private life of vv's gold rr v

Talk about Vinnie's equipment
doublev2

private life of vv's gold rr v

Post by doublev2 »

So after years of head scratching I am going to make my educated guess on the life of vinnie's gold creatures Jackson rr v guitar.

1. 1982. Gold with emg 81 and Seymour Duncan PAF with rosewood reverse inlays and black headstock with gold original Jackson logo.

2. 1983. Rush job respray to pink possibly by vv himself for lick it up tour. He left pickups and kept black headstock with gold logo untouched

3 1984. after left kiss he took it to Jackson for real paint job. That included respray on headstock keeping it black but now with newer Jackson logo in white. Same pick ups.

4. 1996. Swedish kiss expo. Now including myself and many think that was not same guitar as headstock now painted pink to match body. However now I am more than 50% sure that it is the creatures v in its 4th finish.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Re: private life of vv's gold rr v

Post by doublev2 »

Just my guess but I think I am close or on the money
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I could see that.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I do love the fact vv changed colors. I think he is very instinctive and most likely just does it quickly.
I would not myself ever think of changing the color of my guitar but I think it's cool. Says something about why his music was so good too.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Two gold ones though. Assumed one remained gold. There's footage from the same LIU concert where he used both.

The Jackson endorsers ad guitar if it is a re-spray, I could understand the head was re-done with a white logo as it was only 2 or 3 years old at the time and would have been done to the then standard. 30 years later we can all be sentimental about the original gold logo but at the time.....

Whatever the story is for these guitars, I hoped they have a great home to live in.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yes appears he had two gold unless he resprayed the gold one pink in Lisbon or Madrid on euro tour as for sure gold and pink photographed on euro tour. Would have to watch the Lisbon show again to see if both are pictured.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Ok he has pink in Lisbon so for sure 2 identical gold
[youtube] [/youtube]
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

For me that's the best performance of detroit rock city on youtube. Gene doesn't look lost like everyone said and paul is amazing. Energy great as well. Lots of still from that show too.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Vv with gold in Madrid
Bye Bye
Iainblack

Post by Iainblack »

Do we know how many Jackson RRs Vinnie actually had from Jackson?

Further prototypes Edit
Two more prototypes were commissioned (which makes them four in total), another string through body example (later accidentally sold at NAMM) and another black and brass tremolo model with reversed shark fin inlays. Rhoads died in a plane crash in March 1982, before these two guitars were completed, and before he could give Grover any feedback. These revised prototypes would become the first guitars sold to the public under the Jackson Guitars brand name.

The ensuing popularity of Randy Rhoads and the Rhoads model helped put Jackson's name on the map.[citation needed]

Notable users Edit

Vinnie Vincent, formerly of Kiss, was the first professional guitarist to be offered an early Rhoads guitar by Jackson after Rhoads' death, which Vincent used on the Kiss Creatures of the Night and Lick It Up tours from 1982 until 1984. Following Vincent's departure from Kiss, he modified the Rhoads V design by adding a second V at a slight rotation to the first such that it mimics a shadow. Jackson made at least 3 of these Vincent modified Rhoads Vs from 1985 to 1988 for Vincent, and about 25 others were custom ordered and sold. The design would later be copied by Carvin, Ibanez, Washburn Guitars, as well as to numerous boutique brands, all with Vinnie Vincent's cooperation.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

Returning to this subject a bit, partly due to recently getting myself a knock-off copy. It's funny that even being that Randy Rhoads' Jackson is quite famous guitar, there is not many proper articles written about the history of the models of this guitar, well I mean the guitars that were built in the 1980s. Or are there any good articles or detailed info anywhere?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It was definitely a cool guitar when it finally was released and a lot of people wanted one but I don't think anyone has explored it's history too much other than it was designed by Randy and he passed too soon, barely enjoying the second prototype.

The construction changed over the years, in a way you can't tell unless you hold the different guitars. I have a PCS which is a replica of Randy's second prototype, the proper Rhoads shape, and I have a production neck through high end model and they are very different to hold. The PCS feels more solid and different.

Back in the day they were just another of the sweet Jackson range of neck through guitars that people wanted to play.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Not even much on the Wiki page for the guitars.
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

I have thought of written to Grover Jackson, but I'm not sure if he'd give me a time of day... Or if he's up for an interview.
I will figure out some questions and maybe approach him.
Any suggestions/questions?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

We know the basics of the guitars and how they came about. What are you trying to find out, or want to know?
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

Well, being a life-long Randy Rhoads-fan, I know most about Randy's involvement with that guitar, but it's the details of those few other guitars that came (were built...) after his death that I'm curious about. For example, there are few versions of how that one particular guitar was sold at NAMM (what was the exact year of that? 1984 or before?) I have read an article,- tho' I don't have it now, about the guy who bought the white one which had a tailpiece with strings going thru' and gold hardware. So, is there a more or less definitive info on how Vinnie came to those Jackson guitars that he jad? I mean like confirmed info, not only Vinnie's claims etc...?
This might be trivial, I know, but anyway...
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

This is one the better articles about original RR Concorde (or Original Sin, or whatever it was called...)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.guitar ... high-again
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Vinnie being in KISS got him the golden ticket to use the RR shape very early, hence his is gold one was one of "The First Five". This started him on his grounding with Jackson, so he got more, and then his own model later on.

There is also a super early Rhoads that used to be the template for cases. Something was wrong with it so they just used it to shape the cases. Someone got that one, had it fixed up, whatever it needed and turned it back into a very early Rhoads.

The white one basically got sold in error while Grover was distracted and took a long time to surface.
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

Yeah, I remember reading that Grover was quite bummed-out because of that... Well, who wouldn't.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

The black one with the vintage trem was the third one....but it wasn't finished until the late 80's.It had some neck issues apparently? In the picture with Mike Shannon (who made my VVV btw :D) that you linked to, there is a poster behind the headstock with the "toothpaste" Charvel logo proving the picture was taken in the late 80's.

Translated the picture says,

"Mike Shannon, luthier at Jackson and creator of the soloist, photographed with unfinished Jackson from Randy Rhoads and assembly was only done in 1998 when g jackson sold it to collector Rob Lane".

The argument is whether the guitar was actually ordered by Randy or was just a guitar they were working on that they would have offered to him. No doubt Jackson would have liked to get a couple more into Randy's hands, replacing his Les Paul (good luck with THAT, Jackson lol) and his legendary, always out of tune, Sandoval polka dot Vee. The most likely story is that Randy DID have ideas for the next few Jacksons but never actually got to discuss them with Grover & Mike and this and the sold at NAMM white one were just ones Jackson was working on in anticipation to give to Randy. Sadly, none of it got to happen. :(

I actually had an argument with some German lawyer a couple of years ago that swore black & blue that the black one was refitted with a Floyd, painted gold and given to Vinnie. Even when shown that picture of it with Mike Shannon and another where you can clearly see a PC from the late 80's, the dude wouldn't believe me. Oh well.
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

German lawyer must have worked for the prosecutor then 🤣 Those two are obviously two different guitars
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Late 90's I meant! D'oh!

I got interrupted when I was writing that post and it took me an hour to finish it! lol

As the caption on the Mike Shannon picture said, 1998.

Sorry.
ArnfinnRong78

Post by ArnfinnRong78 »

doublev2 wrote: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:25 pm Yes appears he had two gold unless he resprayed the gold one pink in Lisbon or Madrid on euro tour as for sure gold and pink photographed on euro tour. Would have to watch the Lisbon show again to see if both are pictured.
Will write more tomorrow, ABOUT VINNIE VINCENT'S GUITARS.

It's legend in real life. Randy came home Christmas Eve 1981, and went straight over to Groover Jackson. Groover sawed a whopper chunk out of the black guitar that would eventually become streamlined and standardised according to the Christmas Eve Chainsaw Massacre at Groover's workshop, hacksawing the fine touches into place, painting the bleeding wood over that same evening, because Randy was leaving the very next day for Ozzy and oral surgery, so he took the black guitar with him, while he and Groover agreed to build... SIX NEW GUITARS BASED ON THE CHAINSAW MASSACRE MODEL.

These were awaiting delivery to Randy, when Randy died on 23rd March 1982.

I say black guitar. The streamlined standard that they brought into the world that Christmas Eve, would later be known and sold under the name Jackson "Original Rhoads", as it differs distinctly in minute details regarding the V-tremolo string-through bridge, whereas the Jackson "Randy Rhoads" would be fitted with Floyd Rose Tremolo, and enough electronics to inadvertently launch a ballistic nuclear missile.

Vinnie only had one Golden, but he had 2x black, and although he had two pink Randy Rhoads guitars, Groover only painted two guitars pink for him in the summer of 1983. He used extensivly the black Randy Rhoads, and the golden to a less extent, on the American leg of the Lick It Up, in Europe he used the two pink Randy Rhoads.

Interestingly, one of the two pink Rhoads Jacksons don't... Add up.

You can see it's an early drawing board model that Randy may very well have used, it hasn't got the streamlined standard spesifics that make for the blueprint Groover and Randy conceived and invented in their last evening's farewell in this life, the upper part is thicker and bulkier and "bigger", than the streamlined Golden guitar, and the main Pink guitar he used.

Like I say, Randy was unhappy with the guitar, so Groover fired up the hack-saw on Christmas Eve and let it rip.

He hated Ozzy. He would have sued Sharon that Spring, to break free, if Death hadn't intervened.

He refused to go on the plane.

Don Airy was pestering him, using the illegal narcotic stimulant Cocaine, dragging him into the little cockpit, Randy said no.

So Don Airy went up with the buss driver. Later, to put a stop to the constant harrang, he and Rachel Youngblood conceeded to go for just one spin around the farm, the home of the tour buss driver.

They were only stopping en route to pick up spare parts for the tour buss.

Rudo called his brother that night, and he drove down, Ozzy hired him that same evening, they had to go right back on tour. Sharon, or at least her father came down for the funeral and he fired Rudo's brother, and wanted Bernie Tormee because he looked like a norse god boyband singer, and played guitar accordingly.

I know Greg, he was one of the Casket bearers for Randy.

I visited Mrs. Delores Rhoads in 1998, she took me into both the Musonia, and her confidence.

Ozzy never ever got allowed fifteen hundred miles of Randy's guitars. His mother kept them in a bank vault.

Ozzy just lied about the rusted guitar strings in 1988.

Cute dear old lady, really sweet, and she spoke in scorn of Ozzy. She laughed hollowly when I told her Ozzy went on record and told a sob story how he had opened up Randy's guitar cases one night in 1988
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Well....here we go!

"Vinnie only had one Golden"

That's a big no. Vinnie had two. One was painted pink before the LIU tour, the second assumed painted pink later on.

In the 3rd show of the Lick it Up tour in Madrid, Vinnie plays most of the show with a pink Rhoads. This guitar features an EMG 81 in the bridge position and a disconnected passive humbucker in the neck position and reverse inlays. This was one of the gold ones repainted. There are pictures here that clearly show the gold paint underneath the pink where the paint has worn off. Metal belts are bad for guitars! :( :P

Later in the show. he uses a gold Rhoads with exactly the same setup.

The only other pink KISS era Rhoads that Vinnie was seen with was the one used in the videos for LIU & All Hell's. It had 2 x passive humbuckers and regular inlays (though an EMG 81 was fitted in the bridge position by the time of the All Hell's video).

Now, in the 1985/6 Jackson/Charvel endorsers poster, Vinnie is holding a pink Rhoads with an EMG & passive humbucker, reverse inlays and a black headstock with the then current Jackson logo. Was this a new guitar? Or a freshly rebuilt gold one? I'm leaning to it being one of the old gold ones. So sad the original hand painted Jackson logo was replaced. :(

See at the 27:50 mark for the gold one.

Love the Randy stuff though. Yes it would have been great if he broke from the she-witch and the drunk.
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

19th of march marks 40th anniversary of Randy Rhoads' death 😟 Long live Randy's legacy!!! ✊😗
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Randy's legacy will live on forever, we love his music and his guitars!

It is unfortunate the there wasn't enough money, I'm guessing, to keep the gold guitars gold and get new pink ones, so each guitar is left alone and unmolested. This of course means you have more guitars, which is only a good thing.

I've heard some people have 10 guitars, some have more!!!! :mrgreen:
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

Yes, Vinnie should have at least kept one in gold. I never liked the pink to begin with, but you kinda get used to it 😆
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It did suit the LIU look, and it was the 80's!!!!