Post by poserboy71 »

Fair prices = SALES

THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Re: Fair prices

Post by shramiac »

I don't care what anyone says, Singer looks terrible as a "brunette"!!!!! But those prices did seem pretty reasonable. $10 for an autographed pic and a photo too!!!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev

Post by doublev »

I never liked Singer's playing or sound. I know people like the ALIVE 3 and Revenge stuff but not me. I didn't mind him in Badlands (I think that was the band he was in).
Eric Carr had great sound even if maybe there were all round better drummers. Peter sounded and played amazing in the 70s but, jesus what the hell happened. I hated his 90s and recent sound and playing.

Rock n' roll all night was a tune that Peter Criss made. That swing drumming totally made that tune. No one would have played that tune like that and I would have expected it to fail if it had a ball busting 70s drums sound.

The best drumming on Dynasty is also the only tune Peter played on. Anton Fig maybe an amazing drummer but he is boring and generic as they come (in my opinion). I always like Bobby Rocks playing but I don't think he gets a great sound for all his troubles. I thought the Nito performance was interesting however.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I've always said Eric Singer played too much. He does too many fills, rolls and breaks. I dare him to play 10 bars of straight rhythm!! When he is just keeping the beat (which is rare), it sounds mechanical. No groove. He keeps incredible time and his fills are very complicated and intricate, but KISS music requires just a straight ahead, meat & potatoes rhythm.

Eric Carr had a great, smooth feel. He just glided around the drums. So slick. The absolute perfect 80s drummer!
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
doublev

Post by doublev »

I think Eric Singer is technical but i don't like his feel . I agree with you erg2.

I don't think Peter is run of the mill however, but its all in his vibe. He does stuff rock drummers were not supposed to do in those days and I believe made some Kiss tunes much much better than they should have been. Also Eric Carr did bring out some Kiss tunes too.

I don't mind Eric Singer's over playing actually, I just really don't like the sound he gets from his drums, in particular his snare sound, which turns me a little green, like sea sick.
Brooklyn_Born

Post by Brooklyn_Born »

I loved Eric Carrs playing.. He was extremely talented :D
Hey man, I am cool, I am the Breeze...

VVFF Rocks Hard!!!
This is not a Hate Forum Vinnie...Capisce!!?
Brooklyn has almost left the Building
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I didn't mind Singer's playing! Sounded just like Carr to me on "God gave R & R"!!!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev

Post by doublev »

i think he was better in the 80s (Singer) and early 90s. I thought the re-recorded tunes they did a few years back were an all time low for him, but it could have been also other issues with producers and engineers etc.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I agree with the idea that his (Singer) instruments (snare, hi-hat, etc.) sound more like a jazz set. They don't have that big, booming, deep feel a rock set should have. Don't get me wrong, the guy can technically play...I just don't think it's a great fit for KISS. I really dug him in Badlands.

Also, I think the way the Peter Criss make-up sits on his face makes him look more like a dog than a cat. (That's just splitting hairs.)
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev

Post by doublev »

Oooooh . I agree but not about the jazz sound unless you mean a modern jazz sound. Peter was more jazz sounding to me. But not recently .
erg2

Post by erg2 »

No. Not that Singer plays in a jazz style. I'm saying his equipment sounds like jazz equipment being used for hard rock music. (Adding to the confusing sound of his playing.) His choice of percussion instruments are ones that have a higher, brassier, tinnier tones. Most rock drummers like their drums to have a lower tone with more echo. Singer does the opposite. It really shows if you have seen his signature snare drum he lends his name to. It has a very high, bright tone Clean, crip...almost like an orchestral snare.

So it's like the opposite of Peter Criss. He played more of a jazz style, but on rock equipment.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev

Post by doublev »

Maybe you hear that because he uses a wood snare. Personally I don't hear the jazz sound in the drums but I find it intetesting you do so I will take another listen.
Nothing beats peters c.o.b. pearl Jupiter snare for me. I know peter likes dw better but I think the way he uses them makes peters sound more generic.
I think the 70s pearls and the 80s ludwigs especially the snares rule.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

You had to really play those older kits but the results would be astounding to the ears. I have a 1970's cheap Ludwig 5-piece kit in my bedroom that is beat to hell and I believe it sounds better than most of the drummer's new kits in my area.

New kits ,to me, move air easier(very loud) leaving the drummer to use the sound and volume of the kit as a crutch instead of MAKING the sound happen.

NEWBEGINNINGS
erg2

Post by erg2 »

That's exactly why people keep buying vintage kits.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev

Post by doublev »

Vintage kits rule. I have a 60s leedy/slingerland that can not sound any better. I love the 60s/70s rogers , premier. Hollywood, Asba, gretsch, ludwig, pearls and some sonor. The 80s was more complicated but some great sets. I tested new drums and only the remo gold crown sounded amazing to me.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

When I was getting drum lessons my teacher had an early 80s Pearl that to this day is the best sounding kit I've ever heard. I loved it when he was late for lessons because his wife let me play it!!! It was a dark brown, wood grain lacquered 5 piece kit 12", 13", 16' floor and 22" bass. I think it was maple??? He added a maple 8 x 8" with a natural finish on it that matched his 8" snare! He played Dixieland with it!!!
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I lucked into a Slingerland 6 piece pre-mic'd jazz set in the late 80s when a friend needed money fast. It was the best kit I ever played. It sounded amazing and having the mics built into the drums made it easy to record with. Unfortunately I also fell on some hard times about 6 years later and had to sell it.

I guess what I'm getting at overall is that IMO:
1) Singer uses drums/heads that have a higher/tinnier sound than what someone would normally hear from a hard rock drummer.
2) Singer plays too many fills that are too intricate for the type of music KISS plays.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev

Post by doublev »

I think his snare just sounds bad and generic. But it coukdnt be the way its recorded.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Funny, I always felt that Eric Singer dumbed-down his playing in Kiss. Especially in the 2000's.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

That happened when he came back to replace Peter , im Sure G&P Told him to Peterize his playing
doublev

Post by doublev »

I just think he got more generic . Peter to me was lighter but did some very original things in my opinion. I also don't like the thicker robust sound that has become popular in the last 10 years.
The best snare sound to me is buddy rich. He used a lot of different ones that were all good but the 60s Rogers dynasonic Chrome over brass snares he used were perfect to me. I find if funny kiss are into vintage equipment apart from the drums always seem to be modern.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

My point exactly ,Dino.

I believe Jack Scarangella(Treasure drummer) worked closely with Buddy Rich.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

Very cool , a legend with a legend
doublev

Post by doublev »

Is that right? I know jack does buddy rich tributes. When did he work with buddy? I got to say I dont know jacks work that well but it obvious he is damn good.
I never understood why over playing is a bad thing in rock. Buddy rich and john bonham over played I suppose and it wasn't bad. Eric singer sounded better on Pauls solo tour than he did with kiss and he seems embarrassed about his over the top performance. Heavy metal is no place to play in the pocket in my opinion... saVe that for the tonight show or a POP act.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I've seen pictures of them hanging out backstage. He has been described as a Buddy Rich PROTEGE'.

Peter Criss used to get tips from Gene Krupa. It is believable . It's not like these drum legends were as inaccessible as ,say, Vinnie Vincent.

Wouldn't it be great to have that casual atmosphere where Vinnie would do occasional shows in the Nashville area and just hang out and share his music and technique tips like these legends used to ???

Wish in one hand...

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

doublev wrote:The best snare sound to me is buddy rich.
Really?? It's pretty high pitched and ringy!! But I suppose guys like to use a piccolo snare to get that sound these days!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

doublev wrote:saVe that for the tonight show or a POP act.

Funny you say that when Max Weinberg overplays on Conan's show but is the world's most boring drummer when playing with Springsteen!
doublev

Post by doublev »

I like the highpitch tone of br.
[youtube][/youtube]
Yeah peter had lessons from krupa. That would be cool.