AZG/ Pear Guitars

By Tom Palecki
poserboy71

AZG/ Pear Guitars

Post by poserboy71 »

Tom, Please share the long list of guitars you have made HERE.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
AZGuitars

Re: AZG/ Pear Guitars

Post by AZGuitars »

I plan to get into this topic with a ton of photos etc, and I'm starting with the photo of the 4 mid-build VV guitars. In fact this is it, below. I'm also reposting here today the 4 VV Guitars 2011 NAMM catalog photos just so the readers can see some of my most recent work.
As for these particular designs I won't be able to build copies of them due to legal restrictions.
Plus, they are a bitch to build!

The FINISHED FAB FOUR below:

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks Tom. What I find interesting is that the guitar with 24 frets also has two pickups. Something Vinnie did with the Carvin he had.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Awesome work.
Bye Bye
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

You got it GB. Although I don't know whether Carvin did that or he did. He did tell me that the Carvin was/is his favorite as it had a 24 3/4" scale with 2 & 5/8" nut. I think he had small hands and that set up worked better for him. Thats also the setup he had me do on the 92 PEAR.

And thanks Doublev2.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

AZGuitars wrote:You got it GB. Although I don't know whether Carvin did that or he did. He did tell me that the Carvin was/is his favorite as it had a 24 3/4" scale with 2 & 5/8" nut. I think he had small hands and that set up worked better for him. Thats also the setup he had me do on the 92 PEAR.

And thanks Doublev2.
Small hands, small penis.

Who am I kidding ? My hands are big and my schmeckle is probably smaller than Venice Angel's labia.

NEWBEGINNINGS
birnie

Post by birnie »

I just love that photo with all 4 unfinished together!
Did you redo that shot when all were finished ?
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Probably should have but didn't. I was probably afraid of scratching them.

Post by 1031 »

Tom did you do the paint work as well.. all those had ridicules paint jobs. Also if you did on the gold leaf what poly did you use on that one.
I did a gold leaf about six years ago and had the poly release in a couple areas after about two years. Guess its possible I had some air trapped somewhere. Only paint I ever spent so much prep time and was insanely careful about contamination and had a bad result. Never did another because of it. I still think it was a cure issue with the poly I used.

Anyway thought I would ask.. Thanks in advance ! Glad your here, always been a fan of your work !
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I and 5/8" nut I think Tom means, which is an R2! That is waaaay too narrow for my meat hooks!

Les Paul scale on the Carvin!?!?! Interesting..........

Love the Silver and White AZGs by the way! 8) 8) 8)
Last edited by shramiac on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

poserboy71 wrote:Who am I kidding ? My hands are big and my schmeckle is probably smaller than Venice Angel's labia.
That big! Geez! You'd give Ron Jeremy a run for his money!!!!

Sarcasm people......no need for lawyers!!! :| :mrgreen:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Reply to 1031:
Yes I painted them all myself. Been doing that stuff for 30 years. Guess I've got figured out by now but, you know, it's kind of weird sometimes. If you're not careful it can bite you in the ass. I've had to redo a few jobs before.

Shramiac: Yes you're correct 2 & 5/8 is too large for him.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Tom the board on the gold one looks lighter. Maybe just in photo. Is it possible to make a bronze leaf effect or dark gold?
Bye Bye
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Several things could apply here . . . .

The fret board may be rosewood. The lighting may be brighter on that one on Ebony because I photographed them all on a stand in my backyard outside my shop under a warm December sun. It also can be that when I Photoshopped that picture I was driving for best showing of the gold leaf. Truth is I honestly don't remember.
At the time I was also doing all of the graphics for the catalog, a 8-1/2 X 11 hand out, the art for the banner, and business cards. That was about 400+ unpaid hours which is also not deductible on taxes.
Does the word "SCREWED" apply here?
Every thing I did for "Mr. Picky" was scrutinized down to a gnat's eyelash and mostly needed modifications with every submission.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

AZGuitars wrote:Several things could apply here . . . .

The fret board may be rosewood. The lighting may be brighter on that one on Ebony because I photographed them all on a stand in my backyard outside my shop under a warm December sun. It also can be that when I Photoshopped that picture I was driving for best showing of the gold leaf. Truth is I honestly don't remember.
At the time I was also doing all of the graphics for the catalog, a 8-1/2 X 11 hand out, the art for the banner, and business cards. That was about 400+ unpaid hours which is also not deductible on taxes.
Does the word "SCREWED" apply here?
Every thing I did for "Mr. Picky" was scrutinized down to a gnat's eyelash and mostly needed modifications with every submission.
SCREWED most certainly applies!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

My first thought was you were trying to bring out the gold more in photophobia which may result in a browner looking board even though it was black. I think other pictures it looked more black however I do like the rosewood look on that guitar.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Golden brown certainly works.

I'm cool with an R2 nut, some of my Charvels are like that though R3 is more standard.

R4 string spacing is too wide on the same size board for me.

Mr Picky, I like that.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Yeah doublev2! And the shadow fins were shot with a brownish gold tinted clear coat to get the antique effect. Might be neat to do a gold leaf with an overall darker clear coat. In fact this gives me a thought for the Arrow guitar that I mentioned a while back. Hmmmm.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Did you consult vv on the double neck and basses that were also advertised at namm?
Tom do you have any plans for other v shaped guitars not in vv design?
Bye Bye
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

For PoserBoy, I can direct anyone that is interested in a lot of my past builds to my blog that I started a good while back. The address is http://www.azguitars.wordpress.com

Incidentally, I started building guitars in earnest after I was laid off, from the coolest job I ever had, at Atari. I was the Senior Product Designer for the Home Computer Division and after the layoff I found myself with a lot of time on my hands but started getting freelance work from people that I had worked with at Atari. So my industry connections began to kick in and off I went into self employment. This is when the guitar thing began to happen for me. I had wanted to do some things there for several years and this was the time to start.
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Doublev2
Yes, I did consult on the other guitars which are the Double Neck and the Bass. So I basically drew up the designs but that's as far as they went. After the 2011 NAMM the whole business concept crashed and burned.
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

Tom, how did you find Vinnie or how did Vinnie find you and started your association in the 90's ?
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

I met him at NAMM 2001. He was at the Dean Markley Booth signing posters as he was endorsing Markley's strings at that time. I was with my cousin Wesley and he saw Vinnie first and started dragging me over to the booth while telling me it was Ace. So we get over there and Wes says hi Ace and Vinnie with a little bit angry tone says "I'm not Ace, I'm Vinnie Vincent". So I handed him one of my PEAR Custom guitar Flyers and he say wow these look pretty good and would you build one for me? Of course I say yes. So he explains that he'd like a new double V but more streamlined than the Jacksons and as I had to get back to Northern CA we arranged to have Wesley meet him at shopping center and hash out the details. That's where the rough sketch was developed.
Back at my shop I did a pencil layout on vellum and got a blue print made and sent back to Vinnie. He made some corrections, sent it back and I redid the drawing per his changes. After getting an ok I started building, sent him color scheme concepts which he ok's also. He sent it back with the pickups and bridge and I completed it into raw wood. Then I sent photos back to him for more ok's, got 'em and proceeded to finish the guitar.
Somewhere here on the forum I just posted a run down of what happened when he saw the guitar for the first time. For one thing he didn't like the shape of the neck though and asked me to reshape it using the dimensions from his Carvin which at that time was his fav. Diane told me at NAMM 2011 that the PEAR became his favorite after he got it back with the new shape. And that's history.
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

coool !!!!
1991 you mean, right?
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yes I think he means 1991
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Tom is your cousin Wesley still working on guitars?
Bye Bye
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Top of the Post: "Yes I did mean 1991". I keep trying to keep myself younger but it hasn't been working to well.

As for Wesley, we had a falling out about a year ago and I haven't talked to him since. He has a penchant for taking junk parts and old bodies and necks and putting together some really crap guitars but he's happy doing that so who am I to say.
ankh

Post by ankh »

dear mr Palecki,first of all thanks for posting so many pics and info and taking your time answerin to our questions.

I would like to know your opinion about the choice of wood used in such guitars and how much the double shape influenced the response.I know that usually mass increases sustain-and i'm painting with very wide strokes what i'm sayn'-but i think due to the construction,in this case things were a bit different.
I ask you so since you have heard the guitars unplugged too.

I also would like to know-given the specs and the shape-if or what would you have liked to change,in the pu's or hardware choice.

Thanks for your patience.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

To Ankh, I'm actually not certain that the shape has much to do with the tone. As for my guitars over the years I've had several people mention that my guitars have much better acoustics than normal when played unplugged. The only thing I do and prefer is that I use lacquer primer which breathes more than the hard catalyzed type and doesn't seal the wood pores as solidly. I'm probably guessing but that's how it works out for me.
The type of woods used has more affect on the tone more than anything else. Then you get into the electronics and on and on. Back in the eighties I would have young guys come into my shop and ask me to make them a body with a certain type of wood. so I'd ask them if they had a good sized electronics rack with most saying yes. So then I'd have to explain that you probably can't tell the difference when playing through a rack like that. But they'd insist and I'd end up doing what they wanted anyway.
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

doublev2 wrote:Did you consult vv on the double neck and basses that were also advertised at namm?
Tom do you have any plans for other v shaped guitars not in vv design?
Actually I do. As I was fooling around with one of my drawings of Vinnie's double V, I mirrored 1/2 of the guitar lengthwise and removed the shadow fins and this is the result. I named it the Arrow and I plan to finish it in gold leaf like the VV. I haven't got an ETA yet with all the other work I've got to do but one of these days . . . . At fret #1 you can see the inlay design to go with the guitar. Planning to use gold mother of pearl on the inlays too. I'm also looking at making the truss rod cover cast in the shape of a flaked arrow head with the AZG logo cut into it (or them).

Iceman75

Post by Iceman75 »

Killer!!!
ankh

Post by ankh »

AZGuitars wrote:To Ankh, I'm actually not certain that the shape has much to do with the tone. As for my guitars over the years I've had several people mention that my guitars have much better acoustics than normal when played unplugged. The only thing I do and prefer is that I use lacquer primer which breathes more than the hard catalyzed type and doesn't seal the wood pores as solidly. I'm probably guessing but that's how it works out for me.
The type of woods used has more affect on the tone more than anything else. Then you get into the electronics and on and on. Back in the eighties I would have young guys come into my shop and ask me to make them a body with a certain type of wood. so I'd ask them if they had a good sized electronics rack with most saying yes. So then I'd have to explain that you probably can't tell the difference when playing through a rack like that. But they'd insist and I'd end up doing what they wanted anyway.
thanks a lot for your answer, very kind:).When i try out a new guitar, i first look at the kind of finish,then i try to hear it unplugged,that' to me is the real test.Then it is guitar straight into the amp,on the clean channel.Too often youtube test just show guitars with tons of od or distortion,already the format of youtube chaange things out a lot,so you have to guess,but usuaally i prefer just to try the guitars myself.I have several guitars with a lacquer finish and they sound great.I know about young guitar players, i've seen that so often,also i've sent tons of hours with my luthier-a great man and a great luthier- and i've expererienced all the weird thigns every luthier has to deal with while meeting the customers's weird demands.Most of the time ,people who ask for a guitar don't really know what they want,my luthier has often said tha t he prefer to build a guitar the way he likes it(lacquer finish, light, great sustain)and sell those,since often rookies ask for a guitar just following trends,and wanted them built in a specific way,even if it is just folowingthings they didn't expereince first hand.After two months they aren't happy with it and they sell the guitar.Then the buyer think that the luthier just wroks that way and it could be bad publicity.

Sorry for the rant, but i've seen how much passion a luthier has for its work and i don't like whene they get abad rap just becasue of people weird expectations
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

Great post Ankh! All I can say is Amen.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

And ankh lives in my favourite city.. Naples! Yes I guess asking a guitar maker to build the guitar they want to build is a great idea. I am a big fan of weird stuff so maybe that's at least interesting. I guess copying fender and gibson designs gets really old.
Bye Bye
AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

doublev2 wrote:And ankh lives in my favourite city.. Naples! Yes I guess asking a guitar maker to build the guitar they want to build is a great idea. I am a big fan of weird stuff so maybe that's at least interesting. I guess copying fender and gibson designs gets really old.
I was already sick of cookie cutter guitars back in 1984 and that's one reason why I started doin' what I'm doin'.
ankh

Post by ankh »

thanks mr Palecki,too kind :oops:.

A couple of examples:

A freind of mine many years ago(around 2000) asked my luthier to build him a custom made guitar.He chose the hardware and the pickups.

THe guitar was made of mahogany body, birdseyemaple neck, ebony fingerboard,sperzel locking tuners.
HSH configuration, one little JB at he neck(by Duncan) a custom wound single in the middle and then one Di marzio evolution at the bridge.Fiive position switch and push pull tone,plus volume.Lacquer transparent finish.The guitar was light and had great sustain unplugged.

First problem, the BRAND NEW Ibanez brand new lo pro edge couldn't stay in tune.THe problem lied inthe two little blades near the pivots,the ones the whole trem swings by.
Since my luthier was working in the airport,he asked a friend of his to build two brand new reninforced metal Blades.SO he replaced the Ibanez ones with those two.Problem solved.

The guitar price was around the equivalent of 1000 dollars.

After two months, this friend of mine sold the guitar, since "in the position two and four didn't sound like a stratocaster"(wonder why...........LOL): He then bought a mexican stratocaster.
MY luthier, when he met me,without knowing what already happend,asked me " has he already sold the guitar? I'm sure he did"with a knowing smile.

Another example:

OMNe guitarist who worked as demostrator in a local guitar shop-a person with such an enflated ego i couldn't stand- went to my luthier complainin about the dull sound of his tele.He demanded to him to change the pickups with brand new custom wound pu's for tele,claiming that the stock pickups weren't good.Ten went home MY luthier did that.For him the guitar sounded fine.So he was paid and the guitar returned home.

THe same person called the luthier again, complaining that nothin changed,so the luthier did ask him to go to his place and bring the guitar(the owner already did spend more than two hundred bucks in custom pickups,what was en vogue at the time).He did go,and played the guitar in the guitar amp.
Bewildered, he did complain"Can you hear? Again, dull sound, muffled,lifeless, just a mess".

MY luthier looked at him calmly and asked" Did you open the tone control on the guitar"?

Silence.

The customer did open the tone control.The guitar sounded fine.

During all the tests at home with both the old and the new pup's he never did open the tone control.

True story

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

Slayer

Post by Slayer »

doublev2 wrote:And ankh lives in my favourite city.. Naples! Yes I guess asking a guitar maker to build the guitar they want to build is a great idea. I am a big fan of weird stuff so maybe that's at least interesting. I guess copying fender and gibson designs gets really old.

Ankh,
Is Vesuvius (Vesuvio) nice and quiet?

Kev :-)
ankh

Post by ankh »

Slayer wrote:

Ankh,
Is Vesuvius (Vesuvio) nice and quiet?

Kev :-)
Shhh :wink: ,as you can see the Vesusius is sleeping nicely :wink: :
(pic taken with my cellephone from my balcony,sorry for the quality).

Vesuvius is still active but in the sleeping mode.

The area called Pozzuoli, in the north of naples is way more dangerous right now:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozzuoli
Near that there's a very special area :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfatara_(volcano)
you can have a guided tour ,it is like being inside a volcano,and ,in some places,dangerous.

Last but not least, in the zone between Calabria and Sicily ,under the sea lies one of the biggest volcanoes of the whole europe,The seamount is about 3,000 m (9,800 feet) tall; its peak and crater are about 450 m below the sea surface. :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsili

This is the one that causesd major concern.

Sorry for the OT :oops:

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I have been on etna when erupting. The lava is slow as hell so wasn't too worried.
Naples has best pizza but I love panzerotti from bari. Here in London a guy who worked at da Michele in Naples opened up great pizza place though.

If anyone travels in Italy please go to Naples ahead of toscany. Tuscanay nice but a bit boring and stuck up. Naples and south is where fun is. In my opinion
Bye Bye
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Dino,
I remember that your vegetarian but do you eat dairy? Does your favorite pizza have cheese on it?

Ankh,
Great and serene picture of the shadow of Vesuvius from your balcony. Let me explain myself and my comment will make more sense. My degree is in Earth Science and my interest was volcanoes. I don't use what I was educated for because I don't like the earning potential and all the traveling. Therefore I sell food for a living LOL :-) I have studied the volcanoes of Hawaii, Canada, USA and the Caribbean Sea and I'm well read on most areas especially South America even though I haven't visited there.

For our friends down under how about:

Mt. Gambier
Mt. Warning
Mt. Wellington
Warrumbungle or the Undara Volcano?

I have discussed this part of my past a little with Yukihiro (Onefinger) who lives on the Island of Honshu not too far from Mt. Fuji.

Thank you for the great Wikipedia links

Take care,

Kev
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

They're all dead in Oz, Kev. The Undara lava tubes about a two hour drive from me.

http://undara.com.au/tours/

Nearby there are some hot water springs but that's about the extent of volcanic activity in Oz.
ankh

Post by ankh »

Slayer wrote:Dino,
I remember that your vegetarian but do you eat dairy? Does your favorite pizza have cheese on it?

Ankh,
Great and serene picture of the shadow of Vesuvius from your balcony. Let me explain myself and my comment will make more sense. My degree is in Earth Science and my interest was volcanoes. I don't use what I was educated for because I don't like the earning potential and all the traveling. Therefore I sell food for a living LOL :-) I have studied the volcanoes of Hawaii, Canada, USA and the Caribbean Sea and I'm well read on most areas especially South America even though I haven't visited there.

For our friends down under how about:

Mt. Gambier
Mt. Warning
Mt. Wellington
Warrumbungle or the Undara Volcano?

I have discussed this part of my past a little with Yukihiro (Onefinger) who lives on the Island of Honshu not too far from Mt. Fuji.

Thank you for the great Wikipedia links

Take care,

Kev

Earth Science is such a wonderful and interestign subject,i've thought you were into that by your comment.I uderstand what you mean when it comes to earnign potential and traveling.Thee choice you made also makes it possible to separate your work form you passion and therefore keepign your interests and passion intact.Many people in such fields don't earn what they desrve and end up hating their work,just because of all the difficulties theuy have to put up with.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Perfectly stated Ankh!
ankh

Post by ankh »

:oops:

let's go back on topic.

Mr Palecki,sorry for the long OT.

Back on those guitars,may i ask you which one sounded the best for you?

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

AZGuitars

Post by AZGuitars »

I really didn't get much of a chance to play them as the show was coming up within days and I had to get the display components constructed. Basically I tested each one just make sure they were working ok and actually didn't notice much in the way of tone differences. The third knobs were for a rotary switch which I used so that there would be 3 matching knobs. They controlled some phase shifting in the pickups but I didn't have enough time to get them hooked up. The guitars were not handled nor played by the booth visitors ( at Vinnie's request ) but I did let a few guys take photos holding them. I suppose when the photos were posted on the web that Vinnie
saw them and got pissed off. He was monitoring everything that got posted and I'm sure he was not happy with what was going on and was trying to manipulate everything by cell phone from Smyrna.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

AZGuitars wrote:... He was monitoring everything that got posted and I'm sure he was not happy with what was going on and was trying to manipulate everything by cell phone from Smyrna.
I still think he was sitting in a nearby hotel room... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It reminds me of a little thing that someone once told me about the Devil. You spend all your life in fear of the Devil and when judgement day comes along, you see this puny little fuck with no power and you say,"I have been afraid of YOU all this time ???? "

Vinnie has no more power that sprouts from intimidation.

NEWBEGINNINGS
ankh

Post by ankh »

thanks so much for your descriptive and complete answer!

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL: