Vinnie and the shredd

News and information from 2018 onwards
Genebaby
Site Admin

Vinnie and the shredd

Post by Genebaby »

A MESSAGE FROM : VINNIE VINCENT 

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay, but my schedule has been swamped. So here it is.

Bottom line,

I don’t shredd unless I have my own guitar rig which produces my guitar tone.

It’s really that simple.

I’m not aware of any or many guitarists that would simply walk on stage and plug into anything without extensive time to achieve a tone that’s conducive to that person’s style and what they are used to hearing when they execute their craft. It takes time and many complex elements to achieve the tone to that particular guitarist.

The Miami show was no different than when I sat in with Kiss tribute bands in the 90’s, expos etc, and then in Europe, Sweden in particular, it was always the same. Vinnie sitting in to play a few VINNIE Kiss songs.

And It was the same situation in Miami. 

As I recall, my performance was eventually contracted to perform 2 VINNIE KISS tribute songs with the band. Since I had a show at Chiller in NJ the day before, and had to drive 24 hrs non stop from NJ to Miami in one day to make the show, I wanted what was easiest for me given the duress of the non stop drive.

I had no intention to transport my guitar rig on the long trip for a shredd performance especially since I was only sitting in with the band for 2 songs, which given the strenuous travel involved, made the most sense to me....

I intended it to be just what it was all the times prior, sit in with the house band for 2 tribute VINNIE KISS SONGS, no VINNIE SHREDD.

That was fine, I thought nothing of it. The band and I played 2 VINNIE KISS songs live that we rehearsed. I remember we tried a third song on the spot. Many of these songs are forgotten to me since I don’t live kiss songs like the fans do, so there’s always a bit of "winging it" going on.

We rehearsed the 2 songs the night before for what seemed like an hour or so and that was that. There wasn't time for much more. The show came and went and I had fun and the audience did too.

Then someone invented an internet crime and found me guilty of not shredding. I thought they were kidding, but like everything today, it snowballed out of control growing tentacles at each turn. I laughed at the absurdity of this manufactured nonsense, and since i don’t pander to bullies or insanity, I let it go. The truth comes forward eventually, which it did on August 10 at the BIRTHDAY BASH for those who attended.

In retrospect, I should have done a 30 minute SHREDD SHOW as my contracted performance and NOT sit in with a band to play cover songs, but it went a different way, which at the time was inconsequential as I didn't think anything of it. Since my travel deadline was nothing less than a nightmare, I needed to do as i said what was easiest on me. Play 2 songs and leave. As with every untested situation, there are always unknown factors at play, so i didn't want to risk the quality of my performance.

I now know that a tribute "sit in” won’t ever happen again. From now on, any contracted show requiring me to perform will by absolute necessity, be a Shredd show, regardless of the logistics.

Which is just as well because In terms of sheer shredding, I’m most comfortable on stage ALONE with my guitar rig, doing my thing. And that is the simplicity of it. 

Unless I’ve had ample time to physically jamm it out with a band whose players are unknown to me, even if I have my own guitar rig, I prefer it to be just me on stage. Even in putting together and having your own band, there's always a breaking in period before things start to gel. 

Life is about lessons learned. So from here on forward, it’s a VINNIE VINCENT SHREDD SHOW. That’s that.

Have a great day everyone. 

My best, VINNIE
Commander in chief - VVF Army
VikingVVFan

Re: Vinnie and the shredd

Post by VikingVVFan »

And even more talk..
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I wonder what show he would be booked on to shred. Hard to think anyone will book him but would be nice
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

True. Others have also noticed that while Vinnie is hell bent on "shredd" and talking about it, most everyone else just wants him to "play" music, rather than a bunch of notes.

If the shredd is part of a VVI song, cool, but not so much my itself if that's still there is. It's a perfect example of style but no substance.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Agreed! And with the tech out there today, he could easily get an amp modeller that could mimic the sound he loves without any effort! Just need his favourite guitar, a couple of cables and the foot pedal/small rack unit/PC software that'll dish out the good sounds.

Pedal choices... Fractal Ax8, Line 6 Helix, Boss GT1000, Mooer GE300, Kemper, Headrush, ISP Theta Pro...etc

Rack choices...Fractal AxFX, Kemper....etc

PC software... Fortin, Bias Amp, Amplitube, Waves by PRS..... there heaps out there & they're all cheap really. Great for home recording! Hint, hint, hint! ;)

Not that I like his music but, I enjoy watching Ola Englund's videos. He does a lot of software modelling reviews. The other good one is Glenn DeLaune who writes custom patches for most of the foot pedals and rack gear.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
metatron

Post by metatron »

I've seen & played with guitarist who have simply plugged a BOSS Turbo Over Drive pedal into an amp and let it rip rockken & it was more than fine.
Yes, I understand one's own rig is one own rig, but why not put plug in and play for those two KISS song. They were pre VV rig days. Hey, they were Paul Stanley lending VV guitars, let alone complicated rigs.
And if he played the Birthday Bash, where is the proof. Again 30sec of unedited crapped hand held cell phone footage would have let sleeping dogs lie. All I can say is buyer be ware. I for one what to know what $US500 will get me - Same as I know what I will get with a KISS ticket.
Also I don't have $US3000 to gamble on flights, accommodation and tickets and then it is cancelled. I want to believe. Make me a believer.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
n3p

Post by n3p »

Has a guitar player actually vouched for vinnie's ability from his birthday bash?

I mean, if I just randomly wailed notes quickly to my non guitar playing friends they'd be amazed. I'm trying to give him the benefit of doubt but it'd be cool to get some more insight
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
RipRokken

Post by RipRokken »

n3p wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:32 am Has a guitar player actually vouched for vinnie's ability from his birthday bash?

I mean, if I just randomly wailed notes quickly to my non guitar playing friends they'd be amazed. I'm trying to give him the benefit of doubt but it'd be cool to get some more insight
Yes. Simon Florez is a shredder himself, and was standing to my left about a foot in front of Vinnie. I posted his breakdown on technique in one of the podcast threads on KissFAQ.
n3p

Post by n3p »

Thanks man, I'll go find it and give it a listen :)
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It's good for an actual guitarist to vouch.

True story. When I first got my REH instructional video I wasn't playing guitar and literally didn't notice that Vinnie was miming to the guitar parts at the start. I thought I was seeing him shred through the solos for the camera.

Fast forward a few years, I'm playing guitar now and it's painfully obvious that Vinnie is miming, and how come I didn't notice his bored expression before? I guess I really wasn't paying that much attention.
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

I’d say the only part with VV smiling is when he mimes his solos, right after the first long solo/impro. Or maybe at the end when he thanks people.
Love this video...
say two sky two say fare
metatron

Post by metatron »

Genebaby wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:39 pm It's good for an actual guitarist to vouch.

True story. When I first got my REH instructional video I wasn't playing guitar and literally didn't notice that Vinnie was miming to the guitar parts at the start. I thought I was seeing him shred through the solos for the camera.

Fast forward a few years, I'm playing guitar now and it's painfully obvious that Vinnie is miming, and how come I didn't notice his bored expression before? I guess I really wasn't paying that much attention.
I can take that. I knew VV could play and who knows about what budget costs REH had or were willing to put into it.
So, I can understand VV miming to that.
What I don't get is him doing it on the Four By Fate - KISS Kruise VIII.
Yes, truth be told, Looks like he played a little on it. But I think he was out of practice. If not out of practice then was it;
The Mystic?
The Prestige?
The Illusionist?
Now You See Me?
Now You See Me 2?
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone?
What was he holding back?
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
BengalWACO

Post by BengalWACO »

Vinnie... Don't worry about SHREDDING. Just play some tunes. I don't want a Yngwie Malmstieen or whatever his name is.. Just a Vinnie playing and enjoying life.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Just about everyone prefers if Vinnie would just play.

People want to hear songs, not just notes.

That's what made the VVI and Kiss material so good, they were good songs too.