EMI bought a 50% stake in Enigma in 1989 (Double V falsely claims they bought them)

News and information from 2018 onwards
Luxor

EMI bought a 50% stake in Enigma in 1989 (Double V falsely claims they bought them)

Post by Luxor »

The resident music "expert" claimed in another thread:

doublev2 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:17 pm Enigma were in position to release...why would they put out an album that they paid for and the artist used the recording to try and get a better deal? On top of that 1990 this music was so out of date for the target teenage audience .

Enigma owned by capital records at time with huge resources..the issue is vinnie. The material was highly uncommercial and grunge Rock had taken over . It's nothing short of a miracle Slaughter went double platinum in 1990.

The West German publishing conglomerate Bertelsmann AG paid a reported $300 million in 1986 for the 75% of RCA Records that it did not already own. Sony Corp. bought CBS Records for $2 billion in 1987. MCA Records and the investor group Boston Ventures bought Motown Records for $61 million in 1988. This year, Capitol-EMI bought 50% stakes in London-based Chrysalis Records and El Segundo-based Enigma Records for $75 million and $22 million, respectively. And Fujisankei Communications of Japan just agreed to buy 25% of London-based Virgin Records for a reported $180 million.

July 28, 1989

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Its really funny how a guy who "claims" :lol: his dad was running EMI and all these other labels doesn't even know EMI only bought 50% of Enigma in 1989. And that same guy keeps acting like Vinnie recorded GFH in 1989 when that didn't even start until 1990.

Also hilarious he acts like its shocking Stick It To Ya went 3X platinum (although he says 2 but its past 3) did that in 1990. Plenty of bands that came out in 1989, 1990 did very well still. MTV was still playing the crap out of the music. You'd think someone who "claims" their dad worked in the biz would know easy things like this.

Even funnier, he claimed Enigma was in a great position to release GFH although, they had already laid off the majority of the staff and the label got folded under and even their top selling act bolted for Hollywood Records. They weren't "retained"

And that same guy uses "Wikipedia" for a source and then always mocks LA Times, Billboards, Pollstars etc.

And while he mentioned Slaughter going Double Platinum (and later 3X) in 1990, he forgets that EMI bought 50% of Chrysalis (which was about to go under). Mike Bone came in and turned things around and then as posted here Mike Bone gave VVI credit for breaking Slaughter.

Odd how someone who "claims" their dad works at EMI doesn't know the very basics of the music business or even about Chrysalis/ EMI/ etc.

But yeah, Grunge was huge in 1990 and nobody was buying metal albums in 1990. Good thing we have DoubleV's expert wisdom. And good thing he dad "worked" at EMI. It always shows thats the truth from what DoubleV posts.
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
doublev2

Re: EMI bought a 50% stake in Enigma in 1989 (Double V falsely claims they bought them)

Post by doublev2 »

Emi owner of capital since the 50s.
Last edited by doublev2 on Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Re: EMI bought a 50% stake in Enigma in 1989 (Double V falsely claims they bought them)

Post by doublev2 »

You can't deny my dad was in music industry. You can gasslight me all you want but most people know the facts. Only liars acuse peope of lying about facts.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I ask for admin to stop luxxor acusing me of lying please . And my dad is also no longer with us and would appreciate Luxor stops this appalling behavior regarding my family member. I have never been spoken to like this
Last edited by doublev2 on Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

My dad didn't run emi he ran parlaphone which was owned by emi and also ran rca and then worked for virigin , phonogram chrysalis and a few others. Most people wouldn't have Wikipedia in the 80s to know who owned what company but my dad was out of industry by the time emi bought chrysalis i think .
But I am apauld you acuse me of lying here and ask admin to either stop these attacks on me or I am splitting
Bye Bye
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

doublev2 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:23 pm My dad didn't run emi he ran parlaphone which was owned by emi and also ran rca and then worked for virigin , phonogram chrysalis and a few others. Most people wouldn't have Wikipedia in the 80s to know who owned what company but my dad was out of industry by the time emi bought chrysalis i think .
But I am apauld you acuse me of lying here and ask admin to either stop these attacks on me or I am splitting

Notice back in January you said he was head of A&R at Parlaphone and head of A&R at RCA. Now he "ran them".
And you said he was head of A&R at EMI but now you leave that out.

Thanks for sharing that Enigma was in a great position to release "Guitars From Hell" when the company was completly over and Capitol was done with Enigma and the JV at the time.

----------
doublev2 wrote: ↑Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:14 pm
I own a record label that had two of the biggest selling songs of the 80s passed from my dad. My dad was head of a&r at RCA UK , emi and Parlaphone uk and a top executive at many others . I grew up in the industry . My dad also waa responsible for Frankie goes to Hollywood relax hysteria
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yes head of a&r is running the a&r department.. head of the companies.. not the owner. Like the head coach of a sports team not the owner obviously. My dad did get fired from both jobs but that's how it went back them and my dad was a crazy guy and reckless which is why he was liked.
I never ever said enigma was in a great position to put out guitars from hell. If I was at enigma or any label I wouldn't have put out an.album with no obvious tune that could be played on.the.radio and as well as that the.msuic scene changing as back then it was mostly kids listening .

Again please reframe from attacking me and telling me I am.a liar .
Bye Bye
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

doublev2 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:23 am Yes head of a&r is running the a&r department.. head of the companies.. not the owner. Like the head coach of a sports team not the owner obviously. My dad did get fired from both jobs but that's how it went back them and my dad was a crazy guy and reckless which is why he was liked.
I never ever said enigma was in a great position to put out guitars from hell. If I was at enigma or any label I wouldn't have put out an.album with no obvious tune that could be played on.the.radio and as well as that the.msuic scene changing as back then it was mostly kids listening .

Again please reframe from attacking me and telling me I am.a liar .

I thought you were going to leave? Why still here?

You claimed:
Robert interview specifically talked about Vinnie shopping around the guitars from hell after taking enigmas money to record it and enigma found out and pulled the plug. Enigma paid for studio recording and vv decided he wanted a larger label so shopped the recording they paid for around. Probably the original recording is still owned by enigma.

and then you made this inaccurate "claim"

un 20, 2023 9:17 pm

Enigma were in position to release...why would they put out an album that they paid for and the artist used the recording to try and get a better deal? On top of that 1990 this music was so out of date for the target teenage audience .

Enigma owned by capital records at time with huge resources..the issue is vinn

Enigma was not owned by Capitol Records - Strike one! They had a JV going with them. That was being dissolved in late 1990 prior to GFH being finished.

Enigma was not in a position to release the album. They had no money, almost no staff etc. The label was being folded under - Strike two

Strike 3 is claiming 1990 wasn't an out of date range.

Your whole thing to back up your claim was a Wikipedia notation. Yet, you attacked an LA Times journalist for writing the truth about the situation back then. STRIKE 4 (if one was needed)
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Enigma had money to pay for recording of guitars from hell., that's expensive...
Your argument seems to be vinnie was right to shop a recording paid by someone else to another label behind their back and that the other label who reported back to enigma I guess also wrong?

You also miss off that no other label picked it up and capitol who owned rights didn't bother to put it out themselves or sell it. It's actually very probable that guitars from hell was one of reasons enigma were in so much debt and closed also with that bob kulick recording.

But in your eyes trying to sell a recording that's not owned by you and cost someone else a lot of money is fine in the eyes of the music industry?

It's clear from the fact no label has ever signed vinnie since shows just how they feel about it.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Read the last sentence on this article https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=278 ... N-HIS-MIND
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Check down to his profile when he was coo of enigma
https://www.linkedin.com/in/joeregis
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

"Joe Regis LinkedIn
COO
Enigma Records
1989-1990.1yn
Culver City, CA
ENIGMA.
Negotiated the spin-off of Restless Records
division and managed the transfer of Enigma
Assets to Capitol/EMI."
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

"Greenworld Distribution / Enigma Records : A few years down the road...
Heins in 1989 and soon merged its operations into. Capitol, moving some of the artists to the various EMI labels."
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Capitol records basically bought Enigma and then kept the artist they wanted then sold of the ones they didn't want to Restless Records who shared an office with Enigma in Culver city.
If Capitol wanted to keep vinnie they had the money and power to do so. They funded his record and that was a great loss to them not putting it out ..so obviously something they had zero interest pouring more money into .. a money pit so to speak
Bye Bye
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

doublev2 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:05 am "Greenworld Distribution / Enigma Records : A few years down the road...
Heins in 1989 and soon merged its operations into. Capitol, moving some of the artists to the various EMI labels."
That's not what happened! Why can't you let it go? You were wrong. You've been wrong. Just let it go!
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

doublev2 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:11 am Capitol records basically bought Enigma and then kept the artist they wanted then sold of the ones they didn't want to Restless Records who shared an office with Enigma in Culver city.
If Capitol wanted to keep vinnie they had the money and power to do so. They funded his record and that was a great loss to them not putting it out ..so obviously something they had zero interest pouring more money into .. a money pit so to speak

They had a JV. You are changigng reality. You were wrong before when you falsely claimed Capitol bought Enigma in 1989. That didn't happen. You were completely wrong when you claimed Enigma was in a position to release GFH.

Now you are trying to change what you said prior!

You should have just never said anything. I was 100% right. Robert was wrong And you can't accept being wrong for the upteenth time.