Ace Frehley: "And now I'm friends with Vinnie"

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
Luxor

Ace Frehley: "And now I'm friends with Vinnie"

Post by Luxor »

I think its time Ace puts "Back on The Streets" in his setlist like the old days!

https://blabbermouth.net/news/ace-frehl ... tures-fest
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Ace Frehley: "And now I'm friends with Vinnie"

Post by Genebaby »

Ace is certainly saying a lot of things lately. I don't think he and Vinnie have ever, or will be, hanging out soon.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
drmoorejr

Post by drmoorejr »

Genebaby wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:26 pm Ace is certainly saying a lot of things lately. I don't think he and Vinnie have ever, or will be, hanging out soon.
I agree. Ace at least gets out and plays concerts. Vinnie is just posting on Facebook.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ace is releasing real videos of new songs, with an album shortly. He's doing it all while Vinnie posts stupid things on Facebook.

Vinnie might not like to see someone post that, but it is the reality. It's up to him to change the narrative.
drmoorejr

Post by drmoorejr »

Genebaby wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:37 am Ace is releasing real videos of new songs, with an album shortly. He's doing it all while Vinnie posts stupid things on Facebook.

Vinnie might not like to see someone post that, but it is the reality. It's up to him to change the narrative.
I hard a story once where a bull that was laying in a pasture went to stand up and he inadvertently put his hoof on his penis... and he stood up he caused severe damage to his vital reproductive tool.. The bull had to be put down. Not sure how true the story is.. but Vinnie situation with his facebook posts seem to remind me of the story of that bull. Maybe Vinnie trips over his ego so much that he is paralyzed to the point he cannot actually do anything musical. Or simply the time on facebook takes up all his energy.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I hear what you're saying.

It seems that crackpot schemes and nothing of any worth is what we have to look forward to from Vinnie.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Probably the best song Frehleys Comet ever did. It's a shame Vinnie didn't allow Ace to release it. But it would have sucked with Tod singing it. So much better with R.S.

"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Lux,
Do you like this version? I like some Richie Scarlet songs but for me this is not Richie at his best. Ace sounds terrible as he often does sadly with a thin brittle AM Radio sounding tone and his inability to phrase. Just the same 4 or 5 patterns that he recycles in every song over the past 50 years. It is sad because even though Ace is clean now he looks like he has damaged himself and his playing and is unable to progress and improve. Sadly, Ace can't play anywhere near as well as he could in 1977 even though he has been clean for many years. Back on the Streets is a great song but this is a terrible version for me. This really stands out because there are a number of very good versions out there but not from Ace I'm sorry to say. In the end though differences of opinion make the world a better and less boring place and I'm glad that you like this if you do.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Slayer wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:45 am Lux,
Do you like this version? I like some Richie Scarlet songs but for me this is not Richie at his best. Ace sounds terrible as he often does sadly with a thin brittle AM Radio sounding tone and his inability to phrase. Just the same 4 or 5 patterns that he recycles in every song over the past 50 years. It is sad because even though Ace is clean now he looks like he has damaged himself and his playing and is unable to progress and improve. Sadly, Ace can't play anywhere near as well as he could in 1977 even though he has been clean for many years. Back on the Streets is a great song but this is a terrible version for me. This really stands out because there are a number of very good versions out there but not from Ace I'm sorry to say. In the end though differences of opinion make the world a better and less boring place and I'm glad that you like this if you do.
Yes, I've liked it since I got a copy of Ace's SIR (1984) set in 1985 or 1986. I loved that show. I still don't know why Animal wasn't on a record. I loved "Remember Me". How did it take until 1989 to get that on a FC/Ace cd when all SS was ... was filler?

I still think Vinnie's is the best. I would love to hear all the versions KISS recorded. Pauls, Gene's, Eric.

I would have much rather Ace had released this than John Norum's version. Even though I would have preferred G.E. to M.S. in the band. I don't care if he would have pronounced Vinnie's name Winnie. ha ha

The 80's were a great time. It was so good to be able to see Vinnie live, Ace live, Kiss. I didn't catch Peter with Balls of Fire in the 80's.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I wasn't aware that an artist had to have the permission and blessing of the writers to cover a song. It seems like a lot of covers would not be around if that was the case.

If Ace didn't want this released he would have had his reasons, rather than Vinnie not allowing him.

Heck, I should release my own version.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Genebaby wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:11 am I wasn't aware that an artist had to have the permission and blessing of the writers to cover a song. It seems like a lot of covers would not be around if that was the case.

If Ace didn't want this released he would have had his reasons, rather than Vinnie not allowing him.

Heck, I should release my own version.
Wrong as usual! When will you ever learn, unlike DoubleV, I know what I'm talking about. And they need permission from the publisher of the song and Vinnie had the publishing.

If I remember correctly, Vinnie didn't have a problem with Ace including it on his album. Ace and the label wanted that to be the lead off single. Which I think is far far better than "Into The Night".

When Ace (label) requested it, it was probably in late 1986. Vinnie would have had no idea about Roberts lawsuit etc. "Back On The Streets" was planned to be the 2nd single/video. So its easy to see why Vinnie wouldn't want to competing singles out around the same time.

Unfortunately, Robert was a POS who sued and f'd up that album having 2-3 singles/videos.

https://www.bmi.com/news/entry/the-ups- ... gs-on-hold
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Hmmm........

A common misconception in the music industry is that you need to get permission from a copyright owner in order to cover a song. In reality, you can go straight to securing a compulsory mechanical license — required by law as part of the 1909 Copyright Act — and compensating the rights holder for their work.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Genebaby wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:53 am Hmmm........

A common misconception in the music industry is that you need to get permission from a copyright owner in order to cover a song. In reality, you can go straight to securing a compulsory mechanical license — required by law as part of the 1909 Copyright Act — and compensating the rights holder for their work.
And what did Ace/his label want to do??? They wanted to release it as the first single/video. Now you go on and tell me how they are going to do that without approval?

Whose permission do you need? Oh that's right, the publisher.

Just like I pointed out, Vinnie didn't have a problem with him putting it on his album. But he wasn't going to let them release it as the lead off single/video. And that the publisher controls. Gotta get that synch license and pay the licensing fee.

And that's why Ace didn't have "Back On The Streets" to kick off his album.

Also, what if Ace /FC were to do that live (as a song off the album)? What would they need for it to air on TV back then?

Kinda ridiculous to try and put out a song if you can't promote it.

Not getting synch licenses has screwed up many people. Ask Mark Cuban! ha ha What a screw up! Back when he owned AXS-TV and doing rock shows at the Bomb Factory. :lol:
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Sigh.....
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Genebaby wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:40 amSigh.....
Reality stinks doesn't it??
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Vinnie can't stop Ace releasing it, thats not possoble. the mechanical license is law and I am sure he didn't want him not to put it out anyway.
Luxor wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:25 am Probably the best song Frehleys Comet ever did. It's a shame Vinnie didn't allow Ace to release it. But it would have sucked with Tod singing it. So much better with R.S.

Bye Bye
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

doublev2 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:37 pm Vinnie can't stop Ace releasing it, thats not possoble. the mechanical license is law and I am sure he didn't want him not to put it out anyway.

He can certainly stop him from releasing it as a video. If you would have actually paid attention you would have known that. As I said, Vinnie was fine with him including the song on his album. He didn't want it to be the first lead off single/video. And that, he (as the publisher) could stop.

So once Ace couldn't get it, he went to another "cover" as his lead off single/video

Ace loved cover tunes to put out videos with
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Back On The Streets - FC Demo 1985
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

no snyone csn cover a song. yes they have to pay the royalties to the writer but no need for permission
Luxor wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:04 am
doublev2 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:37 pm Vinnie can't stop Ace releasing it, thats not possoble. the mechanical license is law and I am sure he didn't want him not to put it out anyway.

He can certainly stop him from releasing it as a video. If you would have actually paid attention you would have known that. As I said, Vinnie was fine with him including the song on his album. He didn't want it to be the first lead off single/video. And that, he (as the publisher) could stop.

So once Ace couldn't get it, he went to another "cover" as his lead off single/video

Ace loved cover tunes to put out videos with
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Exactly, you can record what you want and release it as a single should you wish to. There will be no more delusions from Luxie wuxie
pullitt

Post by pullitt »

In the same article Ace says he won't tour/play with anybody else. Too much hassle.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Slayer wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:45 am Lux,
Is that ACE even singing or some of the Comet members?
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Holy Cow! Norum's version took a shit on Ace's clusterfuck.

Ugh those pull-offs he does all the time, that he thinks makes him sound fast. :oops:

Norum's version the most "single worthy" version of the three tbh.

Love the original though.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(