Ace Frehley Shares Opinion on Other Ex-Kiss Guitarists, Explains What He Likes About Vinnie Vincent's Musicianship UG

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
Luxor

Ace Frehley Shares Opinion on Other Ex-Kiss Guitarists, Explains What He Likes About Vinnie Vincent's Musicianship UG

Post by Luxor »

Ace Frehley Shares Opinion on Other Ex-Kiss Guitarists, Explains What He Likes About Vinnie Vincent's Musicianship

UG Exclusive: "I never had a problem with any of these people. But for some reason, Paul had a problem with a lot of them. And Gene."

For the whole thing:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/in ... nship.html

Last year, you got to play with Vinnie Vincent and Bruce Kulick at Creatures Fest 2022. Was that your first time ever meeting Vinnie, and what was that like?

"It was real interesting. Very few people believe that all these years, I had never met Vinnie Vincent. And it wasn't because I was trying to avoid him or vice versa. It's just somehow, somehow, our paths never crossed. But we got along famously. I didn't realize he was a lot shorter than me. But other than that, he got there and played some nice guitar licks. We jammed together, and it was a fun night. I was there with Vinnie… and I think Peter Criss was there, and Bruce Kulick – I'm really good friends with Bruce."

"It's really funny – I'm friends with all the guys in Kiss. Even Eric Singer is a dear friend of mine. And now I'm friends with Vinnie. I never had a problem with any of these people. But for some reason, Paul had a problem with a lot of them. And Gene. But I'd rather not even talk about those guys since they're retired and their career is winding down while mine is taking off. So, that's kind of nice."
Would you ever consider doing a full tour with Vinnie and/or Bruce – as three former Kiss guitarists?

"I don't particularly see that happening in the future. I kind of like to run my own show and have my own band. Because think about it – how many solo albums do I have out? And I also do some Kiss favorites when I perform. So, it would be really tough to work with other guitar players who also have songs that they've written. There wouldn't be enough time – it would be a three-hour show. And at age 72, I don't feel like doing a three-hour show. I'm much happier being my own boss and working with people that I enjoy working with. There's no alcohol allowed backstage, and I surround myself with positive people. Any type of negativity… goodbye. They're vampires – they drain you. I try to surround myself with positive people, and if you're getting loaded or you're doing drugs, you're gone."

What did you think of Vinnie's playing? Because he played on two Kiss albums, "Creatures of the Night" and "Lick It Up."

"He's a good guitar player. Even Paul has said in interviews that Vinnie is a really good songwriter. I never dissected any of his songwriting, but from what I understand, he was a really good songwriter. I think he's a good guitar player. None of us can play exactly the way we did when we were in our twenties – because age catches up with you a little. But you do your best. But Bruce is an excellent musician – he's actually technically a better guitar player than me. I'd be the first to say that. But I have a certain style that I've developed over the years, that even if it's a little sloppy, people always can recognize Ace Frehley solos. At least that's what I'm reading when I read comments on YouTube."

"I get it, because I'm a blues-based rock guitarist, and a lot of times, my solos – rather than playing fast like Yngwie, for example – I would rather play a slower, melodic solo that people can hum. Because if you're playing like 50 notes in a measure, it's pretty hard to hum. [Laughs] I remember when Cream came out with 'Sunshine of Your Love,' and Clapton did a really cool melodic solo – I think part of his solo he stole from the song 'Blue Moon.' Those are the people I studied growing up as a teenager playing guitar. I studied Eric Clapton, I studied Jimi Hendrix, I studied Jimmy Page big-time… Jeff Beck. Another great guitar player I was lucky to have met at the Iridium Club in Manhattan. Unfortunately, he passed away too recently."

"People are dropping like flies – I don't get it. I just went to my doctor the other day, and he said, 'Ace, I've been tracking your blood work over the last three or four years. Every year, it gets better. You're the only patient I have who is aging in reverse!' Being sober and eating organically and working out – there's a big difference there. I try to stay away from the junk food. Even though sometimes I fall into the pitfalls of that on the road. Because there's nothing else to eat, and I can't eat before shows – I have to eat at least three hours prior to getting on stage – or else it slows me down. So, I might have to end up eating a cheeseburger – which I normally don't eat at home. But be that as it may, it works."
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV