VVI Self titled VS All Systems Go

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
pinkrhoads

VVI Self titled VS All Systems Go

Post by pinkrhoads »

I read something a few days ago somewhere that said Vinnie wished ASG was never recorded as the vocals were unlistenable, (apologies if this has been spoke about before), I personally find ASG to be much more solid with the song writing and the vocals less raspy and more glamish. The production is also much better, so I’m happy it was made in the end up.

In your opinion, do you prefer ASG or VVI? Why?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: VVI Self titled VS All Systems Go

Post by Genebaby »

Vinnie has real issues with ASG, he basically denounces it.

Many fans, like me and you really do like the album.

I can't say I like it better than the first. They are so different and I like them both for different reasons.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

VVI for the win, but do like ASG.
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

There is lots of goods stuff on ASG.
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

I prefer Invasion over ASG by miles!

I wish Vinnie had redone ASG in the "Invasion" or "Guitarmageddon" style years ago. Great songs. It just needed the over the top greatness and a better lead singer.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Invasion
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Tip to Invasion but Breakout is my favourite Vinnie song... and close to my favourite VVI solo too. Tough choice for me with that and Do Ya Wanna Make Love.

Love the raw sound on the first album but also love the polished sound on the second.

Both have their strong and weak points. Baby-O and Invasion are the weakest tracks on the first and there is an obvious "punch-in" on one of the songs that stands out like dog's balls to me but, I won't ruin it for everyone else by saying which song! Oh and of course the fact that the first album was sped up half a tone....unless they tuned to F Standard. Don't believe me? Try playing along with any of the songs, you'll be a half tone flat.

Obviously the cutesy songs on ASG are the weak points and Mark was no Robert though... there are things on ASG that Robert would have definitely had trouble singing.

Shame we never got to hear Robert sing live.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Great post! The two albums are so different and hell, they had different singers too, so it's so hard.

I love Baby O and Invasion, I don't see them as filler.

Some of the ASG songs are a bit filler but yeah, can't imagine Robert singing them as well as Mark on the whole. The styles of both singer and album are so different.

No Substitute just kills with Robert, no one else can do that song justice (the whole album really) and Mark slays on the excellent ballads of ASG.
pinkrhoads

Post by pinkrhoads »

shramiac wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:54 pm Tip to Invasion but Breakout is my favourite Vinnie song... and close to my favourite VVI solo too. Tough choice for me with that and Do Ya Wanna Make Love.

Love the raw sound on the first album but also love the polished sound on the second.

Both have their strong and weak points. Baby-O and Invasion are the weakest tracks on the first and there is an obvious "punch-in" on one of the songs that stands out like dog's balls to me but, I won't ruin it for everyone else by saying which song! Oh and of course the fact that the first album was sped up half a tone....unless they tuned to F Standard. Don't believe me? Try playing along with any of the songs, you'll be a half tone flat.

Obviously the cutesy songs on ASG are the weak points and Mark was no Robert though... there are things on ASG that Robert would have definitely had trouble singing.

Shame we never got to hear Robert sing live.
I think Invasion has some good songs on it, with Baby-O being almost my favourite, but a lot of songs seem fillerish to me, like it’s just some music and lyrics with a repeated chorus, whereas ASG catches your attention with near enough every song

Wow, didn’t know about the speeding up, I actually wanna test that and learn some stuff from it. And as for the vocalists, I prefer Mark honestly, really good range, and the cutesy songs? I’m guessing one might be Ecstasy? Absolutely love it!

I made this post to see what everyone thought and I’m realising I’m literally the opposite to everyone else haha
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Actually I was more referring to Naughty Naughty, Heavy Petting and Deeper & Deeper.
Though, Heavy does have a cool tapping section to start the solo.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, those are the typical 80's stuff that I was thinking of. Great music though. Sadly the Slaughter album was filled with worse than that

All the ballads on ASG are awesome and suit the production and Mark's voice to a T. I pity the fool who doesn't like those ballads!!! :mrgreen:
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nice! Good on the readers of Metal Edge, where the VVI were featured pretty often I remember, back in the day.

Here's what they said about VVI in case it's lost later:
Vinnie Vincent Invasion – All Systems Go (1988)

If an alien life force landed on Earth and requested one perfect album of ‘80s shred-guitar excess, you could offer that extraterrestrial, well, a whole lot of examples. But high on that list would undoubtedly be something by the Vinnie Vincent Invasion. To be sure, VVI’s 1986 self-titled debut was the more insane guitar flex, and it’s also, by extension, the record that gets most of the attention from Vinnie fans. All Systems Go, by comparison, is way overlooked – except, clearly, by Metal Edge readers.

And while it is the more “understated” Vinnie Vincent record, it’s still completely bonkers compared to most anything else on offer at the time or ever. Check Vinnie’s brain-scrambling leads on tracks like “Freedom Rock” and “Burn,” for starters (an even wilder live performance of "Burn" can be seen here). What’s more, new singer Mark Slaughter goes toe-to-toe with Vinnie’s guitar for sheer excessiveness, his sky-high vocals as much a marvel as VV’s fleet fingers.

Beyond the speedy soloing, there's also a uncharacteristically reigned-in take on the “The Star-Spangled Banner,” an ultra-melodic, almost-hit power ballad in the form of “Love Kills,” and some pop stylings on “Ecstasy.” And while Vinnie gives drummer Bobby Rock a moment to shine on the “Moby Dick”-like penultimate track, “The Meltdown,” he takes the last word for himself, wrapping up the proceedings with a four-minute unaccompanied acoustic classical guitar piece titled, bizarrely, “Ya Know – I’m Pretty Shot.”
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

As they say at the start of the article, many of the albums picked were from 89, with the Y&T record from 82 and of course ASG from 88.

It seems many of the albums from 89, even Badlands, had that GnR vibe, compared to what most people think of when they think of 80's metal, Motley, Poison, Warrant etc.

Being from 88 ASG is definitely NOT influenced by GnR. No blooze stuff here! Just state of the art 80's METAL!!! With a ballad or three, that are also great!

So I found that interesting as I went through the list. All these albums after Appetite and the influence it had on them, which is fair enough.

ASG was criminally underrated. Who knows if it could have done better if that band had not imploded so soon after it's release.

Cool pic they chose of Vinnie and Dana too.