greg bisonette and vv

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
doublev

greg bisonette and vv

Post by doublev »

anyone remember the story about Greg Bissonette of David Lee Roth saying that VV got him the gig.. anyone know if this is rumour? Greg seems easy to contact but I never did.

Its seems to be in that murky area around 19985/86 that Bisonette and Fred Coury all said they played a little with VV.

I would have asked vv stuff like this but he didn't seem to be cool with interviews, which i don't blame him for.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Never heard that before. You sure know a lot of obsure Vinnie stuff Dino, which is cool. Share the love.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I'd heard the rumors as well but never cared enough to pursue it as fact. If it is true, I'm sure that there are some great stories there. Let's try to get a hold of Gregg.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

it was said that when greg won an mtv music award for little aint enough he took it back to vinnie and thanked him.
this is sketchy stuff from memory. greg is a drummer for hire and has a website you can contact him on. I was led to believe he would have been the VVI drummer if Roth hadn't given him the gig.

Fred Coury was also sessioning for VV at the time he got the Cinderella gig. Fred confirmed that to me. Actually back in the days Cinderella actually said Fred was in the VV band or the magazine reported that incorrectly at least, but Fred didn't go that far when talking to me.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The drummer in my regular rock covers band's drum kit is signed by Greg. He used it at a clinic, it's like one of 12 in the word made from some special wood, ya da, ya da, ya da.....just a drum kit to me!!...lol...
doublev

Post by doublev »

yes, i recall that set. what is the wood, is it coca bola?

he is good.

the heavy metal drummer i like his drum collection the best is Frankie Banali . he has some great vintage stuff like slingerland's and Meazzi's. he sounded great in WASP as well. I think he was in LA Guns and Faster Pussycat too.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I like Coca Cola as well.

Frankie Banali is over-rated in my opinion. I worked for QR about 10 years ago. Let's just say we are not very fond of each other. :D

-PB71-

NEWBEGINNINGS
WizKid

Post by WizKid »

poserboy71 wrote:I like Coca Cola as well.

Frankie Banali is over-rated in my opinion. I worked for QR about 10 years ago. Let's just say we are not very fond of each other. :D

-PB71-
I always wondered about that as Banali and Dubrow seemed like they couldn't be anymore different from each other.
Check out the Decibel Geek Podcast at http://dbgeekshow.blogspot.com/
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

They both realized who and what buttered their bread and no matter if either one of them were wrong, they sided with each other . WORLD CLASS. Cavazo was a cool guy. Sarzo kept his distance from everyone and would always say , "That's not the way Whitesnake did it." My reply was "In Whitesnake you had 10 techs (that made ridiculous money) , here you have me !!" That was a month of my life I can't get back. :lol: :lol:

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

i am not saying i like Banali as a drummer, just his collection but I saw him with WASP and that night he was good.

I really don't follow many metal drummers.
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

Genebaby wrote:The drummer in my regular rock covers band's drum kit is signed by Greg. He used it at a clinic, it's like one of 12 in the word made from some special wood, ya da, ya da, ya da.....just a drum kit to me!!...lol...
My Drummer too !!!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

No way!! How cool is that?
Batman

Post by Batman »

Okey, everyone...I can confirm the Greg story as it's in the interview I did with David Snowden. I'll post it in the interview section.
doublev

Post by doublev »

great. couldn't remember where it came from. I wonder if V D.S. is free to post on v's board.
vinniefan83

Re: greg bisonette and vv

Post by vinniefan83 »

I knew someone, who knew someone, who knew Fred Coury... Ok, already my source isn't sounding very strong is it?

I heard Fred just auditioned for VVI, not that he did any further work with Vinnie. Apparently the audition consisted of Fred having to play along to the album, while Vinnie watched. Vinnie didn't pick up a guitar or play along, nor did anyone else... again acording to my third hand source, Vinnie didn't feel Fred was giving enough energy on the drums and said to Fred "I want to to f*ck me with the drums"... presumably that was metaphorically not literally...
metatron

Post by metatron »

vinniefan83 wrote:I knew someone, who knew someone, who knew Fred Coury... Ok, already my source isn't sounding very strong is it?

I heard Fred just auditioned for VVI, not that he did any further work with Vinnie. Apparently the audition consisted of Fred having to play along to the album, while Vinnie watched. Vinnie didn't pick up a guitar or play along, nor did anyone else... again acording to my third hand source, Vinnie didn't feel Fred was giving enough energy on the drums and said to Fred "I want to to f*ck me with the drums"... presumably that was metaphorically not literally...
I totally understand 'wanting to be fucked by the drums, the bass, the guitar'. I've auditioned a lot of band members in the pasted & even if some players were great technically,,,they just didn't have that aggression, that passion....the warfare with their instrument, so I didn't want to play with them. I'll give VV that, he not only made you hear the sound, he'd make you feel it.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
doublev

Post by doublev »

I spoke to Fred a few years back and he said it was an audition. In one of the magazines it said Fred was playing with vinnie the day he got the call from Cinderella if I remember correctly.
As for banali he was great live with wasp, I know people don't rate him that well but blackie chose him over bobby rock so he must have had something good about him.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Banali would work for peanuts? Bobby Rock is intelligent ? Choose one :wink: :wink: :wink:

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

Rick, thanks . I kind of get what you are saying. I heard bobby and Eric singer were being lined up for wasp at that time.