Greetings from Serbia

Say hello and introduce yourself here
PeraStation

Greetings from Serbia

Post by PeraStation »

Hi there.

The name's Marko, I'm from a small industrial town, near Belgrade, Serbia.

I've been a VV fan from around this time (fall) 2014.
A friend visited me back then for a hangout, and we ended up talking about best "80's rock/glam" ballads.
She started playing me her favorites on YouTube. I remember, when I've heard "That Time Of Year" and "Love Kills", those were the only ones I wanted to Bookmark. She told me "Oh man, you gotta love Vinnie! Be sure to check out the rest from him.", and so I did the next day.
I'm always more attached to a melody than the lyrics in songs, and being that most of those 80's rock ballads have that kind of same "formula", not every song has some specific part, or a piece of melody, that triggers my feelings... but these two surely had it.
I wanted to hear more from Vinnie, so I started my research on albums and browsing/listening the songs on YouTube.
The more I looked and listened, the more I was interested. Usually, when things start going that far, I always go on Discogs website for more details on the artists' works.
Now, let me get this straight. I was never a KISS fan. Not that I hate them or anything, I just never got the appeal to listen to them. I just had a peek at few songs (Forever and Reason To Live are good ones to me), but I never even fully listened to Creatures Of The Night or Lick It Up albums, even after becoming a "VV fan". Lick It Up is nothing special of a song to me. It does have that "r'n'r groove", but the groove is not the main thing that counts.
Take music industry in last years, for example. Everybody's trying hard for that synthetic "hi-end" production, all those "deep basses" and grooves... but then again, it's a rare occasion when a song leaves a mark in your ear and make you want to listen to it, whole day on repeat. Not while you're washing dishes or sawing wood, but really sit down, relax and listen to it with your headphones.
As far as I'm concerned, the production can be as bad as "recorded on a phone, in the toilet", but if there's a good melody and harmony magic, I'll sure notice it... Just like VV's demo and working tracks. Damn, there are some fine, fine songs! Over You, Gipsy In Your Eyes, Tears, Forbidden... just to name a few. Can't even decide which versions I like the most. Back On The Streets... from the one that is claimed to be original (where's Vinnie on vocals), all the way to John Norum version. Okay, maybe VV's keyboard version, with Edman on vocals has the strongest impact to me... probably because of those fantastic back vocals - "Tell me that I'm wrong... (it's all in my miiiiind)..."
The melodies and chord arrangements talent that Vinnie has, it's really something unique.
As me, being a fan of various music genres, I remember the day when a piece of VV solo melody re-appeared in my head... The whole day, I was trying to remember which song was it from. "It has too much of that 'Italian' vibe, but it's not a ballad..."
Later I figured it's a solo from Ashes To Ashes. Not just that squeaky piece of solo melody, but the chords were always a mystery. It's not like, just a common combination of "suspended chords" that were heavily used in the 80's and I'm a big fan of... It's a solid proof how Vinnie actually used his knowledge in musical education, instead of "tricks" that most rock (self-taught) musicians do (riffs and other simplified methods).
I've tried to replicate those chords, just to figure out the "formula" behind it, with a bit of help from some tabs that I found on the internet, and "it's there" but not 100%.
Not saying that there were (and are) no other educated and talented guitarists/musicians, but we're talking about VV here.
Hopefully, someday, we get a proper VV songbook. :)

Well, I've typed more than necessary for an introduction post, but just saying "hi" would be too rude.
I was following this forum from time to time, to flash-check on VV News, and some interesting info, but I never registered, as I thought I'm not competent enough to participate in discussions. I still don't think I am, but "VV comeback" news really cheered me up... kind of made me do it.
And it would probably happen anyhow... some day.

Cheers to all, and sorry if this was too long! 8)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Serbia

Post by Genebaby »

Hey man, nIce post and welcome to the VVFF.

You are quite fine to participate here, we are all about being fans of Vinnie's music.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Howdy !!!!
Your enthusiasm is great !!!!
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
rosieohio

Post by rosieohio »

Hey Marko! Welcome aboard!
AnkhWarrior

Post by AnkhWarrior »

Hallo. Welcome :) very good introduction!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Great first post, Marko!

Have fun here, lots to see.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Cernex

Post by Cernex »

Now that's what I call enthusiasm! Welcome to the forums!
Space Galleon Javelin - My space opera web serial. It's free! And complete! Go check it out.
Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon Author page, for if you want to check my fiction and stuff.
PeraStation

Post by PeraStation »

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome!

Forums are kind of "old skool" stuff these days, I can't really remember the last time I was actively following and participating in some community.
Oh, the good ol' days...
As I've said, I was visiting this place before for news and stuff, but being that a lot of things happened in the meantime, I forgot some of it...
Before I start posting stupid questions or open up threads that already exist, I'll have to do a quick re-cap and see what I remember and what did I miss (it might take some time). So, if it happens that I make a clone post, or ask something that has already been answered, please, just point me to the right thread and I'll delete mine.

I guess that would be it. See you in the threads! 8)
wolfgang161272

Post by wolfgang161272 »

Hey Mako,

Great post you've done!
Greetings from Germany,
Wolfi
PeraStation

Post by PeraStation »

Thanks, Wolfgang!

I've been to Germany twice with my band, we performed on Donaufest (Ulm, last year) and Musicnacht (Biberach, this year).
We really had some great time there. Gotta love the German organization and efficiency, we've forgot what that means here in Serbia. Also, we met some cool new friends there. Can't wait until our next visit. :)