Whammy bar technique-FLUTTER

The VVFF has some talented members, here is where you can check them out
poserboy71

Whammy bar technique-FLUTTER

Post by poserboy71 »

Since we have started talking about this technique, let's share our favorite examples and try to find the earliest example we can.

Who originated this technique? Was it Hendrix, Beck, Townshend, Gillis, Vai ?

My favorite flutters :
The VVI discs had great moments in fluttered history
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
At the very end of the song----
[youtube][/youtube]
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Re: Whammy bar technique-FLUTTER

Post by shramiac »

Ashes to Ashes when Vinnie plays the descending whole tone scale flutters at the end of the solo!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

by shramiac » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:10 am

tukoztukoz wrote:
It seems he didn’t flutter with Kiss and before Kiss

There is live footage from the LIU tour where Vinnie is doing it during his solo! Gillis and Vai are best known for it though.

Not surprised at all if Beck was doing it though. In the movie Twins, he is in the house band at a club (Arnie, "But you're forgetting the second rule of combat"!) and he has a little flutter during the solo whilst playing a Strat....what he recorded the song with in the studio though...who knows?
That’s right, I should have said on studio albums. Maybe Gene and Paul didn’t like it ? I think Gene would have loved a Vinnie flutter on « Fits like a glove » for example, when he says « It’s just like a hot knife - FLUTTER- through… ». Flutter sounds so wild...
Did Vinnie use this technique live on Creatures tour? Not sure.

About the movie Twins, I've read that one of the two twins is named "Vincent" :!: the other twin had it all from the scientific/genetic experiment, ...
They said the movie came out in 1988. I don't know every Jeff Beck record, but I remember hearing flutter in "Flash" 1985 and Mick Jagger's "Primitive Cool" 1987. I've read somewhere on this forum that Jeff Beck ordered one of the first twenty Jackson. Maybe he developped his technique with that guitar, until Fender designed the new two point trem a few years later?
say two sky two say fare
rock1ankh

Post by rock1ankh »

This here is a good example of this technique, did not know it was called FLUTTER, always call the Whammy bar technique hahaha.

[youtube][/youtube]

Steve stevens uses a similar technique in the video, it's very complicated to do, need a good floyd rose.

[youtube][/youtube]
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

[youtube][/youtube]

I thought there was no flutter on the Lick it up album. I was wrong, Vinnie uses it at 2.09 on Gimme more for example, and on other songs too (I listened to that great record today...).
Nice pictures here on this video...
say two sky two say fare
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

TT, I am not sure if the example at 2:09 is truly a flutter. It just sounds like some quick Vinnie whammy damage.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

No, it is flutter.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

It's less obvious than on Animal, it's true. Maybe the '83 trem he used was tired and didn't flutter a lot, like some Fender Jazzmaster with a floating trem (flutters, but very discretly).

Too bad Vinnie doesn't talk about this directly...
say two sky two say fare
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

See at 1.30. Brad Gillis tells about how he discovered flutter. Brlrphh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovVk9Ataeh4
say two sky two say fare