All Systems Go With David Snowden, The KissFAQ Interview P1

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
thattimeofyear87

All Systems Go With David Snowden, The KissFAQ Interview P1

Post by thattimeofyear87 »

All Systems Go With David Snowden
David Snowden: The KissFAQ Interview

By Tim McPhate

When Vinnie Vincent Invasion's sophomore album, "All Systems Go," was released on May 2, 1988, hopes were sky high.

With the Led Zeppelin-inspired "Ashes To Ashes," the crushing "Breakout," the moody "That Time Of Year," and four-on-the-floor stompers such as "Burn," Vincent had arguably uncorked his best and most diverse slate of songs to date. The Invasion -- Vinnie Vincent, Mark Slaughter, Dana Strum, and Bobby Rock -- were ready to take no musical prisoners and the timing seemed perfect, too. In 1988 rock bands such as Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Poison, Guns N' Roses, Van Halen, and Cinderella all inhabited the upper echelon of the Billboard 200.

Unfortunately, within the span of only three months, internal strife and various personal- and business-related issues caused the Invasion to disintegrate. And despite the release of two singles, including "Love Kills," which was featured in "Nightmare On Elm Street 4," and a brief tour, "All Systems Go" was essentially dead in the water.

"But by the time 'Love Kills' actually came out as a single, the Invasion was over," says David Snowden, who oversaw the Invasion's fan club. "I mean even when they went and did that video, it was over."

Given his unique position and close contact with the band, Snowden had a front-row seat for what was ultimately a tumultuous time for Vincent and the Invasion. Whether it's recalling Strum's important role in the studio, Vincent's inability to put a guitar down, Chrysalis Records' growing affinity for Mark Slaughter, or Vincent's secret role with David Lee Roth's "Eat Em & Smile" band, Snowden recalls the details with an amazing clarity.

Today, the longtime KISS fan runs his Baltimore-based company, David Snowden Promotions, which specializes in marketing strategies and the development of grassroots programs and licensed merchandise to promote entertainment artists. In addition to Vincent and KISS, Snowden has worked with artists such as Cheap Trick, Alias, Joan Jett, Dio, Britny Fox, Thin Lizzy, and Strum and Slaughter's post-Invasion band, Slaughter, among others. 

With the calendar inching toward May, it is hard to fathom that it will be 25 years since Vincent has released a studio album, far too long a time period considering the depth's of his talents. "He was a great songwriter, he was a great guitar player," says Snowden.

So buckle up. All systems are go for part one of KissFAQ's chat with Snowden regarding his wild ride with the Vinnie Vincent Invasion.

David Snowden
Courtesy of David Snowden Promotions

KissFAQ: David, longtime KISS fans and will surely remember you given your work on "KISS Revolution" and "KISS Force" in the early '80s. But for those who may not be familiar, can you give us an overview of your KISS background?

David Snowden: Well, it started in [around] 1983. "Creatures Of The Night" was just getting ready to come out and there was really no KISS Army at that point. It had disbanded, it was done. And I had started to do this newsletter that I called the "KISS Revolution" and I put an advertisement in the back of "Circus" magazine because that was always the way to go. And that's when I got a telephone call one day from Keith Leroux, who was in Worcester, Massachusetts. He told me he really liked what I was doing and he had this big grand idea that we could do the whole KISS fan club thing. And that's when we decided to put it all together and do "KISS Force." And in doing "KISS Force" I was relying on Keith to get together pictures for the fan club package and get some PRICES and in the mean time I was constantly hounding the band, trying to get interviews with them because I thought that was the one thing with all the different fanzines that you'd seen over the years, nobody ever did interviews them. I'll never forget, what was it, back in '85 maybe, Ace was on his seven-city club tour and he played Scranton, Pennsylvania. I wasn't of legal age. He was scheduled to play Baltimore but it was a 21 and over crowd. So I thought, "Well, if I can't go to the show here, I'll go to Scranton." Ironically enough, the Baltimore show ended up getting cancelled. But when I went up to Scranton, I was actually invited by Ken Sharp, who everybody knows. Ken had invited me to the show, he got me on the guest list. And I got there, I met Ken, talked to him and met a really nice guy named Jim Rosensteel. Jim ended up working with me on Lydia's book ["Sealed With A KISS"]. He actually did the KISS Asylum website for years and years and years. When I was doing all the KISS merchandising, he maintained my website. [He's] a really, really good guy. I mean he's so good with his web design, he now works for a huge federal government agency doing website for them.

But at that particular show, when the show ended I saw the backstage door and I had been calling George Sewitt for months at his apartment, trying to get an interview with Ace. So I walked through the backstage door, walked right up to George Sewitt, and he looked at me and he said, "Who the fuck are you? And what the fuck are you doing here?" (laughs) That was introduction to George Sewitt and I looked at him and I said," I'm David Snowden and I've been calling you about doing an interview with Ace and you haven't returned my calls so here I am." He looked at me, and he said, "Wow. You know what? You've got a lot of balls. But don't you go anywhere." And then he turned, he goes "Anton, watch this guy," which was Anton Fig. He says, "Don't let him go anywhere." Well I'm standing there, and I had two Frehley's Comet T-shirts that I had bought and I had Anton and Richie and Jon Regan and Arthur Stead all sign the shirts. And then Jon Regan looked at me and said, "You know Ace hasn't signed this yet." He actually took it and went in the back and he came out and it had Ace's signature on it. And I thought, "Well, this is kind of cool." Then George Sewitt came out and he said, "Come with me." I went in and Ace was sitting in a chair and he said, "Ace, this is David Snowden. He wants to do an interview. He's not doing it today. But I think we should let him do one." And he explained to him what I did and he then George said, "He's just here for an autograph." And I go, "Oh shit." I just got Ace's autograph on one of my shirts but I handed him the other one, and he signed that. And two weeks later I ended up at the Power Station in New York City when Ace was cutting the scratch vocals for "Into The Night" and I did an interview with him then.

KF: I believe this particular interview is on YouTube.

DS: Yeah, a lot of the stuff ... you know, when you kind of get involved with KISS circles you meet a lot of people. And because I had done a lot of those interviews, with Ace, Peter, Eric, Mark, Bruce, Gene, Vinnie, and what not, I had let a lot people borrow them and listen to them and they just started circulating. I went to a convention once and saw an actual CD with the Eric Carr interview I did. And of course, now you go 20, 30 years later and you go back and listen to them and you go, "God, I sounded like an idiot talking to them." But you know it was fun stuff and all a part of growing up.

KF: Absolutely. So how did you exactly come to work with Vinnie?

DS: After doing so many interviews with the guys, I ended up meeting Vinnie and I got a hold of him when he was back in Connecticut and he was cutting a lot of his demos. That was with Hirsh Gardner and the guys that went on to form Alcatrazz. We had kept in touch and then he eventually moved to L.A. and one day as he was getting closer to getting his [first solo] album done -- Keith and I always believed in doing bigger and better advertisements to really expand out what we were doing and we had done a bunch of ones for the KISS Force fan club that were full-page things in "Circus" and "Hit Parader" and "Faces" magazine was like the big thing. We decided one day to do one for Vinnie. And we also did one for KISS for the release of "Asylum" and they ran around the same time and I had gotten a call one day from Chris Lendt who said to me, "David, Paul was looking through a magazine the other day and he was just knocked over." And I was like, "Oh that's great." And I'm thinking he was referring to the full-page ad we did for KISS but he was upset about the ad we did for Vinnie.

Later that week I talked to Vinnie and I was telling him about it and Vinnie says, "You know what, I'd really like you to do my fan club." And he said, "But you've got to understand, [there's a] conflict of interest."

KF: Right.

DS: And I talked to Keith about it. And I told Keith that I thought this was my chance to do what I really loved and to do it in a real official capacity and to really get involved. And I ended up selling everything out to Keith and I moved on with Vinnie. We kind of took it from there. We went through the whole first record, went with them on tour a lot. I know that some people have seen on my Facebook company page, they probably see pictures of Vinnie at my parents' house having dinner.

KF: David, you have to tell us about Vinnie Vincent coming over to your house for dinner.

Read the rest of part one of the interview HERE.
shramiac

Re: All Systems Go With David Snowden, The KissFAQ Interview

Post by shramiac »

Thanks Tim. That was freakin fantastic! 8) 8) 8)
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Great interview!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

That is gold man, well done and thank you!!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

8) 8) 8) 8)
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Billy

Post by Billy »

Fuckin kickass interveiw,thanks!
Hello Rainbow Eyes.........Im Back! \m/
AnkhWarrior

Post by AnkhWarrior »

Thank you for this :)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I can't wait for Part 2, any idea when that is coming?

Also, did you do an interview with Bobby that was posted up at Double V just before things went bad? I remember seeing a link to a cool Bobby interview, and I was thinking that it's cool we had a place for people to post these sort of things, otherwise I might never have seen it.

Then, a day or so later is when Vinnie came through, deleted it and all other threads like it as we were no longer allowed to have threads/discussions about the other Invasion members. This annoyed me GREATLY, though I didn't know it was Vinnie at the time, just a strange new rule we had to abide by for some reason, as we waited for the promised GREATNESS.

We got no GREATNESS, just Vinnie and his iron fist rule of boring nothingness.
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

We need more stories and interviews like this. Too bad Vinnies life is all 20 years ago.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Uh, make that, like, 25 years ago!!

And counting UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
metatron

Post by metatron »

timstar78, that was awesome!
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
thattimeofyear87

Thanks, all. David was extremely candid and fair, and very giving of his time. Part two should be coming by early next week.

And to answer an earlier question, yes I did interview Bobby Rock for the FAQ in 2010:
http://www.kissfaq.com/KissFAQ-wiki/ind ... Bobby_Rock
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks Tim. Did you post that at DoubleV? If not you, then someone else may have.
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

Genebaby wrote:Uh, make that, like, 25 years ago!!

Hopefully we celebrate Vinnies 30th anniversary of doing nothing.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Portillo wrote:
Genebaby wrote:Uh, make that, like, 25 years ago!!

Hopefully we celebrate Vinnies 30th anniversary of doing nothing.

I hope not! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Get moving Vin baby!!!!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
AnkhWarrior

Post by AnkhWarrior »

I will always have hope!
metatron

Post by metatron »

I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
mrblitz

Post by mrblitz »

great interview! thanks.

among other things, it's too bad we didn't get a collection of 'vinnie plays classical'.
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

Great interview!
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

mrblitz wrote: among other things, it's too bad we didn't get a collection of 'vinnie plays classical'.
Careful what you wish for. Vinnie may have a box set for that!
metatron

Post by metatron »

Genebaby wrote:
mrblitz wrote: among other things, it's too bad we didn't get a collection of 'vinnie plays classical'.
Careful what you wish for. Vinnie may have a box set for that!
I pay for that......
NOT!
thattimeofyear87

Hi all... part two of KissFAQ's interview with David Snowden is now live:
http://www.kissfaq.com/forum11/viewtopi ... 1#p1837131
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

timstar78 wrote:I mean, Vinnie once told me that he was so touched and so honored when he had joined KISS, Gene had actually said to him, "Vinnie, you're a musician's musician." And Gene told him, "Vinnie, all I do is I emulate what people want to see and what they expect." He says, "But you genuinely have a talent." And he really does.
Wow.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Wow indeed!

Interesting about the Rhoads too!!!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Fantastic interview with David, well done!!!

The Rhoads story is interesting because for quite a long time there was an unfinished Rhoads that was built incorrectly somehow and it was used as the template for the Rhoads cases.

This guitar stayed with Grover for a long time and he gave it to someone while they were visiting his house and that guy got Mike Shannon to fix it and it was painted and put together like it would have been for Randy.

I'm not sure if there was another one like that, but I guess there was?

It's just a funny thing for Grover to say, they had gotten the Rhoads guitar finished for Randy, he got the black one with the revised shape and they were making his next one, the white one with reverse sharkfins, when he was killed. They didn't just not finish a guitar. The case template guitar was unfinished due to being faulty so it got a new job until someone cared enough to have it fixed, and fixed properly by the right guy.

Ah, the mysteries of life.