Vinnie conned Goran Edman to sing on his demos

News and information from 2018 onwards
metalmike76

Vinnie conned Goran Edman to sing on his demos

Post by metalmike76 »

In this clip from the 80’s Glam Metalcast, Goran Edman explains what Vinnie called an “Audition” was really 14 days of singing on his demos....for free! Listen here:
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Vinnie conned Goran Edman to sing on his demos

Post by Genebaby »

Oh Vinnie....
Commander in chief - VVF Army
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

Conned? I doubt the people who posted and responded even bothered to actually listen to what Goran said because its actually very pro Vinnie.

Goran admits Vinnie did exactly what he said he would do. The second Vinnie got another record deal he called Goran and wanted to fly him to the US and make him part of his new project.

This is a great 'positive' Vinnie story.

Another part of what Goran confirms is Vinnie was offered a record deal from a huge major label - Sony! That's pretty impressive.

As it turns out, it looks like Vinnie should have signed with Sony instead of a label that went under because of money problems. It's too bad Vinnie didn't talk with Bob Kulick before he signed with Enigma. The album was recorded in late 1988. That was one of the reasons Bob Kulick tried to get Bobby Rock to be part of Paul Stanley's solo band.

Skull might have gotten a half ***ed release in 1991. I don't think it charted on Billboard one week.

It also seems like Vinnie went back to the new owners of Chrysalis (EMI) and pitched his new project after he had left the old nightmare Chrysalis. Slaughter sure benefited from the new ownership flush with cash. Who knows what would have happened if EMI had come in prior to ASG's release.

But it is nice to see Vinnie kept his word with Goran and was offered a deal with a major like Sony. Too bad none of those Kiss books ever mentioned that.

Here's a story from 2016 about Chris Wright returning to Chrysalis 27 years after he sold it (1989)
https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/ ... -raincoat/
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It is actually interesting, the other cicrumstances, but in the beginning Goran obviously got the feeling that he might be doing this for nothing.

He had sung most of the first Invasion album already, so this was his second go with Vinnie, and he's not the first to have a not great experience but return to Vinnie. It happened with Robert F, after this second round with Goran Vinnie got Robert back, and poor Tom Palecki got screwed on that first Pear VVV guitar, but was still convinced to build four new ones, and to be ripped off on those as Vinnie has been selling them off when he can despite paying nothing.

Knowing that Goran had been passed before, mainly due to his accent and inability to not say Winnie Wincent, it is strange Vinnie would call him again and seem to offer something real. Of course things never took their full course, so who knows how it would have played out. Imagine Goran turning down Yngwie because of Vinnie. From what we heard Vinnie did seem sincere but history has shown he made the right choice. Vinnie went on with Robert and still nothing.

And if Vinnie got a deal with Sony he really should have taken it. Going back to Chyrsalis is also confusing. They let him go and he should have been happy about that as he was so unhappy when he was with them. Why go back?
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

I don't know why Goram would be upset about the first time. Vinnie wanted him. Vinnie wanted him bad. That was Dana and Sewitt.

Just imagine how different things would have been is George had not lied to the label. George should have been fired right then. Or if nothing else, all his commissions should go towards paying back Chrysalis (what I'm sure they charged to Vinnie's account).

it would make sense for Vinnie to go back to Chrysalis after the "purge". They had his back catalogue. Mike Bone and others who completely screwed up ASG was out. The company that was on the verge of bankruptcy was now flush with cash.

I would imagine the terms of the Sony contract were not as generous as Enigma offered. He probably had much more freedom. As seems evident since he was spending hundreds of thousands of dollars recording an album (over 6 studios used). From a creative standpoint, you probably couldn't ask for more. The problem is they ran out of all the money they got from selling a portion of their label in 1989 or 1990 and they were bankrupt and we never got "Guitarmageddon".

But one would think the Sony "revelation" would have been a huge topic on 3 Sides and others. Or maybe not because it proves how in demand Vinnie was. And it proves he could offers far easier than any of the other KISSers
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It's also new news that Goran sang again for Vinnie so much, and the big news is there are more Goran vocals on Vinnie songs, or is there only the first album ones he sang on? Did he do that in 88/89 in this time frame?

Until now we have not known that he was doing things with Vinnie after Invasion split up, so there is a fair few songs we've never heard at all, or this is the time he sang many songs from VVI one?
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

I wonder why Metal Mike left out all the horrible stuff Goran had to say about Malmsteen.

Not only was he lousy drunk who sucked in the studio. He treated his band mates like cattle. Ripped them off. Goran had to sue to get paid and then it took 3 years.

Goran probably would have been much better off with Vinnie.
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

Genebaby wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:13 am It's also new news that Goran sang again for Vinnie so much, and the big news is there are more Goran vocals on Vinnie songs, or is there only the first album ones he sang on? Did he do that in 88/89 in this time frame?

Until now we have not known that he was doing things with Vinnie after Invasion split up, so there is a fair few songs we've never heard at all, or this is the time he sang many songs from VVI one?
Since it appears this interview has been out for months, isn't it a shame Braun didn't ask relevant questions like that. Nor did he ask about the record deal with Sony or so many other things. Mike didn't even ask about Vinnie going to back to Incarnation #3 at Chrysalis (at least for him) and shop his new album.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

So many missed opportunities....
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

VVA has 15 posts and is kicking ass! 8)

And no doubt about Malmsteen. He is a knob gobbler. After 30 years I finally got to see him back in 2015 and I was gobsmacked at the ridiculous stage setup. 20 odd Marshall heads (looked like 2 were switched on!) and nearly as many 4 x 12 cabs. All his gear took up 3/4 of the stage with the drummer, the bassist (who kept calling Malmsteen The Maestro... barf! :roll:) and the keyboardist/mediocre vocalist all crammed together over on the left side of the stage. It looks stupid. I could barely hear the keys and I was standing dead centre on the floor. I enjoyed ita as I'd waited so many years to finally see him but I left feeling a little bit meh. He is still using this stage setup today, crazy.

I was surprised that for such a perfectionist, he had the keyboardist as the vocalist. Saving money perhaps?

He may be an alright studio singer but live, he was not a stellar performer. Looked like he was good on the keys but as I said, I couldn't hear him.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

shramiac wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:55 pm VVA has 15 posts and is kicking ass! 8)

And no doubt about Malmsteen. He is a knob gobbler. After 30 years I finally got to see him back in 2015 and I was gobsmacked at the ridiculous stage setup. 20 odd Marshall heads (looked like 2 were switched on!) and nearly as many 4 x 12 cabs. All his gear took up 3/4 of the stage with the drummer, the bassist (who kept calling Malmsteen The Maestro... barf! :roll:) and the keyboardist/mediocre vocalist all crammed together over on the left side of the stage. It looks stupid. I could barely hear the keys and I was standing dead centre on the floor. I enjoyed ita as I'd waited so many years to finally see him but I left feeling a little bit meh. He is still using this stage setup today, crazy.

I was surprised that for such a perfectionist, he had the keyboardist as the vocalist. Saving money perhaps?

He may be an alright studio singer but live, he was not a stellar performer. Looked like he was good on the keys but as I said, I couldn't hear him.
I only saw Malmsteen live a few times. One was when the guy from Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) was his lead singer. Turner was a great singer. I wish Vinnie could have had him do some demos. Same with Graham Bonnett.

If I remember right, Vinnie got hooked up with Jeff Scott Soto when he was singing for Kuni. Mark and Dana went over to Japan for Japan Aid. I don't know why Vinnie didn't go. I don't think he did.

Here is Mark totally butchering Rock and Roll All Night around 34:30 it starts
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, Mark was not suited to that song, I wonder why they chose to do it?

Reminds me of this clip of Paul:

I had it on VHS and it was a few years that it dawned on me that Paul was singing a Gene song. Why did he do that one and not something he normally sings.