Enigma Records folded (out of business) Stryper moves on to Hollywood Records (not Capitol)

News and information from 2018 onwards
Luxor

Enigma Records folded (out of business) Stryper moves on to Hollywood Records (not Capitol)

Post by Luxor »

It seems odd how Robert always leaves this part out of the equation when he uses the "Vinnie shopping the album" story. Its also odd that Vinnie would still approve of Robert when he says so much that isn't accurate.

latimes.com
July 2, 1992

Stryper's Sweet Dissatisfaction : The Christian heavy metal band is still trying to reignite the career that stalled when its lead singer and songwriter quit. - Los Angeles Times

Mike Boehm
6–8 minutes

From 1984 to 1990, the best-selling rock band in Orange County was the Christian heavy metal group Stryper, the most prominent Christian hard rock band in the nation. Its five albums during that period sold near or above the 500,000 mark, with “To Hell With the Devil,” from 1986, topping a million.

But today, the band finds itself without a record contract, and without Michael Sweet, the lead singer and main songwriter who fronted Stryper as it rose to fame.

Sweet, 28, left Stryper in January to make his own music. Six months later, the three other original band members are still trying to replace him and reignite their stalled career.

“In essence, it is starting over, a lot of work,” said Robert Sweet, Michael’s drum-playing older brother who is carrying on in Stryper with guitarist Oz Fox and bassist Timothy Gaines.

Robert, 32, said Stryper’s world turned dotty in just one week. First, his brother shocked the band by announcing that he was quitting. Then Stryper’s label, Hollywood Records, informed the band that it was being dropped after only one release, a 1991 “Best Of” collection. (Enigma Records, which released Stryper’s previous albums, had folded the year before.)

“It was kind of like hell week in boot camp,” Robert said. “It’s as if I’m still in boot camp.”

Until last week, Sweet thought Stryper had found a new front man, Dale Thompson, a Kentuckian who performs with another Christian heavy metal band, Bride.

Sweet said Thompson had volunteered to sing for Stryper in February after hearing of Michael Sweet’s departure. Stryper and Bride had toured together last year, Sweet said. “I liked him as a person, and I knew he was a good singer.” Thompson sang two shows with Stryper on May 1 at Knott’s Berry Farm and was ready to join the band permanently--until last week. Then, Sweet said, Thompson informed him that he would not be able to get out of contractual commitments binding him to Bride.

“The game plan now is to start auditioning people,” Sweet said. While Stryper intends to continue emphasizing Christian values and messages, he added, the band is open to working with a singer who doesn’t have a “born-again” commitment.

“I would hope to find a Christian so we can share the same views lyrically and get the same message out there, but there are people who call themselves Christians who don’t act like it, and there are people out there who don’t really know what Christianity is, but their heart is sincere and they can move toward it. It gets down to a matter of the heart, not a matter of the words.”

Sweet said that interested singers (guitar-playing talent is preferred, but not required) can contact Stryper at (714) 739-9631.

Michael Sweet, meanwhile, has made demo recordings, found a new manager and a couple of new band mates, and says he is in negotiations for a record deal.

Speaking over the phone from his home in Fullerton, the younger Sweet said he left Stryper for complex reasons, none of which had to do with personal conflicts.

“It was a lot of things tied up together,” he said. “Music, style, image--a number of things. I felt there was no need for me (in Stryper) anymore. I didn’t have the motivation or desire to stay. I love the guys, and it had nothing to do with us not getting along. But I felt it was time to move along, and I’m happy I did it.”

One reason he left Stryper, he said, is that he no longer wants to be identified as a heavy metal singer. He said his new stylistic emphasis will be mainstream rock along the lines of Bryan Adams or Bon Jovi.

“I don’t know if I’ve gotten old or what, but I’m not a metal guy any more. I could have stayed in (Stryper) and forced a more mainstream (direction), but nobody would have been happy.”

He said he is looking for a record deal like Amy Grant’s that would connect him simultaneously to a Christian label and a secular record company, thereby covering both markets. “My beliefs are stronger than they’ve ever been toward God,” he said. “Musically, I will express my beliefs, definitely.” He said he has recruited two musicians, lead guitarist Michael Shawn, who is from Tennessee, and drummer Jamie Wollam, who played in the Southern California band Surrender. He is still looking for a bassist.

Robert Sweet says he still doesn’t fully understand why his brother left Stryper. The band was flexible enough to pursue Michael’s mainstream rock interests as well as metal, Robert said, noting that Stryper’s past repertoire has included a good deal of pop-based material, such as the ballad “Honestly.”

“It really sent a shock wave through me, and I’m trying to understand how he feels. The hardest thing for me was seeing that we had worked together 15 years, and I couldn’t understand why Michael had to leave. He always was one to say this was like a marriage, but I guess nothing in this world lasts forever.

“I don’t think that he meant to hurt us or cause problems. He just viewed it as his time to go. Mike’s got to be happy, and we have to be understanding of that.”

Michael said he told the band he was leaving before a rehearsal in which Stryper was supposed to begin writing songs for a new album. He said he offered to continue performing with the band while it fulfilled concert bookings that already had been made--including a winter tour of Europe and the May 1 appearance at Knott’s. But he said he later heard through the band’s booking agent that the three other members had taken an attitude that “I’m either in or I’m out,” and had decided to play the shows without him.

“I was real bummed out, but it’s all worked out now,” Michael said.

Leaving Stryper “was weird, because there is that (brotherly) bond,” he added. “But it’s something I had to do. We played together since I was 12 and (Robert) was 15 and the attitude had always been ‘we’ll never break up, the two of us will always stick together,’ and it didn’t happen.

“I have not one bad thing to say about them. They’re great guys. I hope they do well, and I hope we can remain buddies.”

“We still talk, and we only live a mile away from one another,” said Robert, a Buena Park resident. “I just saw him yesterday. He’s my brother, and that’s something that will always be there. Maybe through this (split) something really good will happen. We’re trying to pick up the pieces and realize the show must go on. But it’s a different thing, leaving and being left. The bottom line is, I love my brother, and I told him I’m going to miss him.”
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
doublev2

Re: Enigma Records folded (out of business) Stryper moves on to Hollywood Records (not Capitol)

Post by doublev2 »

Who cares ? And would vinnie care or approve or not approve what robeet did or didn't. Insanity .
Bye Bye
Luxor

Re: Enigma Records folded (out of business) Stryper moves on to Hollywood Records (not Capitol)

Post by Luxor »

WHO CARES?!

After he said this in another thread! Of course he was Completely Wrong as usual.

Re: Vinnie Vincent new release weekend at Martina McBride's studio in Nashville May 19 & 20th
Post by doublev2 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:17 pm

Enigma were in position to release...why would they put out an album that they paid for and the artist used the recording to try and get a better deal? On top of that 1990 this music was so out of date for the target teenage audience .
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I will quit the board once more as this is unacceptable behavior
Bye Bye
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

doublev2 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:29 pm I will quit the board once more as this is unacceptable behavior
I'm sorry you don't like having to deal with the truth behind Enigma/Capitol-EMI.

But if I don't see you anymore, Bye
VVDimebagVV

Post by VVDimebagVV »

If Vinnie could save KISS and the Nightmare on Elm street series then he should have been able to save Enigma records. 😏
pullitt

Post by pullitt »

I'm not reading all that until you release the damn music already.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

VVDimebagVV wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:49 pm If Vinnie could save KISS and the Nightmare on Elm street series then he should have been able to save Enigma records. 😏
Maybe he could have saved them if the album had been ready before the label was already imploding.

But at least he was able to pivot so quickly and had Gene and Paul begging him to write with them for Revenge. Just think if he hadn't saved their butt again.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

He pivoted so quickly into his own obvlivion, that's for sure. He pivoted straight down a one way street and into a brick wall.

Living well is the best Revenge and Vinne wasn't living well.

I will also say this Lux, your posts are soooooo hard to read through so I get where pullitt is coming from.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Genebaby wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:33 am He pivoted so quickly into his own obvlivion, that's for sure. He pivoted straight down a one way street and into a brick wall.

Living well is the best Revenge and Vinne wasn't living well.

I will also say this Lux, your posts are soooooo hard to read through so I get where pullitt is coming from.
What is hard to read?

Readers Digest Version. Capitol-Emi purchased 50% of Enigma for a JV in 1989. They never owned the company. By November of 1990, they were "divorcing" the JV. Enigma was completely finished by April/May 1991.

Robert's "story" about shopping the album and upsetting Enigma so it wasn't released was Robert making things up. The label was already imploding when Vinnie began shopping the album. Hollywood Records was interested in buying out his contract. But they eventually didn't. I'm sure the huge recording cost of the album made it prohibitive for them to buy.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Look, I took a few days off when I saw all the new posts you had done, mostly about the same thing, flooded with bad text. I knew I needed strength to attempt to read this stuff but even then I skim a lot, I think most people do.

We get it, Enigma, JV etc.

Nobody here goes to sleep smiling in the faithul belief about this stuff, it wont change the world, it won't change so many things Vinnie has done and continues to do.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

The owner of enigmas LinkedIn. Bill Hein. Look down at his experience. Enigma Records
https://www.linkedin.com/in/williamhein

"Executive Chairman and Founder
Enigma Records
Jan 1982 - Mar 1991 .9 yrs 3 mos
Culver City, CA
ENIGMA.
One of the most successful independent
record labels of the '80s; roster included
platinum artists Poison, Red Hot Chili
Peppers, Motley Crue, Berlin, Stryper, The
Smithereens, Devo, Motorhead, The Cramps
Terminator soundtrack, and a coventure deal
with Mute Records; set up European office in
Amsterdam and Canadian office in Toronto;
negotiated international distribution deal
with Richard Branson's Virgin Records:
acquired by Capitol-EMI Music,"

I know Luxor likes info from readers digest and linked of the actual owner will not be enough lol
Bye Bye