vinnies sound!!!!!

Talk about Vinnie's equipment
964rsboy

vinnies sound!!!!!

Post by 964rsboy »

hi folks, anyone any idea what gear he uses for that sound of his????
doublev2

Re: vinnies sound!!!!!

Post by doublev2 »

emg 81s , i think a mesa boogie 50w??? with kiss and then with vvi a room full of amps totalling more than 2000 watts on full blast, I think the amps were Laney, Marshall, Mesa Boogie. Somewhere back someone said VV was using Seymour Duncan amps or at least testing them. Others know more than me about the rest. Seems like he was spontaneous with his choices..maybe he just felt what was the best thing at the time.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

One of my exchanges with Vinnie asked this question. He spoke of a Mesa/Boogie head with a built-in EQ but I think the one he really liked was a Mesa/Boogie 1x12 combo. I believe this info is correct.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Brooklyn_Born

Post by Brooklyn_Born »

I thought he used a Marshall for live performances though?
Hey man, I am cool, I am the Breeze...

VVFF Rocks Hard!!!
This is not a Hate Forum Vinnie...Capisce!!?
Brooklyn has almost left the Building
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Made 2 B played at maximum volume!!!!! :mrgreen:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(

Post by 1031 »

The weird thing about the Laneys is all you ever seen him use was the cab's and by 88 he was using Carvin x100b's on the back line. These were the ones that said VIN on them, he just took the CAR off I heard tails he said he was using marshals behind it all, but I am not so sure about this. A lot of the clubs he was playing don't have the room for that setup also these were fantastic amps so not sure what the point would be. But who really knows.. we would have to find one of the old backline techs for the real story.
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
TJMonster

Post by TJMonster »

I could of swore I seen pics that had Marshall heads with carvin logos.
Also, I was able to duplicate it pretty close with my Hughes and kettner with a governor pedalin front of it.
If you want to talk Guitars, PM me!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

KittyHawk M1 has a close feel of that VV Mesa Boogie combo ( I tested a 86 KH with an 1982 model Mesa next to each other when I bought the Kitty Hawk ) Maybe the KH is a touch more saggy. I think those Mesa's were good from what I remember.

Talking sound I just had a drink with the Cornford guys. Those are amazing amps. I could have gotten them to do a VV model if I was still in the loop.

[youtube][/youtube]
Bye Bye

Post by 1031 »

TJMonster wrote:I could of swore I seen pics that had Marshall heads with carvin logos.
Also, I was able to duplicate it pretty close with my Hughes and kettner with a governor pedalin front of it.
Its pretty easy to tell which amp is which if you can see a reasonable view, both Carvins and Boogies have EQ slider sections but Boogies are always on the right side combo or head versions and have wide sliders plus most every 80's Boogie have there panel set high on the box . The x100b Carvin heads are all on the left and had small sliders and set low on the box.. combo on the right and set high on the box but still have small sliders, Marshals dont have a slider EQ section. I don't believe Laney did ether.

TJMonster

Post by TJMonster »

Heres where I seen it. at 1:15. looks like a jcm900 with a carvin logo on it.
[youtube][/youtube]
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

tj, i agree with you.
i dont think he used carvin amps or very little.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Damn good eye TJ !!!

Y'see people??? Wouldn't YOU want your guitars made by someone with that keen of an eye for detail???
Get aTJ MONSTER Guitar OR GET FUCKED !!!

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

buddy rich used to do that. he had a contract with Slingerland but he didn't like the Slingerland snares so he used a Rogers Dynasonic and has a Slingerland badge stuck on. I think he also used a Slingerland set that had Vox badges on it due to a contract with them.
Bye Bye

Post by 1031 »

TJMonster wrote:Heres where I seen it. at 1:15. looks like a jcm900 with a carvin logo on it.
Ya those are Marshalls alright, in the live new york 88 footage he is using real carvins on stage. These could have been mock ups for the video. I know he was on tour when they did the video there's a video interview of him saying he has to fly to LA for a Freddy movie song video in the next week. I doubt they would have flown all the gear to LA for a Video shoot. I know Ive seen other mock up amps in videos like that before

You may be on to something TJ this may be the source of the "he used marshall's put other names on them claims"

doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

someone who met him backstage on the ASG tour noticed the Carvins were not plugged but a hidden 50w Marshall was.
Bye Bye
TJMonster

Post by TJMonster »

I thought it was funny that vinnie said on headbangers ball that he smashed 8 guitars for the boys are gonna rock video. Vv models at that. You could see it was a Rhodes and they used the same scenes over and over.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

80s bs . Bands used to spend their time making up stories. It doesn't fly theses days now we are all older.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I pissed on one of my guitars because Vinnie supposedly peed on his . :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

That story seems to actually be true, I think Robert said there was pee smell in the studio afterwards.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
metatron

Post by metatron »

[youtube][/youtube]
Yep, consider me Miles Davis.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
gonnarock

Post by gonnarock »

doublev2 wrote:someone who met him backstage on the ASG tour noticed the Carvins were not plugged but a hidden 50w Marshall was.
Were the amps that said 'Vin' on them custom Carvins?
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I believe they were normal carvins that he used for show rather than plugged into. I believe it must have been after Carvin fell out with Vinnie. He did the same thing to his guitar.
Bye Bye
gonnarock

Post by gonnarock »

doublev2 wrote:I believe they were normal carvins that he used for show rather than plugged into. I believe it must have been after Carvin fell out with Vinnie. He did the same thing to his guitar.
Oh understand that. So, he would have taken off the "car" and just left "vin?" That is actually clever because then it looks like they are his own custom amps with "Vin" being on them. That is interesting.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i know about the carvin thing as i tried to order a carvin vv in 88 not long after vv got his and they told me never mention his name around these parts ( carvin hq) and they would never make another.
Bye Bye
gonnarock

Post by gonnarock »

doublev2 wrote:i know about the carvin thing as i tried to order a carvin vv in 88 not long after vv got his and they told me never mention his name around these parts ( carvin hq) and they would never make another.
That is sad. :( I bet there are some floating around out there somewhere though? Maybe? Would be great to have one!!!! :D
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

only one carvin vinnie vincent made. Just like the Washburn and Ibanez. Made for vv and the idea of producing them. Washburn put out a statement in i think 87 that they were making the vv model and it seemed like they intended to produce it but all fell flat. Even Jackson never managed to put it in the catalog and market it for some reason.
Bye Bye
VVV

Post by VVV »

doublev2 wrote:only one carvin vinnie vincent made. Just like the Washburn and Ibanez. Made for vv and the idea of producing them. Washburn put out a statement in i think 87 that they were making the vv model and it seemed like they intended to produce it but all fell flat. Even Jackson never managed to put it in the catalog and market it for some reason.
I assume he still has all three hidden somewhere...
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

They would be on the warehouse with all the pics.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

in his house , not a warehouse
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

sorry, yes, they are all under his bed in the "warehouse"...lol...
birnie

Post by birnie »

This is all the gear you need to get the authentic Vinnie sound for around $5.00 !

Click click !
:lol: :lol: :lol:
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Birnie = SAGE

NEWBEGINNINGS
metatron

Post by metatron »

birnie wrote:This is all the gear you need to get the authentic Vinnie sound for around $5.00 !

Click click !
:lol: :lol: :lol:
PLUS

[youtube][/youtube]

Equals

VV & his (all new) make beleive Angel Suzie.

SLURP!
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
birnie

Post by birnie »

Oooo la la !
I've saving that for later!
(on night shift by myself tonight) 8) 8) 8)
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

ImageImage

NEWBEGINNINGS
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

The amp Vinnie used live was nothing more than a small, single speaker, Laney practice amp. Propped back, Miked up with a single pedal sitting on top. It sat behind the back line (Carvin stacks ) on the floor. Saw it with my own eyes at Hammerjacks in Baltimore, Md. 1988 ASG tour. I am stretching my memory on this but I believe the pedal was either and Ibanez distortion or delay pedal. The Laney logo had been blacked out.

BTW the pic that is my avatar was taken just a few days later at the Bayou. In Washington D.C
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Laney! Really??? Very interesting!!!! Not a crappy Marshall then!!! :mrgreen:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

Nope.....lol
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Crazy he would use a practice amp and not a regular 100W head unit. Of course you can put a mic in front of anything and play it through the PA, which is clearly what he did as he must have liked the sound.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Yeah but it was probably a 50 watt amp. Plenty of power.
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

I doubt this is the "Exact model" but it is very similar to what he was using at that time.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Laney-LX35D- ... 2c60ebbca1

The one in the link above is most likely a newer version of what he was using.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Hi Fred. Great to hear from you.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

So a Laney like this:

doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

he had a seymour duncan amp too. I don't know if he recorded with it.
Bye Bye
gonnarock

Post by gonnarock »

FREDDYB3 wrote: BTW the pic that is my avatar was taken just a few days later at the Bayou. In Washington D.C
Freddy!!!!! Do you have the original size picture of your avatar picture? Its beautiful!!! :D :D :D :D
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

There's my buddy! Welcome back to posting Fred!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

This would be what it looked like,

This is only a 30 watt model so it may only have a 10" speaker. But that should be pretty much what it looked like..
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

My friend has the exact same 50w laney modified by cornford. Amazing thing. Cornfield amps are so good. They would have even done a vinnie spec amp. I know all the guys.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

The same front panel as my 50 watt head (guess who was my influence to buy a Laney head & quad!!!!???) and it is seriously loud!! The tone pots all have a pull boost. The bass boost is insane! Pretty one dimensional sound though. You'd need a pedal to get a decent distorted tone. Though I'll admit it's never been above 5 so I've probably never heard the full natural amp distortion from it?!
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

Hi everyone... I know I don't post much. But I visit often.

@ Genebaby and Shram ... Yes the pics you posted are pretty much it. As well as the one from the ebay link I posted. Like I said, there maybe slight variations in those models as compared to the one he was using but still very close. I believe the logo on his was more like the top one....offset to the corner, rather then in the middle, but you get the point. Vic, you are correct. The amp was miked and ran through the board as well as any effects he was using. He never used any pedals or foot controllers on stage.

The thing about the small amp is that he probably had little or no "stage volume" , except through the monitors. Must have made things a little more difficult on Bobby. But that is just a "educated assumption".
Maybe a good question to ask Bobby about ?

@ Dino...... What's up Man.....Thanks, good to hear from you too. BTW I think Vinnie listed the
Seymour Duncan stack among the list of amps that made up the "Wall of Amps" that he supposedly used all at once in the studio for the recording of the 1st record. Along with Marshalls and Randall. He gave the list in an interview somewhere around the time.

@ Slayer ...... Thanks Kev...What's going on my good brother ???

@ gonnarock..... Yes I do. I took it... LOL I thought I posted it here on the board before somewhere?
If not I could post it again. Maybe in that section where people were discussing their Vinnie Collection ?

Have a great weekend everyone !