Definitive List Of Vinnie's Guitars?

Talk about Vinnie's equipment
thattimeofyear87

Post by thattimeofyear87 »

Perusing this forum and was wondering if there is a simple list of Vinnie's guitars that he played throughout his career (pre-KISS, KISS and post-KISS). If not, perhaps we can make a list and include photos/specs?
FREDDYB3

Re: Definitive List Of Vinnie's Guitars?

Post by FREDDYB3 »

Here we go again... I am sitting this one out.... Shram, Dino , Sandi ??? :|
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

C'mon Freddy! Don't be a chicken now!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

We have it somewhere. Its too tiring. We did it at least twice before. I may do it if I can not sleep in middle of night
Bye Bye
thattimeofyear87

I searched the forum so if it's here, can someone point me toward it?

Humble suggestion (as the former Co=Admin of KissFAQ): I'd make a sticky in this forum. Since this is Vinnie's Gear forum, his guitar list should be easily accessible IMO.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Shram? Freddy? Lol....
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Guys,
Merry Christmas to all. Timstar78 is a solid contributor to this forum and a great friend to VVFF and our friends at Kissfaq. Please find or supply him with the information requested. Collectively, this is the unbiased true Vinnie Vincent resource site where the bullshit and the lies are hosed off and washed away. We post the truth here as we know and believe it and this is just the type of request and information that we should be providing. I'm aware that this list has been fiercely debated at times but the request for a sticky note directing to where the published information resides is something we should be readily supplying someone like Timstar78 who has shared so much quality information with us.

Respectfully,
Kev
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

Agreed Slayer. I personally meant no disrespect to Timstar78 or his request at all. My post was a bit light hearted and meant in a joking manner for those that have been around for a long time. As some may know, I spend a good deal of time and effort back on the old DoubleV forum on this topic,creating an extensive thread of photo's and descriptions (including personal thoughts and theories) on all of the guitars Vinnie had been photographed with to our knowledge at the time. The thread was quite popular and was one of the most viewed and commented on threads on the site. However at one point, for some yet unexplained reason, the thread was taken down without warning or explanation and then after I inquired in private to the admin why the thread was removed, I was told they were unaware that it was down, and then without warning or announcement the thread returned, except it had been severely edited and torn apart and completely changed from the original posting, with new additions and comments, that in a sense made it appear as if the thread had been created by someone other than myself and my work on it was completely altered. I personally spent a lot of time compiling and organizing the photo's, cropping and enlarging them where needed and inspecting them for details and then ultimately creating the thread and felt at the time that someone didn't really want the info posted in full. We now realize some of the issues that were happening at that time, but did not fully understand it back then. No harm, no foul, but taking that type of time again for me would be senseless. However a "sticky note" directing interested parties to other threads on this forum that contain related info on his known guitars would be good and something for one of the admins to look at.
In a perfect world, people would make an effort to post pics and info/comments into threads that are set up for a particular topic, we know that just doesn't happen. Therefore, info gets scattered all over the site in a variety of threads that make it tough for anyone to find, keep up with and follow all. IMO.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

If you wanna start a thread on this or other important topics I can sticky it for you guys.

I feel your pain at what happened to your thread when Vinnie took over at DoubleV. We lost a lot of good threads, and then we lost them all.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I agree with all of this and the former thread on OUR former site was hijacked by an individual with a different agenda.

Timstar, I will help get this moving forward by digging in to the nearing 50 year old memory banks and there are several others here that have vastly superior knowledge on this subject so we just need to get them fired up and enthused so that they start talking.

Kiss
If memory serves me Vinnie had or played 3 or 4 different Rhoads Model Jacksons. There may have been up to 3 high end and 1 student model with a dot inlayed fret board. Pink and Gold and I will leave it to my brothers to expand on whether 1 of the Gold Rhoads was resprayed Pink?

Vinnie may have at intervals resprayed some of his guitars so the possibility is that in actuality they may have been fewer guitars.

There is the Red Strat Variation that looks like a Charvel but may have been a Guitarman?

There was a Tobacco Burst Les Paul and then several pictures of him playing Paul Stanley's various B.C. Rich Guitars.

Earlier there are pictures of Vinnie playing a Kent Les Paul Copy and various Stratocasters.

Invasion and later Vinnie was pictured with Jackson Rhoads (Pink) and the various DoubleV's and one odd guitar known as the ESP Rarebird.

Of the DoubleV's there is debate on how many jackson's Vinnie actually had but again it may have been 2 or 3 that were sprayed different colors at times and one dot inlayed Student Model.

Carvin = 1 White and Gold
Ibanez = 1 White and Gold
Pear = 1 Muticolored
Washburn = 1 White and Gold
Guitarmaggedon = 4 - various colors. Vinnie is in possession of these guitars.

As we go we all have pictures of a lot of these guitars and can post them here over time. I hope that this will get the ball rolling for you now.

Merry Christmas,

Kev
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yeah no disrespect. I will look. Sorry if I sounded a little jerky.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Heres a quick search .
http://vvforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t ... urn#p69223

I believe he had 2 jackson vv's one with dot inlays the other resprayed.
Also rickenbacker said he had a few.

Seems to have many rr v's I think a recent link on here by someone .. he may have had 4 to 6 if them.

When more time I will find something
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

We used to have a list w th pictures but vv deleted it on old board.
Here is student neck one http://vvforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15& ... son#p76786
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I think freddy deduced the rr v's to this list from my post ' black rr v'

2 x Gold (one resprayed pink)
1 x Pink/regular sharkies
1 x White/dot neck
1 x Black/dot neck
1 x Black/dot neck hardtail

Then
2x jackson vv's (one resprayed silver)
1x carvin vv
1x ibanez vv
1x washburn vv
1x pear vv
4x azg/guitarmageddon vv's

Guitarman (charvel like red and refitted with a jackson neck later)
Fender from dan hartman video which ed roman sold him

Also tabaco burst les paul in kiss
Ovation acoustic and black carvin double neck with gold hardware from that time of year videi
And bc rich mockingbird borred from paul.

Also a carvin strat borrowed from fan at a kiss convention.
Esp rarebird 1984
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

That was me with the Rhoads thank you very much!!!! :twisted:

Vinnie in the March '87 Guitar World said he had 6 Rhoads. If the black, dot neck wasn't just the white one re-sprayed, he did indeed have 6. I always wondered if the re-sprayed VVV was done AGAIN when the 2nd p/u went in? It looks sparklier after the addition? Maybe he had two VVVs with sharkies? Only the Vinmeister knows.

As well as the strat, he played what looks to be a Les Paul Goldtop Deluxe (judging by the mini humbuckers) while with Dan Hartman.

Best thing I think we can do is collate in here, then when finalised, make a sticky. Barring fights of course! :P
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Great job Dino!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Ok credit to shram for the rrvv's and advanced info on les paul. I can not find it but someone posted the name of guy at carvin who made it.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

The Carvin I have no idea. Tim found John Carruthers who made the Ibanez though! Kudos to Tim.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yes.
Some guy came in here or dv board with name of guy at carvin.
Bye Bye
thattimeofyear87

Very cool. Thanks all.

I've pulled a couple of photos/screen grabs, for some visuals.

Fender Strat: "Instant Replay" video

Gibson Les Paul: Vinnie's playing a LP on this "Top Of The Pops" performance.

A couple of questions:

Do we know which guitar this is? Hard to tell from the side...

Do we know what guitar(s) Vinnie used on Creatures?

Wasn't there a COTN tour video uncovered where Vinnie was playing a black Strat?
thattimeofyear87

And here's a close-up of the maple neck of that red Strat (fascinating guitar to me):

thattimeofyear87

The VV repainted silver:

doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Not sure about strat revording creatures.. maybe charvel?
There is pics of vv on creatures tour with tabscco burst les paul. Not the top of the pops one.. thanks for that btw.tge red strat logo is guitarman which we have a post where I found out the info somewhere.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Many of us believe he added a neck pick up to that silver purple vv jackson.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

From very vague memory I remember vv saying he had a takemine guitar as well.. this could be wrong info though but about 90% sure.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

One of our members has a kent les paul vv used to give guitar lessons in a music store in either white plains or danbury on.
Bye Bye
thattimeofyear87

With Les Paul on COTN tour:
Image[/URL]
thattimeofyear87

The B.C. Rich:
Image[/URL]
thattimeofyear87

Red "strat" with different neck:
Image[/URL]

This was outfitted with a Floyd and two EMG humbuckers, yes?
birnie

Post by birnie »

Any info on acoustic guitars?
The only example I can think of is on "Ya Know I'm Pretty Shot"
Any other "acoustic" sounds were regualr electric with no distortion I believe.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I guess ovation on love kills. I dont think the instrumental tune is ovation. Maybe thats the takemine???
I think the ebony board on red strat was a jackson neck. A pic exists somewhere. Guess he took off the guitarman neck during creatures tour.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Judging how beat up the re-sprayed Rhoads looked, I wouldn't be surprised if ole Vin had snapped the neck on that "strat" a couple of times???

The re-sprayed VVV looks very sparklie in that pic Tim posted, so I take back the thought that it was done again!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The ebony board red stat neck is the one with the guitar man logo, it was often confused as a strange version of a Charvel logo into Dino found out about guitar man company.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The Les Paul Vinnie used there looks a lot like the one Paul had out the HITS tour.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Tim, I think I can safely speak for all of us and apologize for our attitudes. We are quite beaten down as of the last few years.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

So......as a rough guide we have,

School days: Montano folk guitar (Marketed by Ibanez, funny that the earliest Vinnie pic features an "Ibanez" and the last endorsement pic of Vinnie featured the Ibi VVV [Dean Markley amp ad])

Post school: Kent Les Paul, Gibson J 160 E acoustic/electric, black Gibson(?) Les Paul (May have been the Kent? Shown in that picture of Vinnie at a gig...that I can't find now!)

Treasure: Stock white strat

Hartman: White strat (assume same as Treasure days), Goldtop Deluxe Les Paul

KISS Sessions: Unknown black strat? May be a Fender? May be a Guitarman? P/U config unknown, no Floyd! May then have been converted to single EMG with Floyd for CoTN tour???? (I can't find a pic of this config guitar, though VVFF member,"my little guitar" has made a model of it)

CoTN Tour: 2 x gold Rhoads(reverse inlays), red Guitarman strat with maple...then rosewood board...then Jackson decal, white dot neck Rhoads, black hardtail Rhoads with dot neck, Paul's BC Rich Mockingbird, Paul's (??) tobacco burst Les Paul standard, black Floyded single EMG "Charvel" (????)

LIU: Gold Rhoads, pink re-sprayed from gold Rhoads, pink Rhoads(regular inlays), black dot neck Rhoads.

Post KISS:(as I see it!) Pink Rhoads reverse inlays(from Jackson endorsers group shot).

VVI: ESP Rarebird, pink Jackson VVV, white Jackson VVV with dot neck

ASG: Silver Jackson VVV (re-sprayed from pink and later installed with 2nd P/U), white Carvin, white Ibanez, white Wasburn, Carvin DC612 double neck, Ovation Balladeer, unknown Washburn acoustic

Solo: Multi cloured Pear VVV, 4 x ASG VVVs

Please correct me where I've got it wrong! Please tell me I'm close though! :( :D

And to stir the pot, :mrgreen: .....I'll say that the Hard Rock guitar IS the re-spayed from gold Rhoads! The Rhoads in the Charvel/Jackson endorser ad looks to be in MINT condition and features the white Jackson logo which was the standard! The photo was taken post KISS and therefore would probably have never been used in a concert. Why would it need a fully re-spray, including the headstock before going to the HR? The re-sprayed Rhoads however, as seen on the LIU tour, was beat up something fierce and would definitely be in need of a new coat. As I've said before, it's sad that the original handpainted gold Jackson logo was painted over.....

And my final stir is for all the Rhoads, here we go.....Vinnie said he has 6 of them......

2 x gold, reverse inlays, one re-sprayed pink
1 x pink, regular inlays (the "KISS videos guitar")
1 x pink, reverse inlays, post KISS
1 x black hardtail with dot neck
1 x white with dot neck..........resprayed black for LIU tour (can't find any CoTN tour pics with it)

Though..................I could be wrong!
thattimeofyear87

Nice...

Here is the video with the "black Strat":
[youtube][/youtube]

And a really bad screen grab:

Is there any better footage/photos of this guitar?
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

First time I saw black strat.
Bye Bye
thattimeofyear87

What about the controls on the gold Jackson?

- Volume
- Pickup toggle switch
- Some sort of boost switch?

Sandimas

Post by Sandimas »

I believe the toggle switches are a 3 way pickup selector, plus the pre-amp switch for the neck humbucker.

It's difficult to mix active EMG's and regular passing pickups as the actives require a 25k pot for tone or volume whereas a regular passive humbucker needs 500k.

Put the passive humbucker through an EMG pre-amp however and not only does it boost the passive to active output levels, it allows low impedance pickup mixing.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Thanks sandimas.
Anyone have any thoughts on black strat? Seems like syracuse gig may have been only appearance
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Yes, thanks Tim and Sandi! Looks like the black strat has a neck EMG too.

I wonder if the TV station has any of the footage in their archives?
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Maybe resprayed guitarman or 2nd guitarman
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Pretty early gig of the tour so I'd guess a second guitar......or it was re-sprayed red!!!! :lol:

C'mon Vinnie! Throw us a freakin bone! :)
thattimeofyear87

Speaking of paint, did Vinnie himself repaint the gold Jackson pink? Or did he have someone else do it?
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I we certain that black strat is not the bc rich?
No idea who painted vv's guitars but not a great job.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Who knows? I doubt Vinnie painted the gold one the first time but the finish it has now, sitting in the HR Hotel in Thailand is pretty bad! Very orange peel!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

You know in those aol instant messages when selling guitar he would ask what color the buyer would want. I guess he can paint a little.
Bye Bye
thattimeofyear87

Paul's Les Paul from the HITS tour:

The Les Paul Vinnie played on the COTN tour:

doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Wow.
Are they dirty fingers pick ups?
Bye Bye