VVI using backing tracks when playing live

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
aeroflott

VVI using backing tracks when playing live

Post by aeroflott »

Bit quiet round these parts recently, so here goes.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, maybe I missed it. I was watching this live video today and couldn't help noticing how perfect sounding the backing vocals are during the choruses. They are clearly piped in from tape and VV and Dana are miming.

Having read Bobby's book about VV's pursuit of perfection on the drum tracks when recording in the studio, I guess this is another thing he wanted to do, to ensure the VVI live experience was as "good" and authentic to the original recordings as it could be?

The problem for me listening back to this, is the vocals sound too perfect vs the rawness of the live lead vocals, guitar and drums. It doesn't work and is anything but authentic. I'm wondering if Bobby was using a click track too?
shramiac

Re: VVI using backing tracks when playing live

Post by shramiac »

Yes! There's no doubt Bobby would have had a click in his ear to get the timing right for the backing vocals.

I never liked that they did this. I prefer the "grunts" from a live performance.

At worst, maybe some guys in the crew singing live to fill it out... like how ex Dream Theater keyboardist, Derek Sherinian, filled out Paul Stanley's guitar on the Revenge tour.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, it sounds out of place, and Bobby would have a click to be in time. This is how mistakes are made, when you do this so often, it's bound to go astray at some point.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
pullitt

Post by pullitt »

Had it been an arena show, it'd probably be alright, especially by today's standards. They started out playing semi-big venues, but quickly became a club act.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

That probably makes it a bit more strange, seeing it at that level where you're so close and things like that are more obvious.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
aeroflott

Post by aeroflott »

Yeah good point. It sounds jarring in the video because the venue is so intimate.