Vin's Lesser Known Gear

Talk about Vinnie's equipment
milanino

Vin's Lesser Known Gear

Post by milanino »

I have read a lot of incomplete information regarding Mr. Vincent's equipment over the years, so I am writing to clear some things up.

As has been noted, there have been numerous Jackson guitars that have been discussed. The Rhodes prototype and signature models have been fairly accurately described on this forum. The only glaring point that needs to be cleared up is that there were no "student model" Jackson guitars in the early 1980s. The dot necked guitars were used because of the different feel that the unbound necks provide. These were not "lesser" models, as the build quality is exactly the same as their more expensive counterparts, however they are of a lower trim level. To put it in today's terms, a brand new Gibson Historic Les Paul Standard has the same level of craftsmanship as a Historic Les Paul Special, but they have different feels and features.

As for other guitars of note, I will start with the lesser discussed models first.

1- 1959 Gibson Les Paul Sunburst - This guitar is the most valuable guitar in Vin's collection. It is in very good condition and has not been modified. This guitar was purchased when working on the Paramount lot and was used (contrary to what has been written) for the majority of Vinnie's rhythm work throughout the years.

2- 1958 Gibson Les Paul Sunburst - A close second to the guitar above. This guitar has a headstock repair and had a factory respray prior to Vin purchasing it. It was purchased from Stuyvesant Music NYC in aprox 1984.

3- 1959 Gibson Flying V - Original model and one of the rarest guitars out there. Purchased from Norm Harris.

3- 1968 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe - This is a first year Les Paul Deluxe. It has mini humbuckers and was purchased from Brian's Guitars in CT. It has a gold finish. This can also be seen in some DH videos.

4- 1963 Fender Stratocaster - White finish. The first of many purchased from East Coast Music Mall (Ed Roman). This guitar is stock and is very collectable.

5- 1966 Fender Stratocaster - Refinished in red, Floyd Rose added along with a humbucker in the bridge and two Duncan single coils. The 5 way has been replaced with three toggle switches and a brass nut (non locking) added. This guitar was purchased by Vin private sale while living in LA.

6- 1969 Rickenbacker 381 12 String - given to Vin by Gary Gersh who is now with AEG

7- 1965 Rickenbacker 360 12 String - purchased at Manny's 48th Street

8- Kramer Custom Guitar - This guitar was given to Vin by Dennis Berardi when he visited the factory. It was finished in red.

Acoustics:

1956 Martin D-18
1963 Gibson J-45
1966 Gibson J-160E
1978 Guild 12 string

Carvin:

While there is only one Carvin VV there are two identical guitars with the Carvin logo. One was made by Carvin and one was made by (IIRC) Bob Lipman (East Coast Music Mall) and the logo added later at Carvin. This guitar was built to finalize neck carve and balance issues before the Carvin model.

There were also two Carvin double neck guitars. A black double neck with a 6 and 12 (inline) headstock and the grey one.

Amps:

Vin used Fender Twin amps early on. He then moved to a Mesa Boogie and Andy Topeka modded Marshall (the former was used on LIU). Vin owns several Marshall Plexi heads. Two Super Leads, a Super Trem and Super Bass. These have been modified by Chuck Onkst, who worked at Vesley's Music.

Chuck also modified Vin's Carvin amps (X-100). Different tubes were added, filtercaps were upgraded, the effects loop was removed and an extra gain stage was added. He also modded a pair of Music Man combos that were used to fill out Vin's live sound. To anyone who knows about the MM amps they were tube preamps with solid state power sections.

There have also been many custom guitars that were built by Ed Roman's various builders for both Vin and the Judas singer who screwed him. I have reason to believe that caused some of the issues with the Roman Double V, which unfortunately happened when Ed suddenly passed away. That is a story for another day and I digress.
shramiac

Re: Vin's Lesser Known Gear

Post by shramiac »

"Carvin:

While there is only one Carvin VV there are two identical guitars with the Carvin logo. One was made by Carvin and one was made by (IIRC) Bob Lipman (East Coast Music Mall) and the logo added later at Carvin. This guitar was built to finalize neck carve and balance issues before the Carvin model.

There were also two Carvin double neck guitars. A black double neck with a 6 and 12 (inline) headstock and the grey one."

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............very interesting! Very interesting indeed!

Now this stuff is, whether Vinnie knows or not (& I'm not judging), the real stuff we're interested in. Most here ARE guitar nerds, we're not interested in the girls, the possible drug stories, bad managers/band members/promoters.....okay, we have a tiny interest in that stuff TBH ( :? ) but the good stories on gear, great gigs, techniques etc...

My 2 cents anyway.
Last edited by shramiac on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Hi milanino, a very interesting first post.

Do you want to tell us a bit about yourself and how you would know this sort of information?

I don't think anyone really knows most of this, and things like does Vinnie still own these guitars, or have they moved on?
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I certainly didn't know most of what you have posted here on your first post. You are quite welcome here as is Vinnie. Do you feel comfortable sharing any of the details as to how you know this very personal information about these guitars? As Andrew stated most of us truly love equipment facts and stories especially as it pertains to Mr. Cusano.

It would be amazing to see him upload a video of himself playing one of those fifties Les Paul's even if he did this with a cell phone video.....

I was working late last night and listened to one of the Live Treasure recordings on Youtube. I believe that he played that White Strat that you mention?

Once again welcome to the VVFF

Kev
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Bang Zoom Crazy Hello !!!!
That's a Hell of a first post !

Quite honestly, I am not too worried about Milanino's identity and I hope no one else is.
I just want to have some good discussions and it looks like we are on our way.

Welcome to the VVFF, Milanino !
Last edited by poserboy71 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

Welcome Milanino, good stuff , killer post!
Thanks!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Milanino, I believe that most guitarists call dot neck fingerboards "student models" out of habit. I don't believe it is a term meant to be used about quality.

You are correct with your evaluation of certain guitars deemed to be of lesser quality.
I have always said that about a Les Paul Studio in comparison to the higher priced models with a few more bells and whistles.

NEWBEGINNINGS
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Hello!
Cool information, thanks a lot for sharing!!!
I'm just wondering if Vinnie still has all those great guitars, or, if he sold them, who bought them, where are they?
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Student model I believe was actually a term used by Jackson to specify the lack of binding and sharkfin inlays, but yes, not an indication of a lower quality build, just different specifications.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Genebaby wrote:Student model I believe was actually a term used by Jackson to specify the lack of binding and sharkfin inlays, but yes, not an indication of a lower quality build, just different specifications.

Yes indeedly do, that is correct. In the 1984 Jackson/Charvel catalog, the white dot neck Rhoads is described as "The Randy Rhoads Student guitar".

That would be why the dot neck Rhoads would be called that as a general term by us plebs. :lol:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Interesting. You obviously had a connection with vv to know this. If you can say what would be cool. Interesting two carvin vv models. The owner of ric told me that vv bought a few rics from them in the 80s.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yeah student is just trim and I like the student trim
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I think you mean barry lipman not bob?
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Do you know more about the kramer? Never seen or heard about?
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote:Yeah student is just trim and I like the student trim
College-aged !

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Haha
Bye Bye
milanino

Post by milanino »

I thank you all for the positive response.

I stand corrected, it was Barry Lipman who built what was to become the prototype for the Carvin VV. I should also note that this particular guitar has had a couple different finishes and during the last respray was done in silver metal flake.

The guitars listed are still in Mr. Vincent's collection. The exception being the Flying V which was sold a few years back. In addition, Vin also has a sunburst 1961 Gibson ES-345 that he he used for years while playing sessions and casuals in CT/NYC. This guitar was also used on Felix's record. It is a personal favorite of Vin's. He also has a 1963 Gibson ES-335 in cherry red.

As for the Kramer, I'm not too up on their models but I believe the guitar is a Pacer. It has undergone extensive modifications. It does have a Floyd Rose and has had various pickups. Eventually, the neck and middle single coils were removed and a custom wound Seymour Duncan was installed in the bridge.

As for the Jackson models I have seen a lot of speculation about rosewood/ebony fretboards. The dot neck guitars are all rosewood. These (2) were stock models that sold for about $1500 at the time. Vin received these as endorsement models and requested them because the non-bound necks were similar to the Fender and Les Paul Special guitars he had played for years. While the rosewood is said to have a slightly warmer tone there wasn't a noticeable difference through Vin's rig.

As for the resprayed guitars, they were done several different ways depending on the model. The headstock respray was done because the neck on that particular guitar was broken off at the headstock. Once the repair was complete a refinish was required. It was never talked about as far as logo style, etc... the guitar was just refinished and sent back to Vin.

There were (are) several resprays that were done by Vin. He has always enjoyed painting his guitars and these were quick jobs done with rattle cans to change up the look as he got bored with them. Most were refinished professionally by various repair shops or the factory.

As some may know, Vin's heart has always been geared more towards vintage instruments. These days, the majority of his collection reflects this and was built up over decades of collecting.

Perhaps if people are interested I can speak to more of the collection at some point.

Namaste
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

Thanks Milanino, i wonder if he had or still has some Bass guitars on his collection.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Kick #ss Milanino!

poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Milanino,
This is all we have ever wanted. To be fans, geek out a bit, and just have in depth conversation about our favorite guitarist.
As long as you can guarantee your posts are not hearsay and /or rumor, we are ALL IN !!!!
We try our best not to speculate and we are very protective of Vin.

Thanks for your two amazing posts. I am in positive that I can speak for the forum elder here at The VVFF when I say that all of us anxiously await more of your contributions.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Well said - Great contributions!
ankh

Post by ankh »

Welcome and thanks so much for providing such interesting and insightful infos !!Thanks also for sharing your knowledge with us.

Namaste'
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Thanks. I feel these posts are not bs. I am guessing either you worked for ed roman or on asg tour? Or maybe you know vv now. We always thought vv was painting his own guitars.
I have never seen silver carvin. Would be cool to see. We know some stuff regarding who made his washburn and ibanez. I saw someone, on harmony central mention barry lipman made the carvin body but didnt believe it. Now I see it maybe true.

Anyway much appreciated
Bye Bye
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

"The guitars listed are still in Mr. Vincent's collection" : the owner of the collection is certainly not Vinnie, after the bankruptcy episode.
say two sky two say fare
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

tukoztukoz wrote:"The guitars listed are still in Mr. Vincent's collection" : the owner of the collection is certainly not Vinnie, after the bankruptcy episode.
tukoztukoz,
I don't believe you have to claim certain things during an unfortunate situation like that. AGAIN, WE DON'T NEED TO SPECULATE. :)
Out of respect for Vinnie's personal life, let's back off of speaking about such sensitive topics and just enjoy talking about gear.

EVERYONE, I implore you to not guess or ask who Milanino is. Let's just enjoy the possibilities of future conversations here.

THANKS TO ALL.

Respect, Rick

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Under US law as I remember when looking at the cases all those years ago (lets leave them in the past & move on), if you were a courier driver facing bankruptcy, you'd be allowed to keep your delivery van as it was the "tool" you used to made money with. Same would apply to a musician, mechanic, plumber, poserboy :twisted:, etc.....
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

NEWBEGINNINGS
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Sorry, there was no intention to be disrespectful.
say two sky two say fare
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Great topic and info. Many thanks :)))
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Vv mentioned chuck ongst in asg credits.

This is copied from credits..
Jackson guitars w/ Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, and Barcus Berry pups. Washburn 6/12 ... Amp modifications performed by Chuck Onkst. Eventide and Vesta-Fire signal processors.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Milanino ?

NEWBEGINNINGS
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

[youtube][/youtube]
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

[youtube][/youtube]

NEWBEGINNINGS
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

O.K. , So it looks as if we only got a few posts and then nothing.
It really looked promising but then a few people had to be KNOW-IT-ALLS and kinda fuck it up (not just in this thread).
It really upsets me to the point of not contributing as often as I would like.
We have other avenues to discuss things that upset us.

YES, Someone was being clever by using the name "MILANINO".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cusano_Milanino
YES, the I.P. matches the rumored location of where Vinnie might be living now (Please---DON'T ASK for location or how I know ;) ).
Regardless, Can we all just soften the tone just a tad .
Let's keep the door open to future possibilities of polite conversation.

As for the drama seekers that occasionally come to the VVFF, I strongly hope that we shut them down a lot quicker than we have in the past. We let that shit go on for far too long . I still believe a lot of those old posts should be stricken from this forum .

Peace to all. ---PB71

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

He maybe busy. Hopefully come back. If not we will survive but its nice to get random posts like that. I dont know who said what or if I am to blame and sorry if it was me. I was just agreeing with everything and may have sounded like a know it all.but I.was actually linking things I had read with what he said.and agreeing not being a know.it.all.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote:He maybe busy. Hopefully come back. If not we will survive but its nice to get random posts like that. I dont know who said what or if I am to blame and sorry if it was me. I was just agreeing with everything and may have sounded like a know it all.but I.was actually linking things I had read with what he said.and agreeing not being a know.it.all.
Dino,
All of us are guilty of improper TONE at times. We mean well but...
We were on the verge of good conversation yet insults and past hurt started flying in other threads therefore ,I believe, pissing off Milanino.

I could be wrong. We could have just had another person(in the long line of imposters) trying to imply that they are Vinnie.
Giving us a little bit to chew on then ... CAT AND MOUSE.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I spoke in a pm to.him and all was cool. He said something and I.basically backed him up.. now I see I.could be sounding like it was old news but I actually was saying in my head that what he says is correct and was thankful for seeing the links we had together.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Anyway I apologise if anything to do with me. I am so busy I write quickly and dont double check if I sound how I feel etc
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I wouldn't say it occurred within this thread. There were other threads on the forum where the usual regurgitation from some posters occurred.

Oh well, Growing tired of wishing and just happy with what we have.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

True!
I feel good with everything around here, in fact, i love it.-
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

:)

Post by 1031 »

Too bad the interaction stopped.. I was very interested in the two 59 gibbys and their history. Both of these are obviously rare and good condition examples are very few especially the V . It would have been incredible to see a pic of them. Its crazy to think that V's were so unpopular that they blew them out at cost to get rid of them and today a 59 depending condition could pull 200+ thousand. The 59 burst is also very rare and from a historical point just being able to include the serial number of both in the known records would be a boon to the models history.

It really is not important how or why he still has them or didn't have to sell them, it's that they still exist and could be documented .

Food for thought Mr Vincent..
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"

Post by 1031 »

Oh on a side note the 78 Guild 12 string is one my favorite 12 string models any of the Guild 12s from around then are a joy to play.
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
Possio

Post by Possio »

Great post about the guitars used etc,! But, I would like to point out thou there´s a factual error in the
discription to the Music Man amps, they actually utilize a Solid State Pre-amplifier section and a tube driven
Power Amp Section, 6L6´s, not the other way around. I know since I used one (70´s version 112rd) quite recently.

Very curious as to what Rythm guitar tracks (songs) the 59 were used on? always fun to know What one is hearing
when listening to the music, so to speak.
Take care, Ollie
Possio

Post by Possio »

In addition, I`m also wonering if that 59 Les Paul still has its original PAF´s on it and if indeed
those PAF´s (or stock type Alnico2 pickups) were on the guitar while recording KISS / VVI guitar tracks ?
thanx!
roustabout23

Post by roustabout23 »

im more interested in the tone shaping, all the guitars are fine, and wonderful.

What overdrive, distortion, delay etc was preferred or was it all just amps... too bad too many puppies made milanino stop posting.