Vinnie and Invasion's gear

Talk about Vinnie's equipment
shramiac

Vinnie and Invasion's gear

Post by shramiac »

Quentin asked me to post this.

Guitars

Jackson Rhoads, one gold, silver, black student model, 2 were believed have been models.

60's Fender Stratocaster; white w/ rosewood fretboard (first seen with Dan Hartman)

Red Charvel, a guitar Vinnie put together when he first joined Kiss, and used during the Creatures tour.

Jackson VVV guitars; Slaughter on the first tour stated there were only a couple of these guitars (3 to 4).
Pink VVV the first one was Emg 81 loaded, and featured a Jackson Ge1000 preamp booster.
Silver/ Purple 1 pickup that was probably a refinished Pink V. Pictured on the "Eurphoria" cover.
This one may have been the light pink color from some of the early VVV photo sessions.
Silver/Purple 2 pickup with Duncan pickups.
VVV from the fanclub photosessions eventually wrapped in tape.

Ibanez VVV (seen in "Love Kills" video)

Carvin VVV (seen in "Time Of Year" and guitar video)

Pear VVV (multicolored finish, Duncan pickups,doesn't feature signature on body built by Tom of Azg guitars, used on Euphoria)

Early demos: rented guitars some were Les Pauls.
Gibson Les Paul (Seen in early club picture before Kiss)
Gibson Les Paul
Early Kiss Performances: Vinnie used some of Pauls' Bc Rich guitars, and Gibson Les Pauls.
Ovation Balladeer (black seen in "Love Kills")
60's Gibson Eds Doubleneck
Carvin dc 6/12 Doubleneck (from "That Time Of Year" video)
Fender Telecaster
Washburn acoustic
Esp Piece of S#i% guitar

Amps

During VVI he used up to 8 amps at once. Amps were mic'ed at 2 or 3 points in the studio. Most the sound is a Jose Arrendondo modded Marshall with Master Volume.
Lany Aor, w/ 4x12 cabinets (both pink, and black used throughout VVI) Cabs featured V30, and Gt75s speakers.
Marshall 4x12's some with H30's.
Rented amps during VVI that could have been S.i.r. (Caswell / Levi) modded Marshalls
Jackson amp
Marshall Jcm 800 2203 with standard Jose mod with extra gain stage, and tube Fx loop
In 88 he had 2 other big box late 70's marshall. They were used as backups.
Carvin 100B seen in promo ads, and in videos but never proven to have been used otherwise.
Live on the first VVI tour a combo amp was mic'ed up behind the Pink Laney cabs. Believed to be either a Crate,or Laney.
Vinnie tried out a Mesa Boogie Colisieum amp for recording the first VVI album, but never used it.
Vinnie used various stompboxes, mostly for delay. In the studio a tape echo. He was also in an Ibanez modeling pedals ad the mentioned using the distortion, and delay.

Studio Recording Gear During VVI
Trident A range console at Cherokee Studios, same console used later on Euphoria as well.
Blackface 1176 compressors, La2a compressor, Pultec eq, Shure sm57's, and condenser mics (in studio).

Akai recorder: Used to record the Soto material at Vinnie's home studio
Drum Machine: possibly Linn models lm-2, lm-9000 of the Akai Linn drum machine.
Fostex Tape Machine (probably model Lynch used)

Accessories

Ernie Ball 9-42 guitar strings. Dean Markley, and Daddrio were used in the studio. Medium Heavy gauge guitar picks (60/70mm)
Pickups: Duncan Custom, Jb, and Emg 81. Jackson preamp boosters were used on various guitars.

Drums used throughout

Bobby rock used Pearl, and Ludwigs in early VVI studio sessions. The Sonor kit was 2x 16x26 Bass drums, 9x10,10x12, & 12x14 Standard Rack Toms, 6,8,10 Remo Roto Toms and 16x16 & 18x18 floors. He used Sabian cymbals.
Andre LaBelle on Euphoria used a Ludwig traditional kit that belonged to Carmine Appice who also worked with Vinnie. The snare was a Slingerland Steel 6.5x14. He also used Sabian cymbals w/ 3 crashes, 1 ride, 1 china, and hihats.

Dana's Basses: White & Black Arbor Bass which was build by a company in Japan, loaded with Duncan Vintage P bass. Black Fender P bass with Natural fretboard (studio bass). 500w Carvin, and Sunn Bass amps, with 1x15 cabs, and Dean Markley strings.

Cheers.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev

drums

Post by doublev »

Good list.
One small correction. The carmine Apice set was the slingerland that Vinnie borrowed from him. My understanding is Vinnie liked the Ludwig's best after tests and had Andre change heads on the snare daily. Carmine was a slingerland user until very recently. My understanding is Jack scarangella of treasure was vinnie's favorite drummer he worked with.
doublev

club picture

Post by doublev »

Also just one more thing. The club picture before kiss with the les Paul and the silver glitter shirt turns out is not Vinnie. The hair is more curly if you look closer. I have been told its definitely not him. Looks more like Paul actually.
I do love quentins lists.
D
doublev

strings

Post by doublev »

One more thing. Vv also used seymour Duncan strings in 87 and they even offered trading cards in the packs of Duncan endorsees.
shramiac

Re: strings

Post by shramiac »

doublev wrote:One more thing. Vv also used seymour Duncan strings in 87 and they even offered trading cards in the packs of Duncan endorsees.
COOL! Never knew that! Damn! I was using GHS strings back then!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
mp5999

Post by mp5999 »

it would sure be cool to have all the pics up of the guitars like the old forum used to have. I always got a kick out of looking thru them. Or even pics of the various VVV's that are about, I think I remember the snakeskin one that looked badass as well as someone who owned a pink/silver one.
teej

Post by teej »

yep I still have the snakeskin .. it still looks great ;)
Quentin Aaron

Post by Quentin Aaron »

I forgot to add that Vinnie also had a Sunn amp I believe before Kiss.
doublev

Post by doublev »

yes. i remember you finding that out Q.
wolfgang161272

Post by wolfgang161272 »

What all of you found out is amazing! I never heard or red it! Great news for me!
Quentin Aaron

Post by Quentin Aaron »

I forgot which model it was exactly.
ankh

Post by ankh »

some interesting tidibits here and there....

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/show ... 0&t=155778
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, some interesting tidbits. Rick played on ALL of Exciter because Vinnie didn't show up?
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev

Post by doublev »

interesting. i think vv got pissed because gene was fucking around with his solos. he was merging solos from all over the place on some songs. for someone like vv i can see why he would have not showed up. I am glad Marty Friedman never joined kiss, that kind of thing would have killed him.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev wrote:interesting. i think vv got pissed because gene was fucking around with his solos. he was merging solos from all over the place on some songs. for someone like vv i can see why he would have not showed up. I am glad Marty Friedman never joined kiss, that kind of thing would have killed him.
... and Kiss as well.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS