Vinnie's Hard Rock Hotel guitar

Talk about Vinnie's equipment
shramiac

Vinnie's Hard Rock Hotel guitar

Post by shramiac »

The good people at the Hard Rock Hotel in Pattaya, Thailand have been kind enough to send me a couple of close up shots of Vinnie's pink Rhoads guitar (Believe me, they won't sell it. I've tried a couple of times to buy it!) and without a doubt, it IS one of the original gold Rhoads that Vinnie used on the CoTN & LIU tours. Admittedly it's been chopped and changed a bit over the years and like I've said many times, such a shame the original gold Jackson logo was painted over but I guess at the time, nostalgia wasn't something on anyone's mind when it was re-done. No doubt the pink was done a second time due to road damage from touring before being handed over to the Hard Rock company.

String tree missing but who cares! Maybe because the original hardware was chrome and a black one couldn't be found? With the Floyd nut, it's not needed anyway.

As we all suspected, no serial number!

And now the clincher for me! Even taking account of possible camera flash flare, the 7th & 9th fret inlays match in these two pictures! The 7th fret inlay is a very squigglie MoP but in both pictures, you can see the same mark between the G & B strings. The 9th fret inlay has the same 15°angle shaded part on the bottom of the inlay that starts at the high E and finishes between the B & G string..

Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
birnie

Re: Vinnie's Hard Rock Hotel guitar

Post by birnie »

I'm surprised he doesn't go back to say it's his property and reclaim

Nice of em to send the pics !
Thanks for sharing :)
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

How did the get this guitar?
Did he sell this directly ?
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

At last something solid about Vinnie's guitars! Nice observation job!
say two sky two say fare
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Yes. I remember that a few of us made the argument that the markings on the fretboard are the same as the old pics. Great job !
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Depending how I look it seems that there is binding over the frets, which they stopped doing around 86, it was too time consuming for no real benefit.

So if its a real Jackson it's fairly early. That trem is from late 87/88 when Jackson introduced the JT6, which kinda makes sense as Vinnie liked to use the old non-fine tuner Floyd and would have taken it with him.

I'm not as sure about the fret markers, I don't have that much of an eye for detail.

It does seem they acquired it personally from Vinnie somehwow, with his little note on the body there so it legitimately came from him direct it seems.

The lack of a serial worries me, as Jackson were serialising everything after Randy's two guitars, so this guitar SHOULD have a serial that looks like RRxxxx.

See the chart on this page: http://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-AU/sup ... l-numbers/

Randy's mother received RR0000 and the numbers went up from there. Artist guitars are mixed in with everyone else's custom order, so no serial is a very suspicious thing. If you were making a copy, what serial could you give it? None, as being a neck through, there would be a legit guitar somewhere with the same number. Taking the neckplate off a bolt-on is different, as the serial goes with the plate.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Definitely has the binding over the fret ends.

As for serial number...looking as close as I can get, there almost looks like there are some marks there?

Hard Rock were great with the quality of the pictures. The two display pictures are pretty big. The pants/guitar shot is 3456 x 5184 (5.12MB)! You can print a quality poster with that size!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, the binding is there, and I can ALMOST see something where the serial should be. I've been mucking about in Photoshop but I can't get anything to appear like I was hoping. Its like I can almost see an R there.

The nut area looks a bit strange, almost like this was a non Floyd guitar that got converted.

For some reason a few of the old Jacksons, among others, got string trees when they were not needed due to the headstock angle, much like a LP. This one obviously had one at some point.

Another oddity, if it was being redone by Jackson then they or Vinnie should have put the original hand logo on there, not a more current one. It would have been totally fine, as it was there before, now it looks like a much older build guitar.

If only we could get a REALLY good look at that serial number......
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I know I'm testing the patience of the good people at the HR Hotel but I asked if there was any sign of the number! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Asked them to look for something this...

Either way, the inlay similarities in the two side by side photos convinces me that it's the same guitar. No way you could replicate those random, nature made, Mother of Pearl patterns. Kudos to Vinnie for handing over one of his old favourites to be displayed.

He used a tree when the guitar was gold (well on one of the gold ones, can't tell which one from this shot), so I doubt it was a regular nut converted.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, I've seen the string tree in the older photos, it's just so strange to ruin the logo.
Sandimas

Post by Sandimas »

We discussed this guitar a few years ago based on the Cardiff Hard Rock pics and I for one was convinced enough it was legit.

The other fact I noted was where the neck joint sits - if you compare RR models from 1983 to later ones the shoulders on the body appear about one fret further up the neck on the later ones. The Hard Rock example is a super early guitar for sure.
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

So the RR1 on sale at Julien is an old RR1 too (same neckjoint place)?
rrnecknjoint.JPG
rrnecknjoint.JPG (10.75 KiB) Viewed 8492 times
say two sky two say fare
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

About time you showed up Sandi! :P :P :P :D :D :D

There might just well be an oldie at the auction, tukoz! If so, it also means that the second gold Rhoads was at some point during the LIU tour re-painted pink. :(
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Sorry not convinced by the inlay argument the 15th fret inlay totally different
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

There is no serial I have seen it close up.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Send the picture to grover and Shannon. They will confirm
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Third marker not the same either.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Pattaya was in the news today.......

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 7336504798
birnie

Post by birnie »

Haha, awesome
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Perfect place for vinnies guitar.
Bye Bye
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Ladyboyz gonna, rock gonna rock...
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: Vinnie's Hard Rock Hotel guitar

Post by Genebaby »

tukoztukoz wrote:Ladyboyz gonna, rock gonna rock...
Lol!!!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Been waiting for someone to say something like that! :shock: :oops: :|

The HR got back to me and have said there is definitely NO serial number on the guitar!

This of course fits in with the Jackson serial number database that says that serial numbers didn't start until 1983.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

tukoztukoz wrote:Ladyboyz gonna, rock gonna rock...
That's no Ladyboy, that's a LadyMAN!!!!!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

shramiac wrote:Been waiting for someone to say something like that! :shock: :oops: :|

The HR got back to me and have said there is definitely NO serial number on the guitar!

This of course fits in with the Jackson serial number database that says that serial numbers didn't start until 1983.
Ok, cool. By coincidence I will be in the area next month, so I will travel to this HRH and see this guitar in person and place my eyeballs all over it.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Alright Mr Vincent, I am booked in for two nights at the Pattaya Hard Rock next month, can't wait.
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Don't forget to wear a helmet if you walk across Pattaya streets!
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: Vinnie's Hard Rock Hotel guitar

Post by Genebaby »

tukoztukoz wrote:Don't forget to wear a helmet if you walk across Pattaya streets!
Ha, ha, I'll maybe have to be a bit nicer to the pushy ones!
fullshredd

Post by fullshredd »

Hmmm...those shoulders look familiar ;)
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

fullshredd wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:49 am Hmmm...those shoulders look familiar ;)
LOL.

You still have your VVV? Your's and mine, the only factory fit, twin humbucker, Jackson VVVs!
fullshredd

Post by fullshredd »

shramiac wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:05 pm
fullshredd wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:49 am Hmmm...those shoulders look familiar ;)
LOL.

You still have your VVV? Your's and mine, the only factory fit, twin humbucker, Jackson VVVs!
Yup! 20 years and counting. It's an exclusive club :wink:

Bidding will start at $20K :lol:
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I've only owned mine for 7 years...geez! 7 years already! Vic screams at me every week to send it down to him too! :P
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Hey, I only scream it about once a month now.....

Speaking of which.....

SEND IT TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!