Wolfi RR Build

By Tom Palecki
tukoztukoz

Re: Wolfi RR Build

Post by tukoztukoz »

AZGuitars wrote:Shramiac - Yeah, I'm still waiting for the Floyd Trem to get here so I can use it for the correct dimensions.
It's been on order for a couple of months now.
Hi Tom,

I'm wondering about those correct dimensions. They say on Floyd or Schaller ads that the space between the two Floyd holes is 74.3 mm. Is there any difference between Floyds?
Also, what is the maximal difference we can have about all this (between the "official" 74.3 mm and the guitar holes'space) ? Would 74mm be ok? 73.8mm? 74.6mm?
say two sky two say fare
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Just got word yesterday that the trem is on the way. In the mean time I'm having a Jackson logo made for the headstock. Today I'm putting the black base coat on and will be taking photos of this operation to post here.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Perfect pink color.
What trem are you waiting on. Is it v inlays jackson style. Please put an azg or pear logo wolfi not a jackson. This is so much better than jackson could ever dream of.
Bye Bye
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Or maybe instead of "custom shop - made in USA", write something with AZG or Pear. This guitar is unique, and there are so many RR's...
say two sky two say fare
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

...I mean Jackson RR's
say two sky two say fare
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yeah too many various quality jacksons. I would take pear or azg myself but whatever tom and wolfi want is cool. hope I have not been too much with this.
Bye Bye
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

What I was thinking was that I would make the guitar look as close as possible to the real one and for some reason I got it in my mind that the trem was a Floyd. Anyway the trem is coming in next week and it's black like the rest of the hardware. I can put an AZG on the back of the headstock and sign it but otherwise when it's hanging on the wall it will look like an original Jackson. We'll see what's up when Wolfi chimes in. The Voyager guitar that I built, which was my third one, had a Jackson trem on it and I never thought it was very good. So I think Vinnie would have had them put a Floyd on his guitar. But at this point only the SHADOW knows for sure.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Jackson did not have a branded Trem until 1987, and even then Vinnie's main guitars had the original Floyds without fine tuners. He has been seen posing with a couple of Jacksons with the JT6 but it was not his trem of choice.

I believe Wolfi wants this guitar to be a replica of one of Vinnie's Jackson RR's, so it gets the Jackson logo etc.....
Commander in chief - VVF Army
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Yes GB, that has been my impression as well. The only difference will be the fine tuner Floyd? Although looking at the fuzzy visual reference of Vinnie with the guitar it is hard to tell the difference in the type of trem he used.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The fine tuner Floyd is a good thing, that's how Jackson would build one.
wolfgang161272

Post by wolfgang161272 »

I wanna have a perfect replica of a Jackson VV, so that I have a Jackson logo at zhe headstock. In the back side an AZG logo would be cool :)
This will be my best guitar I have !
Wolfi
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Thanks guys. That's the way I've been heading on this build since the beginning discussions.
Now all I have to do is get'r done.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Ok i get it. I can not wait to see it
Bye Bye
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Well, now it's official . . . . Logo applied.

wolfgang161272

Post by wolfgang161272 »

This is soon cool !
Like it :)
Wolfi
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Good job, it looks great.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Oh my !!!!
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Remember folks, EVERY guitar ordered from Tom Palecki/Pear/ AZG Guitars, Poserboy DNA is personally applied by me via boogers, semen, spit, blood, etc...

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

That may not be the biggest selling point Rick!!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

That explains the loo roll on the work bench!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Lil Ricky!
metatron

Post by metatron »

poserboy71 wrote:Remember folks, EVERY guitar ordered from Tom Palecki/Pear/ AZG Guitars, Poserboy DNA is personally applied by me via boogers, semen, spit, blood, etc...
Well, how else would I be able to obtain the sacred information woven in the strands of dna for ones RIFE machine.
(I know Dino, as you said....'I love what's in danniis head.' LOL!)
Attachments
IMG_3206.jpg
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

So many shortcuts on that screen!!! :shock:

Tom, do you have some other "Jackson" projects on the horizon or did you have to buy x amount of decals?
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

I got 5 copies of the logo just incase.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Im actually a drummer...but...but ...Im drooling. this is so cool! I would want one too =)
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Finishing the fret work today, drilling trem mount holes and will be masking up for the final clear coats.
The Floyd trem is in the shop and it's real pretty too. Will also be milling holes for pots and switch in the
front control plate. It's getting close to final assembly here.

poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Beautiful pink color !

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Woo Hoo!
wolfgang161272

Post by wolfgang161272 »

The contrast between the black and pink color looks amazing!
Wolfi
Possio

Post by Possio »

Nice build, What an endeavour ! I was wondering, did you manage to get any neck angle happening? (some 4-5 degrees, like a Les Paul has?).
I have heard different stories on the Jackson V neck angle aspect..some said they had more angle back in the Dan Dimas´s building days, and then later not so much (if any?) neck angle..? just something I´ve heard..?
/Ollie, Stockholm, Sweden
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ollie, in the 80's, when the Floyd was top mounted, there was neck angle, like a LP, to compensate so that the strings could be level and low with the strings.

As the Floyd progressively sunk lower and lower into the body, and we have the recessed Floyds which are very common today, there is virtually no angle, as it's not required, because if it was there, the guitar would be unplayable.

So neck angle is based on what bridge you have and what's required to give good action.

You could sink the bridge of a LP into the body and reduce the neck angle if you wanted too.
Possio

Post by Possio »

Aha, Thanks for the heads up! didnt know that..
but, from my personal experience, neck angle does indeed have an effect on the "feel" of the instrument,
a matter of preference I guess, if one likes it or doesnt is another question. Some LP´s have more than others, the very early fifties LP´s had less then the later ones, supposedly?

Some people claim the angle does something (positive) to the sustain/tone of a Les Paul, (our friend Ace F. had some ideas on this in an old guitar mag I seem to remember..) But again, if it is beneficial in any way on a Jackson Rhoads "RR1" I have no idea..I was just wondering if this was built exactly like an old San Dimas or somewhat later Jackson RR1.
Take care, Ollie
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

This one is old style.

The neck angle does indeed have an effect on tone and sustain but with a locking nut the difference is gone, but the over all feel of the guitar is still there, different to a guitar with little or no angle.

My early guitars had angled necks and my first go of a band members Ibanez, which looked like it was angled, but wasn't, was strange. Now I'm totally used to it and my main guitar for years was a bolt on with recessed Floyd.

My current players are Charvels with old style non recessed Floyd's, and that's cool too.
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Wow I didn't expect such a hugh bunch of replies on my post. Thanks everyone.
As for the neck angle, in my side view layout drawing I came up with a 1.5º angle on the neck so that's where
it is. I took a long time on the drawing to make sure that it was correct for this guitar. I have also checked
it several times during the build to making sure it's right as I go along. When I get the Floyd mounted I'll
know for sure.
My Scorpion guitars have either a flat mount Schaller bridge or a recessed Floyd so there's no neck angle.
Possio

Post by Possio »

Hello all, I just Googled a bit and found this: Posted a long time ago on another Forum, "jcfonline" some intersting ideas..
According to this poster, "pro-fusion", a pre 85 (San Dimas) factory built RR1 utilized a 4 degree Neck Angle, supposedly..

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/50984- ... s-New-ones
Quote:
"Re: 1985 Jackson Rhodes vs New ones
SD stands for Jackson's original San Dimas factory, which was where they made guitars until about mid-1986. Some people believe there is a special mojo to the SD guitars, and especially to the pre-'86 guitars--most likely because they were producing far fewer guitars at that point, and so sometimes you'll see a little more attention to detail or quirkiness in them.
Anyway, an '85 Rhoads will differ in some substantial ways from today's production RR1 model.

--Neck angle and bridge. Any '85 Rhoads you find is either going to have a Tuneomatic, Kahler, or non-recessed Floyd bridge. As a result, the bridge sits higher and the neck is given a 4 degree angle, much like a Gibson. The modern RR1 has a recessed Floyd, and thus does not use an angled neck."

Cheers, Ollie
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Beautiful work tom
Bye Bye
birnie

Post by birnie »

great stuff Tom
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

After about 5 days + of the worst combination head and chest cold I've ever had, I'm back at it again.
Here's the RR with it's new clear coat. I used a new clear material from ALSA CORP.
(if you're curious go to http://www.alsacorp.com and check out some of the new paint products
they offer). This new material is called Super CLear, comes already thinned for spraying and ready for
catalyst. It sprays really nicely as well. Enough jibber-jabber, here's the pic.

birnie

Post by birnie »

Looks so good you could eat it !
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

What's the mark on the back of the headstock? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Looks great Tom! Ten thumbs up! 8) 8) 8)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It's lookin' super good!!!!
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

The mark on the back of the headstock is one of my AZ Guitars logos. It's under the clear coat too so it's not going anywhere.
Here's my collection of logo transfers ready to apply to my new builds.

shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I was just being a smarty pants Tom! :P :D
wolfgang161272

Post by wolfgang161272 »

It looks sooooo amazing!
Great great great!
Wolfi
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Feels like I'm lagging a bit on this build but my OCD is really kicking in here lately.
The color, Primer / Base coat White / Neon Pink / Clear Coat have come out much thicker than
just the Clear Coat on the binding alone leaving a ridge along the edge of the color. So, I've lightly wet
sanded the color edge being careful not to sand into it, then masking off all but the
binding and headstock face and re-clearing those areas. After sanding them to give them
some "tooth", masking off all of the color areas and applying 3 coats of clear with my mini-gun. And I'm
still not happy with it so I'm doing it again. The thing is, ultimately, it's going to be really nice and
smooth now where the color meets the binding. Then I'll be really happy with the results. ( I hope ).
OR, I don't want to think about it.

Here's what it looks like right now . . . .
wolfgang161272

Post by wolfgang161272 »

It's interesting the way you clear a problem. I'm impressed, really Tom!
Wolfi
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I just think Tom has shares in the paint tape company and is boosting their sales figures! :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Great attention to detail. 8) 8) 8)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The pursuit of perfection!!

Post by 1031 »

Your a true artist Tom and have respect for your skills, I am glad your putting a AZ tag on the back of the neck under the clear. I am not a fan of repro builds with a original logo.
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

1031 wrote:Your a true artist Tom and have respect for your skills, I am glad your putting a AZ tag on the back of the neck under the clear. I am not a fan of repro builds with a original logo.
I understand your reasoning but this guitar, because of attention to detail and only one person tending to it, is at least equal to the quality of those early Custom Jackson Guitars. Jackson would fuck you hard monetarily for a build of this quality today.

Again, The difference is one person vs. and assembly line.

I also think it is cool that Tom is putting his logo on the guitar.

NEWBEGINNINGS