10 iconic Kiss guitars that powered rock's most outrageous band

Post by Luxor »

10 iconic Kiss guitars that powered rock's most outrageous band

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/ic ... ss-guitars
Vinnie Guitar 1.png
Vinnie Guitar 1.png (724.42 KiB) Viewed 3441 times
Vinnie Guitar 2.png
Vinnie Guitar 2.png (111.87 KiB) Viewed 3441 times

Shame, to hear once again a dude pushing the "Myth" Vinnie was fired.
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: 10 iconic Kiss guitars that powered rock's most outrageous band

Post by Genebaby »

I read that in my news feed and it was so stupid, I wished I could comment and tell them how wrong they are on many counts, this one included.

The Rhoads V was too much for KISS? The Over The Top theatrical band where people flew, spit blood and fire etc? I think not!

Also, look at the guitars of Paul, he had the cracked mirror Iceman, he has played various V's before and did so on Creatures and LIU tours.

Heck, he even had an actual star shaped guitar in 1980 to match his makeup.

Yeah, I don't think it was a big stress that Vinnie had the Rhoads. He was lucky to get it, even though he didn't use it for every show on the Creatures tour. He had to make do with strats, LP's and a BC Rich, the poor guy.

Vinnie also never modified the Rhoads to add the second V, that came after KISS as we all should know and was it's own model with Jackson (and then others).

That article is trash and I can't beleive it appeared in Guitar World. No respect for them.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Indeed! That article is full of crap!

Ummm..... Gene had an axe shaped bass. An AXE SHAPED BASS!!!!!!

Never mind the BC Rich Ironbirds Paul and Bruce played just a couple of years later!

And the weird holo finish Hamer Scarab Paul used in the Heaven's on Fire video.

Actually, there's a passing resemblance between the Scarab and Vinnie's Rarebird.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The Scarab was after Vinnie, but yes, I forgot about Gene's Axe basses. That article is garbarge. Shame on you Guitar World. People that don't know better will beleive it and think, wow, look what Vinnie did.

More like, hey, Vinnie needs a cool guitar, let's get him one.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Genebaby wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:47 am The Scarab was after Vinnie, but yes, I forgot about Gene's Axe basses. That article is garbarge. Shame on you Guitar World. People that don't know better will beleive it and think, wow, look what Vinnie did.

More like, hey, Vinnie needs a cool guitar, let's get him one.
The shittiest part of it.... Grover wanted to market the guitar as the VV Model and of course who refused to let him do that deal? Gene & Paul. Such great guys!
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Really? The VV model? Not when Randy designed it and died while it was being finished. It was going to be called The Concorde, but could only ever be The Randy Rhoads after his passing.

The Rhoads family letting their son's/brother's guitar be called the VV? The what now?

Vinnie got his own very cool guitar later on, and kudos to him, it's a killer 80's guitar, but no way would Grover or anybody associated with that guitar ever want to call it anything other than a Rhoads model.

Vinnie was SUPER lucky to get to play it considering he was a nobody and KISS was hardly doing great business. Jackson was cool in those days, supporting the young guys on the way up, and the old guys on the way down.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

I'm trying to remember what Gene and Paul said when they turned that down. Why should we allow you to be a star when you can leave at anytime?

Something like that.

Gene and Paul could have had a true guitar hero in their band and they blew it. And by the time Gene tried to get him to come back, it was too late. Vinnie was too happy with how his new music was turning out.

Then we had to endure Mark in KISS and a weak Animalize and then all those bad/average albums with Bruce, except Revenge, where they had to get Vinnie back to help them because they had F'd up so bad.

KISS really could have been a force in the 80's. Gene and Paul blew it. Paul's ego and their cheapskatedness
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It's true, KISS could have had a guitar hero, and they could have ruled the 80's. I have said this a few times before already. If only they could have put up with Vinnie, but after that burn they played it safe and did OK, but not as great as they wanted. Possibly it would never have worked out no matter what as they had the KISS name holding them back with many people.

How many of us got asked, aren't KISS dead? over the years? People didn't even know what KISS was doing so it may not have mattered if they had followed up with more amazing albums like LIU.

For what they are I do enjoy and like the other 80's albums, as I like the ones before as I seem to like what Gene and Paul and whoever is in KISS, is doing. I'm a KISS fan, you obviously are not, which is fine, but the other 80's albums aren't trash. They are not as good as LIU, but they are very enjoyable. Someone else, who shall not be named, could not understand that. Fuck I love those new songs on KILLERS too, they are great fun.

But no, there would never be a Jackson Vinnie Vincent in 1982/83. It could only be the Rhoads at the point of Randy's passing, and it would have been The Concorde otherwise. Maybe Vinnie fed them some bull? Maybe it never happened and Vinnie just made it up so they seem mean. That makes sense as the naming of the guitar has nothing to do with Gene and Paul? Did they design it? Was their company building it? No. So why the fuck would they have any say in what it was called. It was all Jackson and the grieving Rhoads family, so calling bullshit on that story seems like the way to go.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

So this picture of 1980 KISS popped up in my feed.

Check out their boring and contemporary guitars! NOT!!!!
FB_IMG_1689753396917.jpg
pullitt

Post by pullitt »

The one thing wrong with this picture is the lack of space between the members.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It seems to be an inbetween take, check out the guys arm on the left of the shot.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Weird drum kit too. Must have cobbled some kits together for the shoot. Don't look like Ludwig's, like the first pictures we saw of Eric with a Premier kit with the bass drum logo taped over. Nice Paiste gong! I always wondered if Eric used Peter's old cymbals on his first tour but the gong indicates that he used Paiste's from the beginning. 8) 8) 8)

There's me off topic again! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I think this is when they taped some songs in Europe, lip syncing to them? Talk To Me and She's so European? So probably not his real kit maybe.