How Vinnie Fans Broke Slaughter

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
VVArchives

How Vinnie Fans Broke Slaughter

Post by VVArchives »

So I was wrong. I said MTV ignored "Up All Night" for rotation for 4 weeks. It was actually longer than that. Vinnie got added immediately etc. But MTV sure didn't like Slaughter to begin with. They actually kept it out of rotation for 5 weeks!

Stick It To Ya was released and had already moved up to #90 on the charts without any rotation at all.

I think that DoubleV should be ashamed to ever post on here again after being destroyed so bad.

Too bad it was all Vinnie fans who kept Slaughter afloat and responsible for all those initial album sales etc. That was the power of the huge VVI fan base. Chrysalis is on record for giving the credit to Vinnie Vincent Invasion fans. They know without them, Slaughter might have never done anything.

Unbelievable how long it took to finally add Up All Night into rotation. Just crazy

This is one of the many reasons Chrysalis pointed out how important VVI and the Invasion fans were towards breaking Slaughter on MTV in the issue of Billboard

Might as well cover the Slaughter & Forever since they hit the same week

Wk1 Slaughters video was released 2-3 Billboard but not put in rotation on MTV / Forever was added to MTV that week

Wk 2 2-10 Forever Active / Up All Night still not in rotation

Week 3 2-17 Forever Active / Up all Night still not in rotation Stick It To Ya debuts at #130

Week 4 2-24 Forever Active / Up All Not not in rotation Stick It To Ya moves up to #94

Week 5 3-3 Forever moves into Heavy rotation / Up All Night still not in rotation Stick It To Ya moves up to #90

Week 6 3-10 Forever Heavy 2nd wk / Up All Night FINALLY gets "added" to rotation / Up All Night #39 Album Rock Charts (in 7th wk) / SITY #82

Also in the 6-30-1990 issue of Billboard:
"Slaughter used a SOLID heavy metal following created from their involvement with Vinnie Vincent Invasion to cross over on their debut album at Chrysalis. Since its release in January the album has sold more than 700,000 copies and held the #1 most requested slot on Dial MTV for 7 weeks".

Funny how the haters and liars and their "memories" are so horrible.

And again the June 15th 1991 "Slaughter Makes A Killing Via Label Plan: Chrysalis' 5 Phase Promo Breaks Band Big"

They may seem like an overnight sensation to the industry but this bands been working at it for years, says John Sykes, President of Chrysalis North America. He refers specifically to Mark Slaughter and Dana Strum's stint with the Vinnie Vincent Invasion prior to forming Slaughter and observes the NEW BAND BENEFTITTED GREATLY FROM THE PREVIOUS ONE'S FAN CLUB BASE.

Joe Kiener, Vice Chairman / CEO of Chrysalis North America also credits HOLDER SUPPORT FOR JUMP STARTING THE SLAUGHTER PROJECT, he breaks it down to a five phase campaign.

----

The second phase came from the album's release and the video's rotation on Headbanger's Ball. AGAIN, KIERNER CITES SLAUGHTER's EXISTING FAN CLUB BASE FROM VINNIE VINCENT INVASION FOR GENERATING REQUESTS TO MTV AND RADIO IN TURN...GENERATING INITIAL SALES
VVArchives

Re: How Vinnie Fans Broke Slaughter

Post by VVArchives »

Now lets look at the video airplay BOYZ are got. Vinnie got more airplay for Boyz than KISS did "Crazy Nights"
But remember, the haters & liars claimed Vinnie even got any rotation. But yet, he beat KISS!

And that first month of sales from Invasion that set a record for Chrysalis (that still stood even after Slaughter)...

9-13 1996 Billboard Reviews Invasion

9-20 Billboard
Album Rock (page 10). Topping the list of hot new album cuts -- Vinnie Vincent Invasion
Vinnie's album was even topping the new Bon Jovi cuts!

VINNIE VINCENT INVASION debuts at #129 (almost 2 months before 1st video released)

Boyz was added to MTV Nov 15th issue billboard 1986

Vinnie's 2nd week on the playlist it was added to Breakout Rotation

The 3rd fucking week it was already in Medium Rotation

The 4th week it moved up even higher to Active Rotation (one step below Heavy rotation)

That 4th week in Active, Vinnie was there with Tina Turner, Bob Geldof, Smithereens, Robert Cray Band ... Or the 7th week in ROTATION on MTv

In its 8th week it moved back down to medium where Iron Maiden had been stuck for 4 weeks I believe.

9th week it was gone

Guess who were in the lowly "light rotation" when Invasion left
Ratt, Poison, Tesla, Paul McCartney ....

So Boyz Are Gonna Rock hard

2 wks Breakout
2 wks Medium
4 wks Active

Vinnie kicked KISS's ass on video airplay with the lead off single/videos.

Lets look at Crazy Nights for comparison

6 weeks Medium
1 week Active

Kiss got 1 less week in rotation for CCN
Kiss had 3 weeks less in Active (right under Heavy) than Vinnie got.
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

And what's also funny, "Love Kills" spent numerous weeks in Medium Rotation on MTV (remember, the trolls claim Vinnie never got any rotation) but it was also a #1 Dial-MTV hit numreous times and on that list almost everyday during its time.

VVI was in countless magazines, you name it. Hugely successful tours with Maiden and Cooper. And they were supposed to kick off ASG opening for Aerosmith (but that was scrubbed when Chrysalis pres (not John Sykes..he was later) pushed back the release and f'd everything up.

Mark and Dana had a huge fan base already built up because of Vinnie Vincent Invasion. They were in countless magazines all during the time after Invasion prior to the release of Stick It To Ya. They also had EMI money behind their push. But without VVI fans, they would have gone nowhere.

Facts are a wonderful thing
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Where are you getting these facts from?
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

I had no idea about how much Invasion was played. Also, very surprising about Slaughter. Odd how there was zero demand for KISS to tour outside the states to support Hot In The Shade. But then the album didn't sell much at all anywhere in the world it seems.
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

There was almost no demand for KISS to tour HITS in the US!!!

What I did think was funny that I seem to remember every tour listed as a World Tour, I guess Canada counts as another country right?

Also, I have the Smashes, Thrashes T-shirt and it says Live Tour '89 on the back. Smashes live tour? Ummmm....no, LoL.
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

Genebaby wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:35 pm Where are you getting these facts from?
Is that a f'ing joke?! Seriously?

There I go listing source after source?! WTF? Do you not even know what Billboard Magazine is??!

Because when I brought receipts for all that shit and you say something like that??! I tend to think you are John Fetterman.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I don't know what a John Fetterman is. Is that some kind of American joke the world does not understand?

What reciepts?
pullitt

Post by pullitt »

Genebaby wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:03 pm I don't know what a John Fetterman is. Is that some kind of American joke the world does not understand?
I know what a John Fetterman is! It is an alcoholic drink with a sexy name!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Is it? That's strange. I hardly drink. Either way, I wasn't going to Google anything to find out what I got called. Which reminds me, I have been a bit too easy on old Archives. I do have a pretty easy going nature and long standing members will know I don't like banning people etc, but I've finally realised the behaviour is not right. This will be addressed.
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

Lets hope everyone realizes that everything is backed up above with the Billboard issues. Facts with receipts
pullitt

Post by pullitt »

Genebaby wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:53 am This will be addressed.
Demand a copy of that DVD from one of his bashes for allowing Vinnie to stay ))
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Oh yeah, you reminded me. Didn't Vinnie announce there would be a DVD or similar released from one of those parties?

Is that what you're referring to?

birnie

Post by birnie »

He said he was 'hoping' to release a DVD
this does not equal MAKING a DVD
(sorry, i didn't bring my receipt)
Geeze, you with your lies AGAIN !
[end sarcasm]
Genebaby
Site Admin