Amps please - Don't let the guitars get all the glory!

Talk about your equipment
Sandimas

Amps please - Don't let the guitars get all the glory!

Post by Sandimas »

I already posted my Marshall JTM45/100 on the Les Paul thread, and here's my joint favourite, one of the first few production Marshalls from 1963 (contrary to what Marshall claim, they didn't start making amps until late in 1963). Chassis and guts are all period correct albeit I had to rebuild it as the original transformers were missing, and the box is not original, but that means I only spent about £500 on the whole thing, and I can happily gig it. It's probably the oldest gigging Marshall in existence!

doublev

Re: Amps please - Don't let the guitars get all the glory!

Post by doublev »

Great Marshall.
For 60s I like the guild Thunderbird amp , its a bass amp but I use it for 6 sting. I think they are so good and chesp to pick up.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Righteous !!!
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I have a Triple Super Lead 100 which bought in '99 as my main gigging amp, when I use an amp. Otherwise I play a Pod XT Live into the PA.

I would like to get a new JVM but there's no need other than I want it.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
TXjason

Post by TXjason »

I have owned this bogner shiva for about 7 years, which is the longest I have ever owned any amp. I used to go through amps every few years looking for "the sound." I think I'll keep this one forever.

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Jason, nice setup there buddy, amp and guitar. I see your pedal board too.
DarrenD

Post by DarrenD »

Wow that Marshall is incredible - great condition too. Did you have to replace anything over the years?
doublev

Post by doublev »

Is that Marshall based on the fender Bassman?
Shred4hire

Post by Shred4hire »

i own a bolt bt 100, and a fender blues deluxe , we carry bogners at the music store i work at i tested out the bolt there too . most versitle monster amp i ever heard... love the bogners , but the bolt was cheaper and VERY im presssive the features are second to none take a peek on you tube or there site bolt amps.com
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I don't think we have those in Australia, but look very cool.

Bogner are awesome.

I just remembered, I dropped my amp taking it out of the car when I got home!!!! AAHHH!!!! I will have to check it tomorrow.
Shred4hire

Post by Shred4hire »

bolts new its usa made company , ask your dealer bout it they would probablly try to get it in SMOKING sound
doublev

Post by doublev »

my friends at Cornford Amps would do a VV model if he were interested, but they can be a little hard to deal with.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

"They" can be a little hard to deal with? Sounds like a match made in heaven.....lol......
quentin

Post by quentin »

http://www.cameronamplifiers.com/

I don't have this amp yet, but I've been waiting forever to get one. I'm talking with Cameron amps about doing a custom mod on this one. Mark Cameron does the best high gain pissed off Marshall tones.He inherited the schematics that belong to Jose Arrendondo. He has the schematics for Evh's original brownsound mod, as well as Mick Mars, and many, many others. People don't understand why I'm, so into the 80's tone. I just think those were some of the best tones ever recorded. I've been tracking down nos tubes, and plan to stock up on nos teslas, sovteks, ei, mullards, and sylvanias! "I don't do drugs, I don't hurt people... this is my thing!" lol :P I've got pics somewhere of a vintage fender bassman I used to have. As much mojo as those amps have I never like it for me. I currently have one crate combo thats stood the test of time, and I plan to play it until it dies! I've never crossed another solidstate combo that sounded as good as this one. I track demos with it still. I'll be in line soon for the ccv I hope, they were working on finishing the last few orders, then taking more order. I'm also getting a front loaded cab w/ Scumback speakers so the aggression will ooze out of the amp. Once I get out of the hole for this one I'm getting Frank Levi to mod a Purple Plexi. This one will have a smidge less gain than the ccv. The mod I want is based off a plexi Warren Demartini used that was given to Doug Aldrich that he used with Lion. I'm using some "secret" boxes to boost the amp. Some 80's boxes that are overlooked but still sound better than all the expensive boutique crap.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I have two 100 watt Silver Jubillee Marshall half stacks. I have other amps as well but don't need them.

Jubes Rule !!!

NEWBEGINNINGS
n3p

Post by n3p »

New amp day! Was after a bedroom/practise amp that was better than my crappy processed sounding line6 combo. Here she is! all £169 of her :lol:

Blackstar HT-1RH 1Watt Valve head :lol: It's actually really awesome! Haven't bothered recording anything yet, but here are some youtube links of the head/combo versions:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Wow, that amp sounds very nice!
ankh

Post by ankh »

no pics as yet,but here's the list:

Class A amps:
1986 Fender champ 12(6l6,12" speaker))
70's elka tx 6 head( with el84,great clean amp, lots of headroom,it has vibrato)
60's ariston combo(el84,8",alnico speaker)
70's super MB(el84,6" alnico speaker)
50's silvertone amp converted by my great tech into a fender Harvard(6v6,6" alnico speaker)
60's davoli didactic 9( this one is for sale)

Class AB:
1967 blackface fender bassman head(paid 35 bucks)(-this goes into a marshall cabinet filled with 70's 4x12 fender bassman speakers)
60's Gem 10 combo(6v6,2x8" alnico speakers),with vibrato
Farfisa 20(two 6v6,1x12" Jensen speaker),with detachable preamp and tremolo
Mid nineties 100 wat marshall jCM900 dual reverb 1x12 combo with el34( surprisingly- it sounds good).

Transistor amps:
Randall rg-80 112(great, versatile amp,the "good" series)
Marshall 15w combo
Pignose hog20(this one is for sale- the speaker was changed)

I hope i dind't forgot anything............

........there's also some modelling amps,like the korg ampworks, the vg8 and some modelling multieffetcs like the yamaha magicstomp and my ensoniq dp2, but those fall into the multieffects category................
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
n3p

Post by n3p »

New Amp Day. OK! So I got it for cheap, but pleasantly surprised - nice distortion for anything from blues to metal, but to be honest the clean channel isn't the best

Randall RH50T 50w Tube Head

Stuck it with a Marshall 2x12 for now, seems alright.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Tube Randall, that's a good thing in my book. That's the 1922 Marshall 2x12? I have two of the 1936 version.
n3p

Post by n3p »

No idea mate, but I don't think it's anything special!

One day I'll sell it all to buy a good JCM stack or Hughes & Kettner 8)
gonnarock

Post by gonnarock »

My two favorites right here. I love Peavey, absolutely love their amps. And Crate will never be beaten in distortion tones to me. :D I have a Line 6 Spider 3 but I am about finished with digital configurations. I do like the digital amps for all the different effects that you can get, but digital doesn't sound as warm to me as a real tube amp does. I want to invest in a new Peavey amp eventually for the double V guitar that I am going to get someday. That baby would never be played through a digital amp. :wink:
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

gonnarock wrote:
My two favorites right here. I love Peavey, absolutely love their amps. And Crate will never be beaten in distortion tones to me. :D I have a Line 6 Spider 3 but I am about finished with digital configurations. I do like the digital amps for all the different effects that you can get, but digital doesn't sound as warm to me as a real tube amp does. I want to invest in a new Peavey amp eventually for the double V guitar that I am going to get someday. That baby would never be played through a digital amp. :wink:

ROCK On "GR" :-)
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Fuck me !!! GR is on FIRE . Preach the word !!!

NEWBEGINNINGS

Post by 1031 »

The Carvin is my main amp, I use a roland cube to practice with, sits by the computer I just play to Itunes I have our set list on it as a ton of other music to play. I truly love the Carvin the most versatile amp and one of the best sounding I have owned. I loved my JCM 800 2203 but a one trick pony it was and the half stack days are over.

Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Is it heavy? I have found that decent tube amps in combo form are just way too heavy.

I once borrowed a 5150 2x12 and it almost near killed me! I'd rather lug a lighter cab and then the head.

As it stands I bought two 1936 Marshall cabs, easier to get in a regular car boot than a 4x12.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i used to have this along with the 100w M1 (like Prince used on purple rain) and Quattro (like Reb Beech and George Lynch used in 87 and 88) [youtube][/youtube] M5

bad demo of Quattro as heard on Back for the Attack and first Winger..
[youtube][/youtube]
Bye Bye
gonnarock

Post by gonnarock »

Genebaby wrote:Is it heavy? I have found that decent tube amps in combo form are just way too heavy.

I once borrowed a 5150 2x12 and it almost near killed me! I'd rather lug a lighter cab and then the head.

As it stands I bought two 1936 Marshall cabs, easier to get in a regular car boot than a 4x12.
Tube amps are WAY too heavy. haha. This is for sure. I can't even pick up the Peavey amp that I am wanting... :lol: But I have people who I can utilize as roadies. haha :lol:

Post by 1031 »

Genebaby wrote:Is it heavy? I have found that decent tube amps in combo form are just way too heavy.

Its not that bad for a combo they really kept the size down 26x17x10 in inches, it's lighter than a good 4x12
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
ankh

Post by ankh »

hope this works, here's a slideshow of my amps, except my '67 bassman head:

http://img52.imageshack.us/slideshow/pl ... 91j3x.smil
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

if you ever want to sell the Elka unit let me know.
Bye Bye