only play the left side Jem and the Destroyer a little bit if I want to play along with a CD and the tunings a little out! Which is hardly ever now! Haven't played the Washburn in years and the other Jem's frets are gone and I couldn't be bothered to get them done. AND I don't trust anyone up where I live to do a good job either! Especially as I want stainless frets put in so I never have to get it done again! And yes, THE MAN himself signed my photo.

You can just make out my Boss GT5 on the top. Great unit. I've also got an ADA MP1 pre-amp, a rochtron hush and an ART Mutiverb Alpha in a small rack that I haven't used in 10 years!

Here's my 1/2 stack in it's "Animalize" stage!

That's my Washburn with a mates cheapo strat neck that I did a scallop on as an experiment! And it worked perfectly too I might add. I used a die grinder with a barrel sanding pad and just controlled the speed so I didn't burn the timber. The neck itself was well made but had the worst tuning pegs. Sadly, I couldn't get it to intonate on my body. :cry:
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Hot damn Shram !!! Those Jems are SWEET !!!

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Animalize stage? Looks more like Asylum to me!.... :D

Those Jems are out there. My fave Jem is a white one with gold hardware I saw once.

Seeing as you're not using one just send it to me, I'll look after it... :wink:
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Thanks PB but you would say that now! The photos are from 95' and the left Jem's paint has cracked and "spyder webbed" :wink: from too much sunlight I think and sweat I suppose. The right one has the usual RG neck joint crack but that wasn't from normal use like everyone else's.......it was from me smashing it on my bed when I couldn't play the unison part out of D/Theater's 6.00 more than 2 times in a row!! Bad temper with inanimate objects is a trait of mine! :evil: They both still play perfectly though, apart from the fret wear. The first one I bought new from Pro Audio in Canberra when Frank Gamble's family still owed it. I ordered it on Dec 89' and it arrived in August 90'! It's just had it's 20th Bday!!! It missed the April ship from Japan hence the long wait! Yes, ship freight not modern airplane freight! And the 2nd one on the right I was lucky to pick up at an auction for $750 and it was only a year old! It still had the plastic on the scratch plate. :D . Would have been cheaper if some stupid woman had've shut up and not kept bidding till I told her what a new one was worth! One looks better & the other sounds better! They both sound kinda thin though which could be said the same of Vai too.

GB, Animalize because the pattern is the same as the white tiger fur on the cover of the album. But the colour scheme does lend itself to the Asylum era. AND NO GB! You own enough now. GB's got a serious GAS problem! :D
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ha ha, I still want more guitars, just don't want to pay for them!!!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Amen to more guitars without the expense
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Maybe Vinnie could hook us up for being such longtime fans..... :wink: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Vic we are going to have a long wait for that one aren't we :lol:
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I have lots of time!!!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I gotta say, that Roman VVV that Kev's got as his avatar is one that ole Edbaby got right! And the Jamie Presley look-a-like model ain't half bad either. What a sexist pig I am!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

mmmmmhh Jamie Presley! :)
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Two thumbs up. WAY UP ! Stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum . :D

NEWBEGINNINGS