Enigma Records - big layoffs Doors Closing soon Nov 1990

News and information from 2018 onwards
Luxor

Enigma Records - big layoffs Doors Closing soon Nov 1990

Post by Luxor »

Too bad Robert never mentioned this when slamming Vinnie with "shopping the album"

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

HOT FLASHES: What's going on at Enigma... - Los Angeles Times
PATRICK GOLDSTEIN
November 18, 1990
~2 minutes

HOT FLASHES: What’s going on at Enigma Records? Enigma execs acknowledge that the troubled label will lay off about 30 staffers before the end of the year. The label, which has such artists as Mojo Nixon, Stryper and David Cassidy, is also ending its partnership and distribution deal with Capitol Records. Insiders say Enigma’s top brass are talking with two major labels about making a new partnership arrangement, but it could be many weeks before a deal is done. Enigma staffers are hotly denying rumors that the label could be forced to close its doors by Christmas.
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
doublev2

Re: Enigma Records - big layoffs Doors Closing soon Nov 1990

Post by doublev2 »

You really think all music journalism is accurate haha

"Enigma was formally acquired by Capitol/EMI in 1989.[3][5] Some of its catalog and operations were merged into the still independent Restless Records in 1991."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_Records

However you are correct they closed doors because of end of heavy metal.

And seen as vv did shop around...were there any.takers ?

No

Enigma were closing up but not bankrupt as sold out to capital in 1989

But even so...we all know guitars from he'll would never come out on another label as all heavy metal was cancelled apart from very established
Bye Bye
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

doublev2 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:59 am You really think all music journalism is accurate haha

"Enigma was formally acquired by Capitol/EMI in 1989.[3][5] Some of its catalog and operations were merged into the still independent Restless Records in 1991."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_Records

However you are correct they closed doors because of end of heavy metal.

And seen as vv did shop around...were there any.takers ?

No

Enigma were closing up but not bankrupt as sold out to capital in 1989

But even so...we all know guitars from he'll would never come out on another label as all heavy metal was cancelled apart from very established

So he is showing us the great Wikipedia as his "source" Wow And 1989 is the year Vinnie signed with Enigma so I don't know what the point of that was

And remember, he claimed Enigma was in a position to release the album when it was finished. Although the label was finished and they lost their distribution deal with Capitol etc. And artists like Stryper and others left.

I really don't understand why someone who gets everything wrong thinks they must respond all the time. You just dig yourself a deeper hole.

After he said this in another thread! Of course he was Completely Wrong as usual.

Re: Vinnie Vincent new release weekend at Martina McBride's studio in Nashville May 19 & 20th
Post by doublev2 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:17 pm

Enigma were in position to release...why would they put out an album that they paid for and the artist used the recording to try and get a better deal? On top of that 1990 this music was so out of date for the target teenage audience .

So funny he keeps talking about 1989 all the time. Prior to Vinnie even beginning recording the album (which started in 1990).
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I ask the admin to remove Luxor as he or she is extremely aggressive , constant gaslighting and accusing me constantly of lying. Why should anyone post here under these conditions
Bye Bye
drmoorejr

Post by drmoorejr »

doublev2 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:26 pm I ask the admin to remove Luxor as he or she is extremely aggressive , constant gaslighting and accusing me constantly of lying. Why should anyone post here under these conditions
I am not seeing how the post was aggressive... I think having a good debate is better than an echo chamber.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Calling me a liar and saying everything I do is a lie and claiming I am lying about my dead father. That's not a debate.
A debate you be nice and get your point across. Luxor has for years constantly said I am a liar and other things. That's not a debate
Bye Bye
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

drmoorejr wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:58 am
doublev2 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:26 pm I ask the admin to remove Luxor as he or she is extremely aggressive , constant gaslighting and accusing me constantly of lying. Why should anyone post here under these conditions
I am not seeing how the post was aggressive... I think having a good debate is better than an echo chamber.
Its not aggressive. No gaslighting etc.

He's just made because he made a huge blunder and he got called out on it, yet again!

He's the one who constantly questioned every post. He got upset about trade magazine stories being posted. He questioned their validity, you name it. Then he has the gall to complain when he gets called out for posting so much false information. Or he claims Robert said stuff all the time, yet he can't produce one thing to back up those claims.

He even acted like the billboard story with Chrysalis execs saying VVI helped break Slaughter wasn't accurate. He (and he got others to demand a screen cap of it. Now that's even been posted. The screen cap just backed up what was posted here (that he and others questioned). He's great at questioning things but when he gets called out for using Wikipedia as a source, his "changing stories and claims" and just the fact that his words on this board don't match up with anyone of his claims.

And if my dad had worked for Chyrsalis/ EMI at an executive level back then, you don't think I would have had gotten all the marketing materials, sales info, you name it. I would have been at album release parties and everything else. And backstage for a ton of shows.

And even if Captiol-EMI just had a JV with Enigma, you don't think I would have had dad get me in the studio with Vinnie during the recording of GFH?

I don't even think he met them once back in the day. Much less access to any "inside" stuff from the labels.

Sorry for me being skeptical. Things just don't add up for me.
drmoorejr

Post by drmoorejr »

doublev2 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:16 am .... claiming I am lying about my dead father. That's not a debate.
In that regard you are correct. It sure would be nice if dead parents could left out. But at same time, when would it ever be "ok" to call someone out, because what if a person is lying? Just playing devils' advocate is all.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

drmoorejr wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:15 am
doublev2 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:16 am .... claiming I am lying about my dead father. That's not a debate.
In that regard you are correct. It sure would be nice if dead parents could left out. But at same time, when would it ever be "ok" to call someone out, because what if a person is lying? Just playing devils' advocate is all.

When one claims they've been in the business their whole life and their postings pretty much show the person making that claim doesn't even know the basics of the record business.

When one claims their dad was an exec at EMI, Chrysalis etc, yet they don't even know the basics of Capitol-EMI. And they made the false claim that Capitol-EMI owned Enigma when that isn't true

One would think someone who grew up in the business would know what rotation on MTV meant. They would know the basics of radio airplay and other things. Which that person doesn't.

When called out, one would think some who "claims" they grew up in the business would use legitimate sources. Instead of trade publications and other things, said poster uses Wikipedia and other garbage links. That is so much better and stronger than legitimate news and professional news sources from back in the day.

Not to mention that poster who made all those "claims" attacked people who posted the truth. He even made "claims" (or basically called posters liars) and said they weren't fans back in the day. They falsely claimed if I and others were fans back then we would know MTV didn't give any airplay to VVI videos and nobody in HS cared about them. Of course, when stories from Billboard were posted about what videoplay (rotation) VVI got on MTV, he didn't even know what rotation meant.

He has had no problem falsely calling out other posters.

He now, even can't admit Capitol-EMI never owned Enigma Records.

And he acted like Enigma was in a position to release "Guitars From Hell", when the company was down to virtually no employees, the company was out of money. And he still falsely sides with Robert in Roberts ridiculous claims.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I've posted the proof lol. What the hell. Also my dad died long ago and I was a kid. No one back then knew who owned what just like you can't even research the facts .. how many times do I have to post this diacogos of capitol and enigma . https://www.discogs.com/label/412720-En ... ol-Records
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Enigma Records
Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Glam Metal, Post-Punk, Power Pop
AKA: Enigma Entertainment Corp.
808 Releases
18 followers
Founded
Jan 1982 by William Hein, Wesley Hein
Torrance, CA, United States
Closed
Mar 1991
Address
11264 Playa Court
Culver City, CA, United States
90231-3628
Distributors
Jem Records, Important Record Distributors, Inc., EMI America, Capitol Records [1986-89]
Label groups
EMI Group [1989-91]
Sub-label of
Greenworld Distribution [1982-85], Capitol Records [1989-91]
EU label code
LC 05163
Enigma Records was founded by brothers William and Wesley Hein in 1982, initially as an independent label within their own music importer/distributor company Greenworld Distribution. Its earliest releases were also distributed by Jem Records, Important Record Distributors, Inc. and, for select titles, EMI America. Enigma became a separate entity from Greenworld in 1985 and signed a distribution agreement with Capitol Records the following year.

In addition to releasing their own albums, Enigma acted as a marketer and distributor for other labels, including Metal Blade Records and Mute Records. Enigma also maintained several sub-label imprints, with Restless Records being the most active. Capitol/EMI acquired the rights to Enigma from the Heins in 1989 and continued to operate the label for a short period. The company and much of its back catalog were merged into Restless in 1991.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Capitol distributed enigma until 1989 then accused the rights (owned it) from. 1989 to when they closed it.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

personal attacks on me by Luxor is unacceptable . As well as.eveeything Luxor arguing about is wrong
Bye Bye
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

doublev2 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:20 am Enigma Records
Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Glam Metal, Post-Punk, Power Pop
AKA: Enigma Entertainment Corp.
808 Releases
18 followers
Founded
Jan 1982 by William Hein, Wesley Hein
Torrance, CA, United States
Closed
Mar 1991
Address
11264 Playa Court
Culver City, CA, United States
90231-3628
Distributors
Jem Records, Important Record Distributors, Inc., EMI America, Capitol Records [1986-89]
Label groups
EMI Group [1989-91]
Sub-label of
Greenworld Distribution [1982-85], Capitol Records [1989-91]
EU label code
LC 05163
Enigma Records was founded by brothers William and Wesley Hein in 1982, initially as an independent label within their own music importer/distributor company Greenworld Distribution. Its earliest releases were also distributed by Jem Records, Important Record Distributors, Inc. and, for select titles, EMI America. Enigma became a separate entity from Greenworld in 1985 and signed a distribution agreement with Capitol Records the following year.

In addition to releasing their own albums, Enigma acted as a marketer and distributor for other labels, including Metal Blade Records and Mute Records. Enigma also maintained several sub-label imprints, with Restless Records being the most active. Capitol/EMI acquired the rights to Enigma from the Heins in 1989 and continued to operate the label for a short period. The company and much of its back catalog were merged into Restless in 1991.

Another false BS story! But keep posting from links that get it wrong.

Capitol-EMI did a JV with Enigma in 1989 as the actual news articles and trade publications point out!
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

doublev2 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:22 am personal attacks on me by Luxor is unacceptable . As well as.eveeything Luxor arguing about is wrong
:lol: :lol:

You are the one who is completely wrong. All you are doing is digging yourself a bigger hole.

Its obvious to everyone now, you have no legitimate connection to the music industry. Anyone whose parent actually worked for EMI etc back in time would have known this.

You haven't posted anything from any legitimate news source or any industry source to refute reality. Try using Billboard and others like I did. You are 100% WRONG!