"That Time Of Year " video

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
poserboy71

"That Time Of Year " video

Post by poserboy71 »

As far as I can see, Vinnie is actually playing the Jackson, the Carvin, AND THE WASHBURN in the video. :shock: :shock: :shock:
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: "That Time Of Year " video

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, the VVV's were out in force!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Well spotted my eagle eyed friends BUT did you notice the heel on the Washburn at 2:37!!!!!???? Hmmmmmmm, very interesting!!! Was the Washburn a bolt on? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Maybe we have a Stephen's extended cutaway neck there???? The heel seems to be very thin!!!!!!!!
And at 2:38, FINALLY a clear view of the Washburn decal! At last!!!!!

If anyone has a good copy of the clip,check it out in better detail for us! Youtube a little blurry! If I'm right, do I win a prize???? :D :D :D :D
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev

Post by doublev »

i will check it out. no one ever mentioned seeing the washburn in that video.

let the washburn dude know.. he will be happy
doublev

Post by doublev »

rick, that is some damn good detective work. I think around 48 seconds and maybe 1.30 aprox you can see vv with the carvin and standing in the background is another white vv model. Really good. so we know now more about when he got that guitar. I would say that video was done in june '88 as i think it aired around the middle of july.

funny, the black and white footage of the girl (looks to be 16mm, possibly with a bolex or cinema products camera with plus x neg film) is straight out of the book of kodak's teaching videos we used to watch in film school - dappled light, shadows and the moving light bulb. Used to watch that stuff all the time. I was trying to figure out what format the color was shot on.. it looks like 35mm academy tv standard ratio with zeiss distagon lenses (or maybe the Panavison L series) but its hard to tell as its so compressed. All together a pretty high quality team which must have cost, so at least the label spent some money. I can actually light like that in my sleep.
doublev

Post by doublev »

so he must have had the washburn before the tour ended. yet no pictures of him with it live. i wonder if this goes some way to letting us know which guitar he liked best (carvin was the the number one guitar on the ASG tour) or maybe he liked the Carvin the least and didn't mind it getting fucked up on tour.. I would love to know if the Washburn featured live at anytime. We only just saw a photo of him live with the Jackson on the ASG tour so it could be possible the Washburn was used. I would say he was seen with the carvin due to being a spokesperson, but when i called in july 88 Carvin did not seem to cool about him, so I would rule that out a little. who knows.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

The Washburn may have been his bus guitar.

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I let Darren know on a post on the Washburn site! Scrub the bolt-on thought! I remembered that the 29 and 36 fret Washburns that came out in 88' had the Stephen's Extended Cutaway but were neck-throughs! Even I felt funny when posting that the guitar might have been a bolt-on! And I doubt Vinnie would have wanted a bolt-on either!!!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev

Post by doublev »

poserboy.. vinnie had a guitar that looked like a bus??
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev wrote:poserboy.. vinnie had a guitar that looked like a bus??

:lol: :lol: :lol: He may have kept the Washburn on the bus to play .

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

ha!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Darren posted a reply in the Vinnie's gear section- VVV and Washburn.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

My mind might be playing tricks on me but I think I saw the Ibanez headstock as well. :shock: :shock: :shock:

NEWBEGINNINGS
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I think I was wrong about the Ibanez. I only see the three VVV's mentioned plus the Carvin doubleneck.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

I know think the ibanez was the last to be delivered of the white ones with the carvin the first
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

My guess would be that the Washburn was made near the end/just after the first tour as Vinnie was using Laney amps on that tour. And as Washburn and Laney are/were, (I'm not sure if they were owned by the same company or just had some sort of agreement) together, he was probably given one to endorse. Remember the Ace ads with Laney amps and his Washburn AF40!

Also in the photo shoot, Mark's hair is still pretty "shaggy" on top and not as grown out as it was on the ASG tour.

But for me, the cruncher is that the Washburn doesn't have a recessed Floyd! Steve Vai had only just made this modification with his green Charvel (R.I.P.) and the Performance parts guitars he made himself on the 1st Roth tour and then his Ibanez Jems being made in late 87/early 88". As Vinnie likes his Floyd to be fine tunerless so they don't get in the way, a recessed Floyd would be much more comfortable for him. Vinnie I think would have insisted that Washburn recess the Floyd if it was made after the Ibanez and Carvin! But hey, what do I know?? :oops:

And thanks to Darren for updating the info on the Vinnie Washburn on the Washburn site! Hopefully oneday we can all find out the facts on this (and the others) guitar! :) :) :)
doublev

Post by doublev »

I say he got it in June 1988. I bet they started in late 1987. I think the washburn and ibanez were weeks apart. I don't know this shaggy hair picture you are talking about. I think its clear he didn't have them until after asg came out because the info in the cd listed what vv played. That record came out in may or June 1988. The band broke up about three months later.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I believe Brad Gillis did the recessed Floyd first. Years before Vai.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

I was told that Brad Gillis collects all the old non fine tuning original floyds. he has scouts on the look out for him and takes them off old Kramers etc.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev wrote:I was told that Brad Gillis collects all the old non fine tuning original floyds. he has scouts on the look out for him and takes them off old Kramers etc.
Wasn't it here where someone said Ed Roman saves them for him ?

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

There's a pic of the band and Vinnie's holding the Washburn in it.

Mark's hair is still frosted and has grown out much on top! I also use my Washburn (no, not a VVV!)that I bought in late 88' but would have been made early 88', late 87' maybe (no air shipping from Japan back then to my town) as a reference and it has a recessed Floyd! I just think the Washburn/Laney "partnership" pointed to the Washburn being the eldest! Didn't Vinnie say he used Washburn acoustics too???
Shred4hire

Post by Shred4hire »

with he ibanez edge trem the tuners dont get in the way alot of players like the edge over the floyd for taht sole reason.. in fact my friend john bruno orders most of his guitars ( no matter where they are from) and askes they install the ibanez edge tremolo.. he actually orders it seprately and sends it to them...

funny enough he has a custom esp that was supposed to make the catalog but didnt because the tremolo said "ibanez "and wasnt a stock lic esp/floyd
doublev

Post by doublev »

i disagree with the date. Bobby has his hair out of his forehead.. vinnie had the most recent hairstyle. I think thats the last ever VVI group shot. He had different hair in early 88 and on the ASG cover. This is my opinion, I don't want a fight or anything, but I am trusting myself on this one.. maybe trusting myself is a bad idea.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I have to side with Dino on this one. Last photo shoot

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

No I wanna fight! C'mon!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
doublev

Post by doublev »

ha. vinnie's and Bobby's hair give it away to me. but i don't mind a fight. let me know your theories on the 87?
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

chris bickley wrote:with he ibanez edge trem the tuners dont get in the way alot of players like the edge over the floyd for taht sole reason..
My 89' Jem has the original Edge (as the Ibanez VVV would have) and yeah, the fine tuners are out of the way compared to a Floyd. But they still kinda get in the way! The Edge Lo Pro that Ibi bought out in 90/91 that is on my 91' Jem has the tuners really low and out of the way! Shame they don't make this version anymore as it's the best! I'm not sure whether it was Ibi or Floyd Rose himself that came up with the Lo version. Floyd still makes the Lo verion though, it's called the Floyd Pro.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

poserboy71 wrote:I have to side with Dino on this one. Last photo shoot

Yeah I agree but the Washburn was never used as far as we know so he may have had it for a while and it just sat in it's case in mint condition! And that's all I've got to offer and concede defeat..........maybe!!! :lol: :lol:
doublev

Post by doublev »

yes. the only indication is that in the end of year issue of one of the guitar magazines (DEC 87) Washburn announced that they were making a VV model.

I think VV got his Carvin after ASG cover art was finished so maybe April or May 1988. Maybe the Ibanez was june 88 and the Washburn may or june. The only reason I don't say earlier it was not mentioned in the ASG Credits but he did mention the Washburn accoustic in the ASG credits, from that I guess he hadn't got it yet.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I don't have a problem with the fine tuners getting in the way on Original Floyds. They've never bothered me, but then again, I'm not a fantastic player.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Genebaby wrote:I don't have a problem with the fine tuners getting in the way on Original Floyds. They've never bothered me, but then again, I'm not a fantastic player.
You lie!!! I've heard you play Pat Benetar's Hit Me with Your Best Shot!

The only arguement I've got left is that back in the day the guitar mags were pressed months before they hit the newsstand. The March 87' Guitar World featuring Vinnie probably came out in the US sometime in February and the 1st tour was nearly finished by then. The interview probably got done sometime in 86'. I could be wrong as I'm guessing as guitar mags were usely 3 to 4 months behind by the time they got to newsstands in Oz! I used to get the current issue when I had a subscription to Guitar World though! Get here in the last week of the month!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

shramiac wrote:
Genebaby wrote:I don't have a problem with the fine tuners getting in the way on Original Floyds. They've never bothered me, but then again, I'm not a fantastic player.
You lie!!! I've heard you play Pat Benetar's Hit Me with Your Best Shot!
Where did you hear that?
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Never you mind! That's for me to know and you to find out! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

myspace I think??
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ah, MySpace. I forgot about that, haven't used it in ages. That was with our good girl singer who left. Probably going back to an all guy band.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Has anyone been to myspace recently??? :P :P :P :P
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

NO!
doublev

Post by doublev »

since Fox TV bought it it pretty much died.
DarrenD

Post by DarrenD »

Today I went through some VV videos on youtube - listening to the lyrics, songs. etc. This tune is very beautiful, catchy, and meaningful. Did Vinnie write most of the songs for VVI? If so, he is very good at it.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Vinnie wrote it all. His songwriting is catchy, melodic, tough, shreddy, it is everything.

No question the guy can write a tune. This is why we want MORE!!!!